The people reacted in separate interviews with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Damaturu on Tuesday, as the leadership of the 9th National Assembly was inaugurated in Abuja.
Senator-elect, Ahmad Lawan (APC-Yobe), won the Senate presidential election held at the Senate Chamber on Tuesday.
The Clerk of the National Assembly, Mr Mohammed Sani-Omolori, made the announcement in Abuja.
Lawan and Senator-elect, Ali Ndume (APC-Borno), contested for the highest position.
While Lawan polled 79 votes, Ndume got only 28 votes.
Sani-Omolori declared that having scored the highest votes, Lawan had been duly elected as Nigeria’s Senate President of the 9th National Assembly.
Alhaji Muhammad Gagiyo, the Zanna Dujima of Bade, described the election of Lawan as a new dawn for patriotism and national development.
He said, “Nigeria now has a committed Senate president with a passion to serve the country and improve peoples’ lives.
“The new Senate president over the years exhibited commitment with quality representation of his constituency. We are
optimistic that he will provide the required leadership to the Senate to see national service over and above selfish interests.”
The community leader appealed to the legislators to support and cooperate with the new leadership to achieve the set goals of
improving the lives of Nigerians.
Alhaji Ibrahim Usman, a member of APC in Yobe, said the new leadership would provide the support to move Nigeria forward.
He added that “Sen. Ahmed Lawan has the required leadership skills for a friendly and productive Senate.”
Alhaji Mamman Suleiman, the Majidadin Bade, another community leader, described the election of Sen. Lawan as well-timed one to support the policy and programmes of President Muhammadu Buhari -led administration.
Suleiman assured that the competence and commitment of the new Senate President “will translate into improving the lives of Nigerians.
Abubakar Musa, a student of Political Science, Yobe State University, said the emergence of both the Senate president and deputy president from the ruling APC was a good omen for the ruling government.
He said “the party has produced both the president and deputy president, unlike what was obtained in the last leadership.
“The lawmakers should, therefore, settle down and work assiduously for government to actualise its programmes and improve the lives of citizens.”
Middle-belt forum backs TY Danjuma-led group, accuses Buhari govt of supporting Fulani herdsmen takeover Southern Nigeria
The forum said the killings are a deliberate plan by the Muhammadu Buhari-led administration to hand over their lands to marauding Fulani herdsmen, saying, “This plan to subjugate and conquer our people and Southern Nigeria will be vehemently resisted.”
DAILY POST recalls that the NCEF, under the leadership of former Defence Minister, Lt. Gen. T.Y Danjuma (retd); ex-Military Governor of Rivers State, General Zamani Lekwot (retd); and Chief Solomon Asemota, SAN, had dragged Buhari to the United Kingdom, UK, Parliament, over alleged move to Islamise Nigeria.
Alleging that the Nigerian leader was pursuing a jihad or Islamisation agenda, they told the UK parliament that Buhari was not serious about tackling insecurity arising from Boko Haram insurgency and herdsmen-farmers crises in the country.
In a latest development, the MBF National President, Dr Bitrus Pogu, in a statement, said, “The Forum wishes to align itself completely with the position of the NCEF over the ceaseless bloodshed that is deliberately founded on the orchestrated plans by the Muhammadu Buhari-led administration to annihilate and disposses the peoples of the Middle Belt and Southern Nigerians of their ancestral lands and hand over same to marauding Fulani herdsmen terrorists. This plan to subjugate and conquer our people and Southern Nigeria will be vehemently resisted.”
The forum said its attention has been drawn to a statement credited to what it called an amorphous group that calls itself the Middle Belt Conscience Guard (MBCG), adding that in its publication, the said group did not hide its desperate intention to rubbish the former Minister of Defence, General Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma (rtd), former military governor of old Rivers state, Gen. Zamani Lekwot (rtd), among other notable members of the Nigerian Christian Elders’ Forum (NCEF) over their written submission to the United Kingdom Parliament on the ongoing killings across communities of the Middle Belt and other parts of Nigeria.
MBF said Middle Belt Conscience Guard in its press statement that was purportedly signed by its president, bearing the name, Prince Raymond Enejo, chided the NCEF for its publication in which it accused the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration of brazenly pursuing an agenda of ‘Islamisation and Fulanisation’ in the country.
MBF added that in its submission, the so-called group led by Enejo claimed that the NCEF’s statement amounted to a deliberate act of provocation against the country, aimed at encouraging Christians and Middle Belters to rise against the present government.
MBF maintained, “Ordinarily, our Forum would not have bothered to respond to a publication that is baseless and outrightly mischievous. We are, however, constrained to observe that as an umbrella body for all groups in the Middle Belt Region, we are totally unaware of the existence of this Middle Belt Conscience Guard. Our Forum, being a multi-ethnic, multi-religious, multi-cultural and non-partisan organisation, is obliged to respond and clarified on issues raised by the conscience group that is out to mislead members of the public.
“Though we believe that the NCEF is capable of responding to all accusations raised againt it by the group, we need not be its mouth piece. However, for the mere fact that two illustrious sons of the Middle Belt Region, who are also members of the NCEF were deliberately and mischieviously targeted for attack, this response has become unavoidably necessary.
“The Forum considers the position of the so-called conscience group as a deliberate falsehood that is aimed at misleading the unsuspecting public through foisting diversionary plot to draw the attention of the public away from the heinous genocide being perpetrated by Fulani herdsmen terrorists across the Middle Belt and other parts of the country in pursuit of the ‘Fulanisation’ agenda as earlier raised in the NCEF’s submission and observed also by other notable persons and groups.”
MBF stated that considering the inordinate reaction of the group to the position of the NCEF, it is either the conscience group is non-existent or may be just a mercenary group hired by its paymasters who are the real sponsors of the heinous pogrom in our communities and ‘Fulanisation’ agenda in the country.
“As categorically declared by the NCEF, current attempts at implementing the ‘Fulanisation’ agenda enjoys the active support of the Buhari-led government. There are many proofs to back up the NCEF’s assertion that there is a collusion between herdsmen and the Federal Government in advancing this campaign. In the past four years of the Buhari administration, tens of thousands of Nigerians have been decimated, with several thousands killed on account of Fulani herdsmen terrorist invasion of peaceful communitues across the country. Despite the troubling death toll, none of the culprits has been arrested or brought to book.
“While attention of the present government is being focused on combating the dread of Boko Haram in the North-east zone, the present administration has been demonstrating fudging attempts at battling rampaging Fulani terrorists whose bloodthirsty disposition has brought devastation and anguish on our people.
“For avoidance of doubt, we wish to inform Nigerians and the international community that the Middle Belt peoples are now victims of a conspiracy to subjugate them and disinherit them of their ancestral lands. We are calling on men and women of good conscience to spare no efforts in exposing the ongoing heinous crimes against humanity in a bid to unveil the dark spot of human conscience surrounding the massacres of Nigerians and destruction of communities in the Middle Belt Region and other parts of the country.
“The Forum has confidence that history and God is on the side of the just. We remain steadfastly confident that someday, we shall witness an end to these tragedies that have befallen the Middle Belt Region and our nation,” the Middle Belt Forum observed.
Atiku reacts to re-election of CAN president, Ayokule
DAILY POST had reported that Ayokunle got 59 votes to defeat the runner up, Rev. Caleb Solomon-Ahima, President, Fellowship of Christian Churches in Nigeria, TEKAN, who got 44 votes.
Ahima, according to the CAN constitution, becomes the Vice President of the organisation.
Ayokunle was born on Jan. 25, 1957 and hails from Isheke, Oyo State.
Reacting, Atiku on Twitter wrote, ”Congratulations, Rev. (Dr.) Samson Ayokunle on your re-election as President, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN).
“I pray for God’s wisdom & divine direction to you in the running of the affairs of CAN and the interface of the association with the rest of the Nigerian society.”
Kwara PDP kicks as Gov Abdulrazaq sacks 16 LG chairmen
Abdulrazaq took the decision few hours after the state House of Assembly recommended their sack pending completion of investigation against them.
In a statement signed by the party’s state chairman, Engr Kola Shittu, the party demanded its retraction, describing the move by the legislature as illegal and undemocratic.
He said it was wrong for the House to recommend the suspension of the councils bosses on allegation of financial misappropriation when they hadn’t been properly investigated or invited for questioning.
The PDP chairman said” it should be noted that neither the House nor the governor has the power to suspend the council chairmen who were lawfully elected by their people.
“The council chairmen were lawfully elected in 2017 by the people for a three-year tenure, which will expire in 2020.
“Neither the governor nor the state Assembly has the power to suspend or sack them before the expiration of their administration.
“We wish to remind the lawmakers of a subsisting court order barring the state governor or any of his representatives, including the state House of Assembly from suspending or dissolving elected local government chairmen or interfere in their financial activities until the lawful expiration of their tenure in 2020.
“It is also instructive to note that the Supreme Court had also declared as illegal and unconstitutional the dissolution of local government councils by state governors and state Assemblies,” the statement added.
Arewa2 days ago
Atiku’s running mate, Peter Obi speaks on Buhari’s delay in forming cabinet
Arewa2 days ago
Boko Haram: What Air Force did to insurgents on Monday
Religious2 days ago
Vatican considers letting married men be priests in remote parts of Amazon
Entertainment3 days ago
George Clooney impersonator arrested in Thailand after years on the run
World News3 days ago
Israel renames Golan Heights settlement after Donald Trump
News2 days ago
Ministerial appointment: Tinubu makes demand from Buhari
Hausa2 days ago
Tarihin Mohammed Morsi yana cewa ‘Ni aka zalunta’
Crime3 days ago
Army kills suspected oil bunkering kingpin in Rivers