Connect with us

Arewa

Nigerian newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Sunday morning

Published

on

Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. The FCT Minister, Malam Muhammed Bello has approved the extension of market days in Abuja. Bello in a statement issued on Saturday, said the market will now open three times in a week. Bello said effective May 25th, market will operate as from 8 am to 3 am on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. He also said that as from Monday, additional section of the market will be opened. This will include Agricultural inputs for farm activities such as fertilizer, herbicides, seeds and agricultural equipments. Building materials section will be opened for business too.

2. Nigeria on Saturday recorded zero COVID-19 related death. This was confirmed in a tweet by the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC). The agency had said Lagos recorded the highest number of cases with 133 infected persons, while Oyo State followed with 34 new cases. Recall that the NCDC had while confirming 245 cases of coronavirus on Friday noted that the number of deaths in the country had risen to 221. But there was no record of death on Saturday.

3. The Lagos State Government on Saturday, discharged 40 COVID-19 patients. This was disclosed in a statement on the State Ministry of Health’s official Twitter page. The discharged patients consist 22 females and 23 males.

4. Authorities of Bonny Local Government Area of Rivers State has said they have launched an investigation into the mysterious deaths being recorded in the area. Chairman of Bonny Local Government Area, David Irimagha, said this in a statement by his Special Assistance on Media and Publicity, Williams Agwu. Irimagha stated that he is aware of the public concerns and expression of discomfort over the sudden prevalence of malaria and typhoid, loss of taste and smells, which calls for the government’s urgent attention.

5. President Muhammadu Buhari Saturday appealed for understanding from Nigerians over the prolonged COVID-19 lockdown. In a statement signed by his spokesman, Garba Shehu, Buhari appealed for patience while stressing that no government intentionally imposes tough measures on its people.

6. The Kogi State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Abuja has affirmed the election of Governor Yahaya Bello. A petition against Bello’s election had been filed by Musa Wada, the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2019 election. The judgment on Saturday was two against one. Delivered by the Tribunal Chairman, Justice Kashim Kaigama, the panel held that the petitioner failed to prove his allegations and awarded a cost of one million Naira to be paid by the petitioners to INEC, Yahaya Bello and APC who are the respondents.

7. Former Nigerian Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, has said that the COVID-19 outbreak was a test from God. Atiku stated this in a Sallah message on Saturday. He urged Nigerians to continue to adhere to physical distancing and personal hygiene.

8. The Kaduna State Healthcare Workers Unions and Associations have commenced a 7-day warning strike. The Kaduna State Government had rejected the planned strike action by the Congress of Health Workers Unions and Associations in the state. At the end of the union’s joint meeting, it was observed that the Kaduna State government deducted 25% of salaries from about 11,000 of healthcare workers in the midst of COVID-19 ( April and May), stressing that the action was done in violation of section 5 of the Labour Act, hence the need for the action.

9. The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has maintained that churches will not open, despite increased pressure from leaders and members. This was contained in a statement personally signed by CAN President, Rev. Supo Ayokunle, on Friday. According to Ayokunle, the relaxation of lockdown has seen the country witnessing more coronavirus infection.

10. Hon. Dora Siliya. Zambia Minister for Information and Broadcasting Services, has tested positive for COVID-19. Siliya who made this known in a video she shared on Saturday said she has since gone into self-isolation. The Minister who is also the Chief Government Spokesperson said although she had taken precautions earlier, she was still confirmed positive on Saturday.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending