Connect with us

Arewa

Gov Bagudu reacts as bandits invade Kebbi community

Published

on

Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State has urged residents to be security-conscious and vigilant.

This is coming after a foiled attack by bandits in Illo town area of Bagudu Local Government Area of Kebbi State on Monday.

DAILY POST had reported that bandits, riding in five motorcycles on Monday night (May 13) invaded Illo town in Bagudo LGA of the state.

The bandits, who were armed with machine guns, shot sporadically into the air forcing residents and the local vigilante to scamper for safety.

There were however no injuries or live lost during the shootings.

But speaking at a meeting with 21 local government council chairmen in Birnin Kebbi on Wednesday, Bagudu said that his administration was fully committed to the protection of lives and property of residents of the state.

“The recent attempt by some miscreants to create disharmony in Illo was immediately curtailed and those involved will be apprehended,” he said.

Bagudu advised the people to be security conscious and vigilant always.

“Farmers should not be deterred by the incident and should continue to till their farms in order to produce more food without fear of molestation,” NAN quoted him as saying.

The governor praised the council chairmen for maintaining peace and tranquillity in their areas, and urged them to “ensure that people observe their day to day life in an atmosphere of peace and harmony.”

In his remarks, Alh. Muhammad Kardi, Chairman, Birnin Kebbi Local Government Area (LGA), said that the 21 council chairmen had been doing their best toward eliminating security threats in their areas.

“We have been committed to ensuring that this administration succeeds and delivers on its mandate,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Arewa

Boko Haram: Army opens up on attack in Jakana, says personnel died in gun battle

Published

on

Troops of 212 Battalion deployed at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Jakana, on Wednesday July 7, 2019 dealt with and neutralised unconfirmed number of Boko Haram/ISWAP Terrorists when they woefully attempted to infiltrate their base in dire need for logistics.

A statement from Col Ado Isa, Deputy Director Public Relations Operation LAFIYA DOLE on Friday said, the terrorists came at about 1845 hours in 7 Gun Trucks and fought fiercely to infiltrate the camp, but the attack was thwarted with heavy fire and bombardment by the gallant and patriotic troops who were vigilant and battle ready.

“The terrorists couldn’t bear the fire power any longer after loosing significant number of both equipment and personnel in an exchange of fire. They lost initiative and withdrew in disarray along the Benisheikh – Damaturu axis, – abandoning a damaged utility Gun truck which was earmarked to convey looted items.

“Troops immediately followed in hot pursuit and the following items were captured: 1 x Anti Aircraft Gun, 2 x Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) Tubes, 2 x AK 47 Rifles, 15 x Machine Gun rounds, 12 x AK 47 NATO rounds.

“Sadly, a Colonel and a Captain as well as 3 soldiers on transit from Maiduguri to Damaturu run into an ambush staged by the routed/fleeing terrorists from the Jakana axis which led to their unfortunate death.

“The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai while commiserating with the families of the fallen heroes reiterated that Personnel of the Nigerian Army will never be deterred in the ongoing noble and patriotic fight against terrorism and insurgency in the North East

“He further commended the efforts of the entire troops in the theatre and charged them to remain focus, highly committed and professional in the discharge of their constitutional roles.

“He said the sacrifices of the fallen heroes in the ongoing fight against terrorism and insurgency is no doubt painful to all, but that will further spur us to do more to ensure that our country remain secured, peaceful and free from terrorists activities for the overall interest of the nation,” the statement added

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Ashiru vs El-Rufai: PDP losses in court over Kaduna guber

Published

on

The 2019 Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, governorship candidate in Kaduna State, Isa Ashiru lost his bid to get the Appeal Court in state to order a recount of votes of the last election in the state.

The appellate court on Thursday dismissed Ashiru and PDP’s appeal against the refusal of the State Governorship Petition Tribunal to order a recount of votes.

The tribunal had struck out Ashiru’s petition seeking for a recount of votes cast during the last election in the state for lack of merit.

Ruling on the motion on May 29, Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Ibrahim Bako had held that the tribunal has a time frame of only 180 days to complete its assignment.

Justice Bako also refused the application for amendment of the motion, seeking to narrow the votes recount to only 12 local government areas of Kaduna state.

Dissatisfied with the ruling, PDP and Ashiru appealed the ruling at the Court of Appeal.

However, Justice Hussaini Muktar, in his judgment affirmed the orders of the tribunal and consequently refused to order for a recount of votes.

Justice Muktar held that counting of votes and making it an exhibit in court was part of a trial, which is capable of disposing off the main claim in the matter.

He stated that the Supreme Court frowned at that which allows a matter to be disposed off at a pre-trial conference.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Boko Haram Kills Aid Worker In Borno, Three Others Missing

Published

on



Boko Haram militants have killed a member of the Action Against Hunger, Grace Taku, as well as a driver while three health workers are missing.

The incident happened when a convoy of the aid agency was heading to Damasak in Borno State.

The attack is coming a day after an army commander, colonel and some soldiers were ambushed in Yobe State by Boko Haram terrorists.

A statement by Action Against Hunger reads, “One of the drivers was killed, while one Action Against Hunger staff member, two of the drivers and three health workers are missing.

“We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident as these are colleagues dedicated to providing life-saving assistance to individuals and families affected by the ongoing humanitarian crisis in the northeast of Nigeria. We are very concerned and want to ensure that they are safe and can be reunited with their families.

“Action Against Hunger strives to ensure that millions of people in need of humanitarian assistance in northeast Nigeria receive the essential services required for their survival, especially women and children.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: