Connect with us

Arewa

How TY Danjuma foresaw soldiers’ killing of policemen – Middle Belt Forum

Published

on

The Middle Belt Forum, MBF, has stated that the killing of three policemen and a civilian by soldiers has vindicated former Minister of Defence, General Theophilus Danjuma (retd).

MBF said Danujma had long raised alarm that the military had been compromised in Taraba State.

Soldiers had killed police operatives who arrested one Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume indicted in a series of high-profile kidnap incidents in the State.

The incident occured along Ibi–Wukari road in Taraba and the suspected kidnapper is still nowhere to be found.

President of MBF, Dr. Bitrus Porgu, in a statement on Thursday, said although Danjuma was then attacked over his position, events in recent time have confirmed his fears.

The statement read: “While we are at a loss as to why these recruited groups have continued to smear the name of General Danjuma, we are also not unaware of the fact that ever since the former Defence Minister called on Nigerians to resist the invasion of the Middle Belt and Southern communities from terrorist herdsmen that are in collusion with the military.

“It became obvious that General Danjuma had stirred the hornet’s nest when he told the world that the military was colluding with rampaging herdsmen to unleash terror on Nigerian communities.

“The recent killing of police operatives on a covert assignment to Taraba State, who arrested and handcuffed a notorious multi-millionaire kidnapper, Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume, has justified Danjuma’s allegations that the military is, indeed, colluding with terrorist elements to invade communities.”

The forum further condemned those accusing Danjuma of culpability in the Tiv/Jukun crisis.

“Another accusation against Gen Danjuma and Governor Ishaku is that in the face of the present conflict, the duo have continued to maintain a conspiracy of silence. Again, how laughable this is?

“Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue and Governor Ishaku, with their deputies, have at different times convened peace-building meetings to reconcile the two warring communities, with bright prospects on the horizon for restoration of normalcy”, it added.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Arewa

Boko Haram/ISWAP: Nigerian Army launches another operation

Published

on

The Nigerian Army Theatre Command of Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD) has launched “Operation Positive Identification” against the fleeing Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists in the North East.

The Deputy Director, Army Public Relation, OPLD, Col. Ado Isa, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday.

He urged the public to always carry a valid means of identification when moving or passing through Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states.

Isa said the operation was aimed at searching for and arresting all suspected terrorists that currently roam some parts of the North East.

This, according to him, has become necessary following credible information that some of the fleeing criminals are hibernating in some towns and villages of Borno and Yobe States in particular and North East in general.

Army spokesperson disclosed that the troops had been instructed to strictly check valid means of identification of person before allowing them passage.

He advised people to always carry National Identification Card, Voters Registration Card, Drivers’ License and International Passports, or other valid official identification.

“We therefore once again enjoin all to fully cooperate with troops and security agencies in carrying out this exercise.

“The Theatre Command also wish to state that anyone not positively identified will attract further scrutiny and comprehensive investigation to determine his or her activities with the insurgents or otherwise.

“The general public is please requested to bear with this measure as it is in their best interest and our national security, as well as efforts to end the madness called insurgency as perpetrated by the erstwhile Boko Haram/ISWAP fighters,” he added.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Presidency Rejects UN Assessment Of Insecurity In Nigeria

Published

on



The Nigerian Government has rejected the assessment of the United Nations of the state of insecurity in the country.

The Presidency in a statement by the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, on Friday said that the UN Rapporteur on violence in Nigeria was inadequate and does not reflect the true situation in the country, describing it as disappointing.

It said while the government admitted that violence was a challenge, it was equally addressing the issue at all levels in collaboration with state governments.

However, the Presidency argued that any report that left out intra-group violence as a major factor contributing to the general spate of insecurity was unacceptable to the government.

Shehu said, “In Benue, Taraba, Cross River states and many parts of the country, most of the casualties result from intra-group, inter-group and community violence.

“Many of the displaced persons across the nation are also victims of these conflicts.

“Therefore, we are saddened that the rapporteur did not address intra-ethnic conflicts and cattle rustling as key elements in herders/farmers conflicts.”

The Rapporteur, Agnes Callamard, in one report this month, said “Nigeria is a pressure cooker of conflicts”, warning that it posed serious danger to the rest of West Africa.

Aside from widespread killings by Boko Haram, she touched on raging banditry, killings by herdsmen over right of access to farmlands, kidnapping and alleged increasing human rights abuses by Nigerian security forces.

Callamard said, “The lack of accountability is on such a scale that pretending this is nothing short of a crisis will be a major mistake.

“If ignored, its ripple effect will spread in the sub-region given the country’s important role on the continent.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Ribadu Tackles Governor Fintiri Over Appointment Of Council Chairmen

Published

on



Former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Nuhu Ribadu, has condemned the conversion of Peoples Democratic Party chairmen in local governments as heads of the 21 local council areas in Adamawa State by Governor Ahmadu Fintiri.

Fintiri had in July appointed transition committees for the 21 local government areas of the state.

The five-member committee made up of PDP faithful have since been inaugurated and currently in charge of their respective local government councils.

Speaking at a reconciliation meeting of the All Progressives Congress in the state, Ribadu accused Fintiri of doing illegal things.

He said, “In the first place, it is against the law to even appoint chairmen of local government councils.

“There is a standing court order that prohibits appointment of council chairmen; it has to be an elected person who will occupy the position of a local government chairman.

“In Adamawa State they did the illegality; they decided to convert party chairmen to local council chairmen. It is an illegal thing to do.”

Speaking further, Ribadu said all warring factions of the party in the state had closed ranks.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: