1. President Muhammadu Buhari, on Tuesday presented the 2020 appropriation bill before a joint session of the National Assembly. The President submitted N10.7trillion for the year 2020 budget estimates.
2. The Peoples Democratic Party has urged the National Assembly to redirect the 2020 budget to areas that would better serve the interest of majority of Nigerians. The party said the budget would further impoverish Nigerians and mortgage the future of the nation.
3. President Muhammadu Buhari has warned that any Federal Government worker not captured on the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System, IPPIS, by October 31 would not be paid his monthly salary. He said this was part of the FG efforts aimed at managing personnel costs in line with its fight against corruption.
4. The panel set up by the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) to unravel the circumstances surrounding the killing of three police detectives and two civilians by soldiers in Taraba State has recommended further investigation of indicted culprits. It said those indicted should be brought to book in accordance with extant laws.
5. Senator Emmanuel Bwacha representing Taraba South Senatorial district has insisted that in all fairness, the South East region of the country deserves the chance to produce the next President of Nigeria in 2023.
6. President of the Senate, Ahamd Lawan has expressed the resolve of the two chambers of the National Assembly to fast track the passage of the 2020 appropriation Bill before the end of next month.
7. Guru Maharaj Ji, a Nigerian Spiritual Leader, has advised the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP in the last election, Atiku Abubakar to accept the outcome of the election and the ruling of the Presidential Election Tribunal Court and move on.
8. President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the Finance Bill 2020 he forwarded to the National Assembly, when passed into law, will permit government to raise the country’s Value Added Tax (VAT) from 5 to 7.5 per cent.
9. The House of Reps has suspended plenary sessions from Thursday, Oct. 10 until Nov. 30 to enable its committees to pass the 2020 budget by December. Rep. Benjamin Kalu, Spokesman of the house, said that the suspension is in a bid to restore the January to December budget cycle.
10. The All Progressives Congress (APC) has welcomed the commitment of both the executive and legislative arms to ensure budget passage is returned to January-December cycle after the presentation of the 2020 Appropriation Bill to a joint session of the National Assembly on Tuesday by President Muhammadu Buhari.
BREAKING: Another torture centre with 11 inmates uncovered in Zaria
An illegal rehabilitation home that had transformed into a house of horror where inmates are tortured and left to writhe in pains has been discovered in Zaria, Kaduna State.
The discovery, which was made on Tuesday, left many across the city in shock.
At least 11 inmates made up of men and children were removed from the illegal facility.
The latest incident follows the discoveries of other unauthorised rehabilitation centres in Rigasa under Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna, and another in Katsina State.
Many of the inmates in those places were bound with chains and had various torture marks all over their bodies.
Man dies after drowning in kano
Speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria, the Public Relations Officer, Kano State Fire Service, Malam Saidu Mohammed said the incident happened on Tuesday morning when the deceased went to have his bath.
“We received a distress call today from one Malam Rabiu Abbas at 10.05 a.m. that Mohammed’s body was found floating in the pond.
“On receiving the information, we quickly sent our rescue team to the scene at 10.25 a.m.
“He was conveyed to the Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital, Kano, where the doctors confirmed him dead,” he said.
BREAKING: Benue Assembly member arrested over crime
Agbidye was apprehended in possession of a Toyota Hilux vehicle believed to belong to the late Justice Tine Tur.
He’s currently being taken to Abuja by the mobile squad.
Hon Agbidye is a member of the All Progressives Congress, APC and he won the 2019 Benue State House of Assembly election on the platform of the APC.
Reports from Katsina-Ala before and during the elections said notorious kingpin and wanted man, Terwase Akwaza, alias Gana, who is also said to have strong links with APC allegedly sponsored Jonathan Agbidye for the election “to represent him” in the House.
Gana, it was rumoured, had threatened that anyone who contested and defeated Agbidye would not remain alive to enjoy his tenure in the Assembly.
As a result of Gana’s threat to kill, the PDP candidate in Katsina-Ala who contested against Agbidye refused to file a petition against INEC’s declaration of the APC candidate as winner of the election.
Information has it that someone (name withheld) wrote a petition to the Inspector-General of Police on the suspected criminal activities of Agbidye including his ties with Gana.
The IGP, acting on the petition, detailed his men who began to trail the Benue lawmaker till he was nabbed in possession of the said stolen hilux vehicle.
When contacted, the state’s Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Anene Sewuese Catherine, confirmed the presence of IGP IRT team but yet to get the full details.
“I can confirm the presence of IRT in Benue but not sure of the arrest yet. I will meet with the team leader to get the full details shortly,” she said.
Arewa2 days ago
Three dead as vehicle, ‘keke’ collide in Jos
Arewa3 days ago
Terrorists kill four soldiers in Borno
Arewa3 days ago
Boko Haram: 7 killed, 8 crippled by IED in Borno as army arrests 24 in separate raids
News3 days ago
Residents panic as lion escaped from cage in Kano zoo
Crime1 day ago
Police recover N10m from kidnap gang, arrest 81 suspects
News3 days ago
Five crushed to death by hit-and-run driver in Ondo
World News1 day ago
Trump ‘fully prepared’ to use military force against Turkey to protect Kurds in Syria
Arewa2 days ago
Just in: Kwankwaso attacked in Kano