Connect with us

Crime

OBJ speaks on killing of Afenifere leader’s daughter

Published

on

Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, has described the killing of the daughter of Afenifere leader, Pa Reuben Fasoranti, late Mrs Funke Olakunri, reportedly by suspected herdsmen as a worrisome development for Nigeria.

Obasanjo on Saturday said that Nigeria has been diminished by the murder which happened at a time when all well-meaning Nigerians were preaching tolerance and political accommodation in national poltics.

He said this in a condolence letter to Pa Fasoranti, by his Special Assistant on Media, Kehinde Akinyemi, on Saturday in Abeokuta.

Obasanjo tasked security agents to fish out the perpetrators of the heinous crime in the interest of justice.

The message reads, “This is a worrisome development in our polity, especially, at a time when all well-meaning Nigerians are preaching tolerance and political accommodation in national politics.

“I must say, Nigeria, as a whole, is diminished by the manner of Funke’s death. We deplore this dastardly act and seize this opportunity to call on governments at all levels to leave no stone unturned in ensuring that our security agents vigorously pursue and find the perpetrators of such heinous crime and make them face the full weight of the law.

“We must, together, find solution to all acts of insecurity in the country, particularly acts of banditry, kidnapping, robbery and killing by the suspected Fulani herdsmen

“As you mourn the tragic loss of our very dear Funke, please be assured of the sympathy and profound sorrow of many others like me who are saddened by the manner of her demise, especially as she still had a lot to contribute to the nation and her family to which she was highly devoted.

“Let me also implore you to be strong for the entire family. I pray that God Himself will comfort you and sustain the whole family in this hour of painful trial. And may the soul of the dear departed rest in perfect peace.

“Because, I have to be in Morocco, I am sending a delegation of Otunba Oluwole Fasawe and Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola with this letter and to personally deliver my condolence.”

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police nab four suspected kidnappers in Lagos community

Published

on

There was tension in Ilasamaja, Isolo Local Council Development Area (LCDA) of Lagos State on Saturday when residents of the community arrested four suspected kidnappers who have been terrorising the area for a few months now, and handed them to Ilasamaja police command.

The four suspected kidnappers who confessed to the crime after questioning from men of the Nigeria Police Force, Ilasamaja command, revealed they were up to fifty in number since they started the crime business in the area.

The kidnappers who confessed to the crime after series of investigations and torture disclosed to the community police station that other members of the gang had run away.

One of the residents, Michael Ogunmoye who spoke to DAILY POST asserted that the suspects had carried out their nefarious activities in the community for a month before they were caught on Saturday.

He said: “The kidnappers who deceive 3-5 (1 female, 4male) years old children with money, soft drinks, before they were charmed were napped by angry boys in the community who had been accused on several occasions of doing the job.”

He explained that the four suspects were almost beaten to death by the boys before they were handed over to the police.

Meanwhile, the DPO, Ilasha Police Station, CSP Ochogwu A.Ogbeh said the police would ensure the remaining 46 of the kidnapping gang members are arrested.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Operation Lafiya Dole: I Will Take The Fight To Boko Haram, Says New Commander, Adeniyi

Published

on



Major General Olusegun Adeniyi, the new theatre commander, Operation Lafiya Dole in Borno state, has vowed to turn on the heat on Boko Haram insurgents and take the fight to them in their hideouts.

Adeniyi made the declaration while taking over from the former theatre commander, Major General Benson Akinroluyo in Maimalanri Cantonment in Maiduguri on Saturday.

He said: “I am going to turn on the heat on the Boko Haram insurgents. I am going to take the fight to them until Boko Haram disappears from the Northeast.

“I am proud and happy that I am today taking over from General Akinroluyo, my commander. He has mentored me and we are going to continue from where he stopped and even do more until we finish the task of wiping out insurgents from the theatre and the nation at large.”

He also vowed to fight to the end and close the chapter of Boko Haram Insurgency in Nigeria.

“I want to thank the Chief of Army Staff, Lt General Tukur Buratai for appointing me as Theatre Commander. I assure him and Nigerians that I will not let you down. We will fight everything to see that the works finish on time.”

In his remarks, the immediate past Theatre Commander, Major General Benson Akiroluyo said that he was leaving the theatre calm and better than what he met when assumed duty.

“I came when there is tension in the theatre, a few days after metal attacked and the Metele was always on the media. And thank God I am leaving the theatre today calm and better than when I met it.

“I am happy whenever I am In Borno because I was in Maimalanri as a captain in 1997 and got my promotion to Major and 20 years after, in 2017 I was also decorated with the rank of Major General here in Maiduguri; Maiduguri is my second home. I was also the second longest-serving theatre commander since the commander was created, second to General lucky Irabor.

“I am happy that I am today still alive that I am handing over to my deputy’s. I have gone round the theatre and today thank God He has spared my life and I am leaving the command to my deputy who also knows the terrain and the operation of the theatre. I hope he will continue from where I stopped. It is just like a moving vehicle and today I am leaving to my spare driver, who will keep the vehicle moving until we reached the destination.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Buhari

Jonathan camp speaks on $9bn judgment against Nigeria, makes revelations against Buhari, cabal

Published

on

The camp of former president, Goodluck Jonathan has accused Buhari administration of trying to make a case against former President Goodluck Jonathan by claiming that he is responsible for the $9 billion judgment against Nigeria in the United Kingdom in a case brought against the nation by Messrs P & ID.

Former presidential aide, Reno Omokri, in a statement on Saturday, said the attempt to rewrite history will backfire.

Omokri said part of the filings regarding the case read: “P&ID submits that it entered a gas supply and processing agreement with Nigeria’s Ministry of Petroleum Resources in January 2010. Pursuant to the agreement, P&ID claims that it would build the necessary facilities and then refine natural gas into non associated natural gas for a period of 20 years.”

According to him: “Now, Nigerians should stop there and ponder. This transaction occurred in January of 2010. Former President Jonathan was not President in January 2010. During that time, he was completely shut out of power by an unelected cabal that ran Nigeria during the period of the ill health of the late President Yar’adua, before the National Assembly courageously intervened on February 9, 2010.

“That cabal not only fought against the ascension of then Vice President Jonathan to the office of acting President, but went beyond that to take documents, including budgets and contracts, to Saudi Arabia, and claimed that the then ailing President Umaru Musa Yar’adua had signed them.

“Nigerians may recall that the cabal announced on December 28, 2009 that the ailing President Yar’adua had signed a supplementary budget and other documents from his sick bed in Saudi Arabia, without the foreknowledge or acquiescence of then Vice President Jonathan or the Executive Council of the Federation.

“In fact, a week later, the Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP) came out with an exposé alleging that the signatures on the documents were forged and Femi Falana (SAN) took up the case in court.

“The man who packaged and arranged the signing of the contract with P & ID was a member of the cabal and Yar’adua’s minister for petroleum, the late Rilwanu Lukman.

“Mr. Lukman and other members of the cabal treated then Vice President Jonathan with disdain and kept him in the dark about their actions because he had no executive authority, as the then President was unable to hand over to him as constitutionally stipulated due to the suddenness of his ill health.

“That same cabal has resurrected and has now coalesced around President Muhammadu Buhari, with some of them being made either ministers, or formal and informal advisers. As a matter of fact, the main man behind that cabal is now one of the closest persons to General Buhari.

“Nigerians may want to note that while this controversial contract was signed in January of 2010, former President Jonathan only became acting President on February 9, 2010.

“So, if the Buhari administration is looking for someone to blame for this judgment against Nigeria, it should look at its own cabal.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: