Connect with us

Buhari

Xenophobia: Nigerian Embassy in South Africa speaks on alleged “arrest of Nigerians” during evacuation

Published

on

Nigeria Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, on Friday said no Nigerian was arrested in the cause of evacuation of those voluntarily wish to leave South Africa following xenophobic attacks on them.

DAILY POST recalls that reports emerged on Wednesday that the South African authorities are frustrating the evacuation of Nigerians who have completed processes for the first batch of airlift from that country.

But reacting, Adama in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) said that no returnee was detained or refused to board flight on Wednesday by South African Authorities.

He stated that although some Nigerians had immigration problems, they were quickly fixed.

The consul general added that what happened was that many of the returnees missed the flights because of their uncoordinated attitudes.

He said the delay in the evacuation process was caused by misplacement of travel documents as required by South Africa immigration laws.

“Some will still tell you that they put their documents inside bags that had been checked into the plane; some even said that they had theirs stolen and all that.

“Then others have issues of expired passports,’’ he said.

Adama said the evacuation process was difficult, adding that the second batch flight had to be rescheduled to enable those who had issues with their documents resolve it.

“We did not transport anybody on Thursday.

“We are waiting to prepare properly because we lost some spaces in the aircraft on Wednesday due to the attitudes of some of our people.

“If you give instructions, they will not follow; calling them, they will not pick; even when they hear their names, they will not respond.

“So, because of documentation, a lot of people missed the flight but nobody was detained.

“Everybody that had issue with immigration was resolved and we ensured they all travelled.’’

Adama, however, admitted that there were obstacles in the process and that there were hitches at one point or the other, but that the mission solved every problem and everybody travelled.

The envoy explained that some of the returnees were interrogated by the immigration but the mission secured their release.

He said that there was a case of a woman, who wanted to travel with children that were not her own, adding that the case was treated as that of human trafficking.

“We equally resolved that too as the father of the children came to the airport for identification.

“We want to ensure that we have more than enough passengers as we do not want more seats to be empty.

“We are liaising with the South African authorities too; we are putting up a joint meeting with the host immigration service and other protocols.

“We are all on the same page before the next exercise.

“The next batch of passengers will not be Friday because we are not prepared for that but we want to finalise and send them the manifest.’’

Facebook Comments

Buhari

Banditry: Buhari issues fresh orders to security agencies

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has called on security agencies and communities under threat of bandits’ attacks and kidnappings to be more vigilant and alert in the light of the latest incidents in Enugu, Zamfara, Adamawa, Katsina and Kaduna States.

A statement to DAILY POST by Garba Shehu, his Spokesman said Buhari was reacting to the recent reports of heightened acts of violence and kidnappings after a period of relative inactivity in different parts of the country.

The President observed that “in view of the unpredictability of the security situation, our security forces and the communities affected should be ever more alert because these murderous and remorseless criminals would take advantage of your complacency and strike again.”

According to the President, “the bandits should under no circumstances be allowed to hold the country to ransom on account of security loopholes which they seek to exploit to strike at their victims. The criminals always look for loopholes in our security system in order to remain in business and active, but we shouldn’t give them the space to achieve this diabolical objective by pre-empting them.”

President Buhari added that “complacency is a hidden or unnoticed enemy that we shouldn’t take for granted because doing so could weaken our strategies.”

The President, however, noted that the affected communities also have a responsibility to help the security agencies with the critically important human intelligence in order to stop the bandits in their tracks.

According to the President, “the bandits maintain networks of informants among the communities they attack”, adding that “by identifying and reporting these informants to the authorities, it would be by far easier to foil the bandits before they reach their intended targets.”

Commending the security agencies for their dedication and sacrifice, President Buhari directed them to “redouble their efforts and make life uncomfortable for the bandits.”

“You should spare no effort in breaking the backbones of these savage mass killers and don’t hesitate to attack them with merciless intensity until they are crushed and ultimately defeated”, the President said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Buhari

Buhari signs another open defecation bill into law

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari Wednesday signed Executive Order 009 entitled, ‘The Open Defecation-Free Nigeria by 2025 and Other Related Matters Order’ into law.

The Order declares as follows:

That by this Order, Nigeria is committed to being open defecation free by 2025.

That the National Open Defecation Free (ODF) Roadmap developed by the Federal Ministry of Water Resources with support from other key sector players across Nigeria be put into effect.

a. There is established in the Federal Ministry of Water Resources a National Secretariat called “Clean Nigeria Campaign Secretariat.”

b. The Secretariat is authorized on behalf of the President to implement this Order by ensuring that all public places including schools, hotels, fuel stations, places of worship, market places, hospitals and offices have accessible toilets and latrines within their premises.

All Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) of government shall cooperate with the Clean Nigeria Campaign Secretariat.

The National Assembly and the State Houses of Assembly shall enact legislation on the practice of open defecation with appropriate sanctions and penalties.

All development projects shall include construction of sanitation facilities as an integral part of the approval and implementation process.

The Secretariat shall terminate when Nigeria is declared Open Defecation Free.

All enforcement authorities are hereby directed to diligently collaborate with the Federal Ministry of Water Resources in implementing this Order.

The Executive Order 009 came into being against the background that:

Nigeria is ranked second amongst the nations in the world with the highest number of people practising open defecation estimated at over 46 million people – a practice which has had a negative effect on the populace, and has contributed to the country’s failure to meet the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs);

President Buhari had described the statistics on open defecation and access to pipe-borne water service and sanitation as disturbing, and had declared commitment to implement the National Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Action Plan.

The President had declared a State of Emergency on Nigeria’s water supply, sanitation and hygiene sector, the action being imperative as it will reduce the high prevalence of water-borne diseases in different parts of the country which have caused preventable deaths.

Nigeria is committed to ending open defecation throughout the country by 2025 in consonance with her commitment to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

This Executive Order takes effect from Wednesday, November 20, 2019.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Buhari

Shugaba Buhari na bukatar Kafa Kotunan Musamman

Published

on

(VOA Hausa)

Wannan a cewar shugaba Buhari, zai taimaka ainun wajen magance matsalar tsaiko da ake samu a shari’o’in cin hanci da rashawa a kotunan kasar.

Buhari ya yi wannan kiran ne sa’adda ya bude wani taron kasa na kwanaki biyu a kan yaki da cin hanci da rashawa a aikin gwamnatin, wanda hukumar yaki da ayyukan cin hanci da rashawa ta ICPC, tare da ofishin Sakataren Gwamnatin Tarayya suka shirya a fadar gwamnatin da ke Abuja.

Ya ce kafa kotuna na musamman na shari’o’in cin hanci da rashawa, zai baiwa gwamnatin damar cimma burin ta na ganin an kwato dukiyoyi na haram da kadarorin da aka mallaka ba bisa ka’ida ba, da kuma uwa uba, hukunta wadanda aka kama da aikata irin wadannan laifuka.

Shugaban kasar yayi amfani da damar taron inda ya bayyana irin illoli da matsalar cin hanci da rashawa ya ke haifarwa ga tattalin arzikin Najeriya da rayuwar al’ummar ta.

Da ya ke karin haske a kan jawabin shugaban kasa a wurin taron, Kakakin Fadar Shugaban Kasa Garba Shehu, ya ce “akwai damuwa a bangaren gwamnatin da hukumar ICPC, yadda ake daukar tsawon lokaci kafin a yanke hukunci a shari’un da suka shafi cin hanci da rashawa a kotunan yau da kullum”.

Garba Shehu ya ce wannan yanayin yana shafar kudurorin gwamnatin na inganta sha’anin ilimi da yaki da ta’addanci da kalubalen tsaro da ya addabi yankuna da dama na kasar.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2019 - AREWANG Media Limited