Connect with us

World News

Trump attends Ultimate Fighting Championship to sound of boos and cheers | US News

Published

on

Donald Trump was booed and cheered as he arrived at a Ultimate Fighting Championship match attended by celebrities in central New York.

The mixed response could be heard loudly as the US president took his seat with his sons Don Jr and Eric at the event in Madison Square Garden.

He had come to see Nate Diaz and Jorge Masdival and other fighters take part in a series of mixed martial arts bouts.

Mr Trump has longstanding ties to UFC and sat just a few rows from the cage where fighters hit and kicked each other.

He did not react as one of the fighters was knocked unconscious but frequently waved to the raucous crowd, despite the earlier mixed reception.

It came days after the president announced on Twitter that he was switching his family’s long-term residence to Florida from New York City.

He said on his social media feed that he had been “treated very badly by the political leaders” in New York, the state where he was born and his business is still based.

US President Donald Trump waves to the crowd as he attends a UFC match

Image:
US President Donald Trump waves to the crowd as he attends a UFC match

Mr Trump and his businesses are the subject of several investigations in the state, which has a Democratic governor, senators and majority in the state senate and assembly.

He will also benefit from Florida’s lower tax rate.

Days before, he was roundly booed and faced a “lock him up!” chant at a World Series game he attended in Washington.

In response to a New York Post article saying there had been “more boos” at the UFC event, Mr Trump retweeted a post put out by his son Don Jr which said: “Despite the bulls*** from blue checkmark Twitter, when we walked into the arena it was overwhelmingly positive. @danawhite said it was the most electrifying entrance he seen in 25 years of doing this. @ufc”

He also retweeted a post from professional mixed martial arts fighter Tara LaRosa, which featured video footage in which boos and cheers can be heard, saying: “Pres. Trump arrives at Madison Square Garden to a positive reaction from the crowd ahead of #UFC244”

Eric Trump was also retweeted by his father, in a post that said: “At #UFC244 – chanting ‘Donald Trump, Donald Trump… USA USA'”

Donald Trump sits with his sons Eric and Don Jr and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy

Image:
Donald Trump sits with his sons Eric and Don Jr and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy

The championship belt was awarded to Masvidal by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

Mr Trump has known UFC head Dana White since 2001, when a UFC battle was hosted at the now closed Trump Taj Mahal hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Mr White has said he will “never say anything negative about Donald Trump”, and spoke at the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland in his favour.

Facebook Comments

World News

China condemns ‘attack’ on Hong Kong official in London | UK News

Published

on

The Chinese and Hong Kong governments have condemned an “attack” on a Hong Kong government official in London.

Protesters were involved in an altercation with Hong Kong’s Secretary for Justice Teresa Cheng during her visit to London on Thursday.

A statement from the Hong Kong government said Ms Cheng suffered “serious bodily harm”, but gave no further details.

Video footage of the incident shows the minister falling to the ground.

Hong Kong’s leader Carrie Lam strongly condemned the “attack”, saying the incident was brutal and transcended the bottom line of a civilised society.

“The secretary denounces all forms of violence and radicalism depriving others’ legitimate rights in the pretext of pursuing their political ideals, which would never be in the interest of Hong Kong and any civilised society,” the Hong Kong government said in a separate statement.

The Chinese and Hong Kong governments have condemned an

Image:
The Hong Kong government said Ms Cheng suffered ‘serious bodily harm’

The Chinese embassy in the UK has urged UK police to carry out a thorough investigation of the incident and to step up security for its personnel and organisations in Britain.

In Hong Kong, a 70-year-old man has died after being struck on the head during clashes between government supporters and protesters.

Hong Kong’s Food and Environmental Hygiene Department expressed “profound sadness” at the death of its cleaning worker and said it was providing assistance to his family.

Meanwhile, anti-government protesters have again paralysed parts of Hong Kong, forcing schools to close and blocking some roads as students built barricades in university campuses.

The protests escalated in June over an extradition bill that would have allowed people to be sent to mainland China for trial.

The bill was later scrapped but the protests have since evolved into calls for greater democracy, among other demands.

The months-long protests have plunged the former British colony into its biggest political crisis in decades and pose the biggest challenge to Chinese President Xi Jinping since he came to power in 2012.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

World News

Israel and Islamic Jihad reach ceasefire after dozens killed | World News

Published

on

Israel and the militant group Islamic Jihad have begun a ceasefire after at least 34 Palestinians were killed in the heaviest fighting in months.

Almost half of the dead were civilians, including eight children and three women, medical officials in Gaza said.

Eight members of one Gaza family were killed by an Israeli missile strike shortly before the truce came into effect, officials and residents said.

They claimed none of the victims were militants.

Palestinians gather at the scene of an Israeli air strike in the central Gaza Strip

Image:
Palestinians gather at the scene of an Israeli airstrike in the central Gaza Strip

However, Israeli military spokesman Major Avichay Adraee said the head of the family, Rasmi Abu Malhous, who was among the dead, was the commander of Islamic Jihad rocket crews in the central Gaza Strip, although the group has not claimed him as a member.

Some of the family’s bodies were completely buried in sandy earth, neighbours helping rescue workers to pull them out.

In two days of fighting, southern Israel was paralysed as militants fired hundreds of rockets across the border, injuring dozens of people.

Hamas, the dominant faction in Gaza, appeared to stay out of this round of fighting.

The clashes began early on Tuesday after Israel killed one of Islamic Jihad’s senior commanders, Bahaa Abu el-Atta, who it had deemed to be an imminent threat.

He was claimed to be behind a string of rocket attacks, and was believed to be planning cross-border infiltration, Israel said.

Rockets are fired from Gaza towards Israel

Image:
Rockets are fired from Gaza towards Israel

The Egyptian-brokered ceasefire began at 5.30am (03.30 GMT), about 48 hours after the fighting began, Islamic Jihad spokesman Musab al-Berim said.

“The ceasefire began under Egyptian sponsorship after the Occupation (Israel) submitted to the conditions set by Islamic Jihad on behalf of Palestinian resistance factions,” he said.

An Israeli military spokesman announced that its Gaza operation was over on Twitter.

“Quiet will be answered with quiet,” Israel’s foreign minister, Israel Katz, told its Army Radio.

Islamic Jihad, like Hamas, refuses to accept permanent coexistence with Israel.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

World News

Evo Morales: Bolivia’s president quits over electoral fraud claims

Published

on

Bolivian President Evo Morales has resigned amid deepening unrest over allegations of electoral fraud.

The announcement came after the country’s military chief went on TV on Sunday to call for him to step down.

Mr Morales has endured weeks of anti-government protests since his election victory last month was called into question, with the Organization of American States later discovering “clear manipulation” at the polls.

Concerns were initially raised about a day-long gap in reporting results from the poll, just before a spike in votes for Mr Morales.

Mr Morales, who came to power in 2006, had promised a fresh election.

In his TV appeal, General Williams Kaliman said: “After analysing the situation of internal conflict, we ask the president to resign, allowing peace to be restored and stability to be maintained for the good of our Bolivia.”

He also urged Bolivians not to resort to violence.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2019 - AREWANG Media Limited