Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Ahead of the November 6 governorship election in Anambra State, the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Usman Baba, has ordered not less than 100 senior police officers to provide adequate security in the State. A statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, disclosed that the officers would be led by the DIG in charge of Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID), Joseph Egbunike.
2. Abdullahi Mohammed Gobirawa, a suspected informant of bandits terrorizing residents of Kaduna, has been beaten to death. Angry youths were said to have stormed his residence where they killed him alongside his wife and son.
3. The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic (ASUP) says establishment of polytechnics in Nigeria is fast becoming mere constituency projects to satisfy political convenience. ASUP President, Anderson Ezeibe, stated this in Abuja on Tuesday at a two-day Workshop themed: “Advocacy Roundtable on the Future of Nigerian Polytechnics” organised by the union.
4. Former Senate President, Bukola Saraki has said some bigwigs and a former governor will defect to the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) from the ruling party this week. In an interview on Tuesday, Saraki said some members of the APC were currently concluding plans to join the PDP ahead of the 2023 general election.
5. The Federal Government on Tuesday, said it will take care of petrol subsidy in the first six months of 2022. Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, disclosed this at a panel session during the ongoing Nigerian Economic Summit (NES#27) in Abuja.
6. President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, said initiatives to drive the digital economy and fight corruption in the country should give investors “a lot of comforts”. Among the initiatives mentioned by the president are e-Naira, Treasury Single Account, Bank Verification Number, and National Identification Number.
7. Members of South-West Governors Forum, on Tuesday, met in Lagos State to discuss insecurity, investment, and other issues of interest in the region. Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu hosted his colleagues at the State House, three days after gunmen attacked a prison in Ibadan and freed inmates.
8. The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, on Tuesday, challenged the Federal Government to immediately arrest fiery Islamic clerical, Sheikh Ahmed Gumi. CAN Director of National Issues and Social Welfare, Bishop Stephen Adegbite, in an interview on Tuesday, said security agencies should also swing into action by investigating the claim made by the Muslim scholar that declaring bandits as terrorists by the government would come with a price.
9. The Federal Government, Tuesday said that N30 billion has been approved for the Polytechnics and Colleges of Education in the country. The approval came on the heels of series of agitations for better welfare for members by the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics, ASUP. The Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu disclosed this at a round table organized by ASUP in Abuja with the theme “Repositioning Nigeria’s Polytechnics for National Relevance and Global Competitiveness.”
10. Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the Pan-Igbo socio-cultural organization, has warned against the harsh effects of the planned one week sit-at-home directive by the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB in the southeast region. In a statement by its Secretary General, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro, Ohanaeze maintained that the planned one week sit-at-home declared by IPOB was gradually having severe and destructive impacts on the genuine quest of the people to enhance and harness the economic potentials of the southeast for her development.
World News2 weeks ago
France pledges to ‘fight every day’ to uphold fishermen’s rights amid Brexit row with UK
Business1 week ago
FG announces date Nigeria Air will finally commence operations
News1 week ago
Yoruba group accuses PDP of plot to undermine Amotekun operations
Crime1 week ago
We didn’t burn houses, shops in Imo community – IPOB/ESN
Crime1 week ago
NDLEA arrests Liberia-based drug trafficker with 9.30kg cocaine in Abuja
Law1 week ago
Diezani loses bid to recover $40m jewellery seized by Nigerian govt
News1 week ago
Former United’s coaxh Solskjaer clashed with Carrick before sack
News3 weeks ago
EPL: Zidane’s conditions to replace Solskjaer as Manchester United manager revealed