1. Protesting Shiites members agitating against the continuous incarceration of their leader, Sheik Al-Zacky Zacky, on Tuesday clashed with the Nigeria military, resulting in the death of one person, DAILY POST reports.
The protesters, who were in large numbers were heading towards the National Assembly at about 1.15pm but were intercepted by the military personnel already waiting at the gate.
2. The Inspector General of Police (I-G), Mr Mohammed Adamu, on Tuesday ordered 24 hours surveillance on the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and its environs to forestall break down of law and order.
A statement by DCP Frank Mba, the Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO) in Abuja said the I-G gave the order following a violent protest by members of the El-Zakzakky Group in Abuja.
3. The National Democratic Forum has in strong terms condemned the invasion of the National Assembly by members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, otherwise known as Shiites, on Tuesday.
NDF, through its Secretary General Dr Abdulakdir Bolaji, called on the authorities to immediately expel all known IMN members from Abuja.
4. The Nigerian Senate on Tuesday urged the Federal Government to ban the production, importation or circulation of snipers insecticide, a product currently being used to commit suicide.
This followed a motion sponsored by Sen. Theodore Orji (PDP-Abia) and 15 others on the rising incidence of suicides among Nigerians.
5. President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the accelerated promotion of two senior officers and a subaltern of the Nigerian Army. – Major General LO Adeosun, the Chief of Training and Operations at Army Headquarters who has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General and Brigadier General AB Biu, General Officer Commanding 7 Division and Commander Sector 2 Operation LAFIYA DOLE Maiduguri, promoted to the rank of Major General..
Army spokesman, Sagir Musa, on Tuesday, said the officers were granted promotion for their extra-ordinary feats, courage, examplary leadership, loyalty, uncommon commitment and valour in the counter insurgency operation in the North-eastern part of the country.
6.. The Oyo State House of Assembly on Tuesday approved the dissolution of the Local Government (LG) chairmen and chairmen of the Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) in the state.
The approval of the dissolution of the council chairmen was sequel to a motion matter of urgent public importance brought to the floor of the house by its Majority leader, Hon. Sanjo Adedoyin.
7. House of Representatives Speaker, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila on Tuesday tongue-lashed a lawmaker from Benue state, Hon. Mark Terser Gbilah representing Gwer-East/Wager-West federal constituency over unsavory comments made in the media against him and others.
The verbal chastisement by the Speaker came on the heels of motion on a matter of privileges brought by Hon. Pat Asadu, who prayed the House to investigate an alleged breach of his privilege and those of his colleagues from Enugu and Ebonyi state by the Benue-born legislator.
8. The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Tuesday released time-table and schedule of activities for the conduct of the 2019 governorship primary elections in Kogi and Bayelsa States.
The party said the “Sale of Forms (APC National Secretariat)- Wednesday 10th July – Tuesday 20th August, 2019, while Last Day for Submission of Completed Forms (APC National Secretariat) – Wednesday 21st August, 2019.
9. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar on Tuesday continued their defence of petition against President Muhammadu Buhari’s re-election with sets of witnesses singing discordant tunes.
Dr Livy Uzoukwu, SAN, Counsel for the petitioners commenced the activity of the day with the presentation of Alhaji Tanko Bichi, a Local Government Collation Agent for PDP in Katsina State for his testimonies.
10. The Super Eagles of Nigeria would today take on the Bafana Bafana of South Africa for a place in the semi-finals stage of the AFCON 2019.
Former Eagles star, Tijani Babangida has tipped the Gernot Rohr’s to glory against the Madiba countrymen.
Kaduna: An kubutar da babban dan sanda daga hannun masu satar mutane
‘Yan sanda a jihar Kaduna, Najeriya, sun ce an yi nasarar kubutar da babban jami’in dan sandan nan da aka sace, ACP I. Musa, mai lakabin Rambo, a kan hanyar Kaduna zuwa Jos a karshen mako.
Mai magana da yawun rundunar DSP Yakubu Sabo ya ce an kubutar da babban dan sandan ne tare da direbansa ba tare da ko rauni ba.
Sai dai a tattaunawar da ya yi da BBC kakakin ya ki bayyana yadda aka yi nasarar kubutar da mutanen biyu, illa dai ya ce sai a nan gaba ne za su yi wannan bayani.
Game da cewa ko an yi wani dauki-ba-dadi da wadanda suka sace jami’an ‘yan sandan biyu,
ganin yadda a cikin dan lokaci da sace su har aka yi nasarar ceto su,
musamman ma a yadda ake ganin masu satar jama’a na da makamai, sai ya danganta hakan da irin kokarin jami’an tsaro.
DSP Sabo ya ce ba a wannan lokacin ba ne kadai aka taba yin irin wannan nasara ta saurin ceto wasu da aka sace cikin gaggawa ba.
Ya ce abu ne da ya dogara da yanayin aiki, wani lokacin a samu nasara da wuri wani lokacin kuma yakan dauki lokaci.
Game da yadda ake ganin ‘yan bindiga na yawan satar mutane da kai hare-hare a jihar ta Kaduna,
a matsayin wata alama ta tabarbarewar tsaro a jihar, mai magana da yawun ‘yan sandan ya ce abin ba haka yake ba, domin ba kasar da ba a aikata laifuka.
Ya ce sai dai kawai idan abu ya yi yawa yana tayar da hankalin mutane, wanda kuma rundunar ta yin duk abin da ya kamata domin maganin matsalar.
Ya kara da cewa sakamakon irin matakan da suke dauka a yanzu ba a yawan satar mutane a titin Kaduna zuwa Abuja, da sauran hare-hare da ake kai wa jama’a a jihar.
Ya ce yawanci ma a yanzu masu aikata irin wadannan laifuka sun koma wasu jihohi da ke makwabtaka da Kaduna ne, inda ya bayar da misalin iyakar jihar da Nasarawa ya ce a yanzu wasu a irin wadancan yankuna da ke da iyaka da Kaduna ake laifukan.
Sai dai ya ce akwai bukatar sauran jihohi masu makwabtaka da Kaduna su hada hannu domin maganin matsalar.
Terrorists kill four soldiers in Borno
At least four Nigerian soldiers and a militia fighter were killed in clashes with IS-aligned jihadists in Borno State, security sources told AFP on Sunday.
Fighting erupted late on Saturday when troops ambushed a convoy of the Islamic State West Africa Province near Jakana Village, 42 kilometres from the state capital, Maiduguri.
Several troops were also injured and four trucks were lost to the militants, a soldier said.
The jihadists were riding in pick-up trucks fitted with machine guns according to a source, who confirmed the death toll.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the Nigerian military said seven jihadists were killed and eight injured when their vehicle hit a landmine during a clash near Jakana on Friday.
The improvised explosive device had been planted by the jihadists, army spokesman Colonel Aminu Iliyasu was quoted as saying.
The decade-long conflict, which spilt into Nigerian neighbours — Niger, Chad and Cameroon — has killed at least 35,000 people and forced some two million to flee their homes in Nigeria alone.
President Buhari departs Abuja Monday
A statement by the President’s spokesman, Garba Shehu, in Abuja on Sunday, said the summit would focus on exploring and expanding opportunities in security, trade and investment, science and technology, and gas production.
During the summit, President Buhari will meet with President Vladimir Putin of Russia to further strengthen relations between Nigeria and Russia.
Shehu stated that the two leaders would hold bilateral talks on security, trade and investment, and building partnership that would enhance Nigeria’s huge gas potential, following Russia’s remarkable success in gas exportation.
“The summit, which will be attended by African Heads of State, will bring fresh perspectives on some global issues and challenges like nuclear technology, energy development, digital transformation, environment, technical security, mining and steel, education, agriculture, infrastructure and development strategies.
“An African Business Forum, which will bring together African and Russian business leaders, will be held during the event to enhance Russian investments in Africa, and promote African business interest in the host country,’’ he added.
Shehu added that Buhari would be accompanied by Governors Muhammad Yahaya of Gombe state, Bello Matawalle of Zamfara and Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State.
Others on the trip are: Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, Minister of Trade and Investment, Adeniyi Adebayo, Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Olamilekan Adegbite and Minister of State, Petroleum, Timipre Sylva.
Entertainment3 days ago
An karrama Ali Nuhu a Indiya | Arewa News
Law2 days ago
Court stops ongoing NNPC recruitment
Arewa2 days ago
Amaechi ya duba sabbin jiragen kasa da za a kawo Najeriya daga China – AREWA News
News2 days ago
BREAKING: Seven dead in Edo Governor’s convoy crash
Arewa14 hours ago
Terrorists kill four soldiers in Borno
Crime2 days ago
Street fight lands brothers in prison
Arewa20 hours ago
Boko Haram: 7 killed, 8 crippled by IED in Borno as army arrests 24 in separate raids
News3 days ago
Super Eagles striker named Ligue 1 Player of the Month