Two persons died in a pit toilet at Sabon Gari Market in Fagge Local Government Area of Kano State on Saturday while opening up the chamber for easy use.
The spokesman of Kano State Fire Service, Alhaji Saminu Abdullahi, stated in Kano on Sunday that the accident happened on Saturday night.
He stated that the first victim, a 27-year-old, was working inside the soakaway when he got trapped and in an attempt to rescue him, his colleague, who was 17 years old went into the big, wide hole and was also trapped.
“We received an emergency call about the accident and immediately sent our rescue team to the scene,’’ he stated.
He added that the fire service brought the duo out unconscious and took them to Murtala Muhammad Special Hospital where they were confirmed dead by doctors on duty.
Abdullahi stated that the corpses were handed over to the police at the Sabon Gari Police Division.
He attributed the deaths to high temperature and lack of oxygen inside the toilet pit.