Connect with us

Buhari

What I told Buhari about Oshiomhole, Obaseki’s fight – Oba of Benin

Published

on

The Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare II, has reacted to the faceoff between the immediate past Governor of the State, Adams Oshiomhole, and his successor, Governor Godwin Obaseki.

The Monarch said he intervened in the feud but the crisis escalated, adding that he had already informed President Muhammadu Buhari of the role he (Oba) was playing to end the fight.

Oba Ewuare II spoke when he received members of the House of Representatives adhoc committee set up to look into the Edo Assembly crisis on Friday.

The Oba said he was about to meet both men again when he heard about the committee.

He said, “Like I told President Buhari that I have been talking to the two parties involved, Oshiomhole and the incumbent governor on different occasions. I have invited both of them to discuss with them but things are escalating too fast.

“I was still planning to meet both of them when I heard the House of Representatives has set up an adhoc committee to look into the issue and I pray that you are successful in this task ahead.”

Abdulrazak Namdas, Chairman of the committee, pointed out that the committee was set up to investigate the crisis in the Edo state House of Assembly and bring lasting solution to the problem.

Speaking with newsmen at the Benin Airport, he said, “I am the chairman of the committee and we are here to do the factfinding to meet with the honourable members, stakeholders, clerk of the house and all the people that are expected to be seen; we are ready to see them today. And then get back to Abuja.

“We have started the process already; this committee has been given just a week, we have met the governor of the state, we have met with other members of the house of assembly, Edo state that are in Abuja. And we are going to meet with the other ones that are here in Edo and the clerk.

“We are men of integrity, we are able politicians in our own right, we have track records to prove and men you can never question their character.”

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Atiku Obasanjo

What Buhari should do with Obasanjo’s latest letter – Shehu Sani

Published

on

Human rights activist, Senator Shehu Sani has thrown his weight behind Olusegun Obasanjo’s open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari which raised concern over the prevailing security challenges currently bedevilling the country.

The former lawmaker, while appreciating the content of the letter on Tuesday, advised that the President should not use Obasanjo’s letter as a toilet roll, but should rather clip it near the dressing mirror.

Sani tweeted: “The messenger is not surely handsome but the message is a Bell and a compass.

“Obj and Baba knows each other more than anyone knows about them.

DAILY POST had reported yesterday that former president Obasanjo released an open letter to President Buhari where he drew the attention of the setting president on the need to address the numerous security challenges facing the country.

Part of the letter read, “I am very much worried and afraid that we are on the precipice and dangerously reaching a tipping point where it may no longer be possible to hold danger at bay.

“The main issue, if I may dare say, is poor management or mismanagement of diversity which, on the other hand, is of our greatest and most important assets. As a result, very onerous cloud is gathering. And rain of destruction, violence, disaster and disunity can be the outcome.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Buhari

Sagay calls Obasanjo “childish” over letter to Buhari

Published

on

An eminent Professor of Law, Itse Sagay (SAN), has branded former president Olusegun Obasanjo “childish and immature”, for making his letter to President Muhammadu Buhari public.

Obasanjo in the letter released by his media aide, Kehinde Akinyemi, had expressed worry over high level of insecurity in the country.

Sagay, speaking to the Nation, however, agreed with the points raised in it.

“As far as I’m concerned, Obasanjo’s main motive is publicity, the capacity to embarrass the President, and for adulation.

“He sustains a mentality of being superintendent-general of Nigeria and not accepting that he is no longer in power. It’s all part of it.

“What he said could have easily been communicated by phone; the letter could have been delivered privately. I find writing it to the whole country immature and childish. He made a serious point, and then spoilt it by the way he presented it.

“If he had said it quietly to the President, it would have been acceptable. Is he not embarrassed that he’s the only former president doing it? Gowon and Abubakar are there, just to mention two. Even Jonathan, who was defeated by Buhari, is there. It’s too childish and immature. It takes away from the quality and the strength of the message he’s trying to deliver,” he said.

Sagay also urged Buhari to sustain efforts in tackling rising insecurity.

“Is the President not already doing that? Can he be the President and not be concerned? Already, the Vice President has spoken of steps being taken – that the roads are going to be heavily monitored by the Police and soldiers.

“I don’t disagree too much with Obasanjo on substance. It is his style that I disagree with, as well as the so-called conference of ethnic stakeholders. I don’t see its relevance. We’ve held so many other conferences out of which nothing came except mutual abuse and insults.

“I think what the President should do is to sustain a very vigorous onslaught and not rest until the bandits and insurgents are rooted out and Nigeria is made safe again.

“He is already doing it and he must sustain it so that we can be free of this menace to our freedom and peace of mind,” Sagay added.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Atiku Obasanjo

We’re still studying Obasanjo’s letter – ACF

Published

on

The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has reacted to the open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari by former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Obasanjo in the letter released by his media aide, Kehinde Akinyemi, had expressed worry over high level of insecurity in the country.

He called on the President to take decisive action to prevent the situation from escalating into a full-blown crisis.

According to the letter: “I am very much worried and afraid that we are on the precipice and dangerously reaching a tipping point where it may no longer be possible to hold danger at bay.

“Without being immodest, as a Nigerian who still bears the scar of the Nigerian civil war on my body and with a son who bears the scar of fighting Boko Haram on his body, you can understand, I hope, why I am so concerned.”

Reacting, the ACF said it was still studying the letter and will speak on it soon.

“Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) is studying Chief Olusegun Obasanjo’s open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari and will make it’s position known soon,” the National Publicity Secretary, Muhammad Ibrahim Biu, told the Nation newspaper.

He did not give further details.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: