Connect with us

Arewa

Supreme Court to get six new Justices – Acting CJN

Published

on

The Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Tanko Muhammad, has called on his colleagues on the bench of the Supreme Court to nominate suitable candidates for appointment as justices of the apex court.

The move, which was sequel to an earlier request by President Muhammadu Buhari, is aimed at meeting the constitutional requirements of 21 justices on the bench of the Supreme Court.

DAILY POST reports that the Nigerian Supreme Court has 15 justices on the bench, after the voluntary retirement of former CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen earlier in June 2019.

However, a memo signed by the Acting CJN, stated that those to be nominated by the justices of the apex court must have proven competence to occupy the bench of the apex court.

The memo, a copy of which was sighted by journalists in Abuja yesterday, was titled ‘Appointment of Six Justices to the Supreme Court of Nigeria’.

It read: “By the provisions of section 230(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended, the Supreme Court of Nigeria shall consist of the CJN and such number of justices of the Supreme Court, not exceeding twenty-one, as maybe prescribed by an Act of the National Assembly.

“As there are 15 justices on the bench at present, it is necessary to take steps to fill the remaining six vacancies to make 21 justices.

“I shall be grateful if you could nominate suitable candidates for consideration for appointment as justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria”.

The Acting CJN added in the memo that nominations should be accompanied with 10 judgments delivered by nominee in contested cases in the last two years preceding the date of nomination in the case of judicial officers and 10 Judgments obtained in contested cases five years preceding the date of nomination in the case of legal practitioners in private practice and certified by competent authorities.

The justices in addition are requested to comment on the suitability of the candidates nominated by them.

The justices have up till Tuesday (today) to send in their nominees.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Arewa

Operation Lafiya Dole: I Will Take The Fight To Boko Haram, Says New Commander, Adeniyi

Published

on



Major General Olusegun Adeniyi, the new theatre commander, Operation Lafiya Dole in Borno state, has vowed to turn on the heat on Boko Haram insurgents and take the fight to them in their hideouts.

Adeniyi made the declaration while taking over from the former theatre commander, Major General Benson Akinroluyo in Maimalanri Cantonment in Maiduguri on Saturday.

He said: “I am going to turn on the heat on the Boko Haram insurgents. I am going to take the fight to them until Boko Haram disappears from the Northeast.

“I am proud and happy that I am today taking over from General Akinroluyo, my commander. He has mentored me and we are going to continue from where he stopped and even do more until we finish the task of wiping out insurgents from the theatre and the nation at large.”

He also vowed to fight to the end and close the chapter of Boko Haram Insurgency in Nigeria.

“I want to thank the Chief of Army Staff, Lt General Tukur Buratai for appointing me as Theatre Commander. I assure him and Nigerians that I will not let you down. We will fight everything to see that the works finish on time.”

In his remarks, the immediate past Theatre Commander, Major General Benson Akiroluyo said that he was leaving the theatre calm and better than what he met when assumed duty.

“I came when there is tension in the theatre, a few days after metal attacked and the Metele was always on the media. And thank God I am leaving the theatre today calm and better than when I met it.

“I am happy whenever I am In Borno because I was in Maimalanri as a captain in 1997 and got my promotion to Major and 20 years after, in 2017 I was also decorated with the rank of Major General here in Maiduguri; Maiduguri is my second home. I was also the second longest-serving theatre commander since the commander was created, second to General lucky Irabor.

“I am happy that I am today still alive that I am handing over to my deputy’s. I have gone round the theatre and today thank God He has spared my life and I am leaving the command to my deputy who also knows the terrain and the operation of the theatre. I hope he will continue from where I stopped. It is just like a moving vehicle and today I am leaving to my spare driver, who will keep the vehicle moving until we reached the destination.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Nigerian newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Sunday morning

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. Former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, was on Saturday beaten by suspected members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). The incident happened at an event in Germany.

2. The immediate past Deputy President of the Senate, Sen. Ike Enweremadu confirmed a physical assault on him by some members of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, in Nuremberg, Germany, on Saturday, but said he was fine.

3. The camp of former president, Goodluck Jonathan, on Saturday, accused Buhari administration of trying to make a case against former President, Goodluck Jonathan by claiming that he is responsible for the $9 billion judgment against Nigeria in the United Kingdom in a case brought against the nation by Messrs P & ID.

4. The Department of State Services (DSS) and the London Metropolitan Police Service, yesterday, received petitions to investigate the documents of President Muhammadu Buhari at the presidential election tribunal.

5. Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State, on Saturday, closed his case in the suit instituted by Emmanuel Jime and the All Progressives Congress challenging his re-election.

6. President Muhammadu Buhari, on Saturday, charged the military to be more spontaneous in restoring peace to the country, particularly states troubled by bandits, ordering them “not to spare bandits’’ that have been killing, maiming and extorting innocent citizens.

7. Former president, Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said he had been promoting peace and supporting efforts towards consolidating democracy in Africa since he left office as Nigeria’s leader.

8. Femi Falana (SAN), the lawyer to Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenat, has called the Federal Government to provide an alternative and adequate treatment for the couple in Nigeria.

9. A bloody clash was averted on Saturday by the police following failed attempts by a former militant leader and Niger Delta activist, Asari Dokubo, to hold an expanded inaugural meeting in support of Biafra.

10. The Nigerian Government on Saturday condemned the attack on the former deputy senate president, Senator Ike Ekweremadu by members of the IPOB.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Buhari issues fresh order to military over banditry

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari Saturday in Katsina, Katsina State, charged the military to be more spontaneous in restoring peace to the country, particularly states troubled by bandits, ordering them “not to spare bandits’’ that have been killing, maiming and extorting innocent citizens.

Addressing 15 officers and 160 soldiers of the 17th Army Brigade and Nigerian Air Force 213 Operational Base in Katsina, under the “Operation Hadarin Daji’’, at the Umaru Musa Yar’Adua Airport, President Buhari, said:

“This group was formed by the military to secure the geo-political zone from the activities of bandits. Fundamentally, it is your responsibility to secure the country.

“As the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, I believe you are capable of doing it. I don’t think you should spare any bandit. Identify and eliminate them. Pursue them anywhere you can find them and eliminate them,’’ he said.

“Nigeria deserves peace. The rainy season is good and we are already achieving food security, but we need peace. The money saved from food importation will be used to purchase arms for operations,’’ he said.

The President, flanked by Governor Aminu Bello Masari, assured the troops that the Federal Government will provide all the necessary support for restoration of peace in the country.

“We will give you all the right equipment so that you can deal with them with despatch. I appreciate all your efforts but you can do more. I don’t want any bandit spared,’’ he added.

President Buhari said the government and all officials were being sustained in office by the ordinary people, and they owe the people a duty to protect their lives and property.

“Please give my regards to your families. The earlier you finish with the bandits, the earlier you will return and stay with your families,’’ he said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: