Connect with us

Education

2019 UTME: What we’re doing about challenges in exam – JAMB

The Coordinator of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Zonal Office in Ibadan, Mr Sola Kuye, has given an assurance that all registered candidates would write the 2019 University Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) in spite of some challenges currently being experienced by them.

Kuye gave this assurance in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ibadan on Friday while assessing the conduct of the examination in Oyo State.

According to him, JAMB is working tirelessly to resolve challenges arising from the conduct of the examination in some centres.

“It’s been so far so good. We thank God that with little issues here and there, we are on top of the game as we are resolving the issues.

“It is going fine today, being the second day of the examination.”Generally, we have been having the challenges of power; generators having issues in at least two centres now.

“However, they have been trying to overcome it using alternative or backup power.

“Where we couldn’t, the candidates were moved to a spare centre, which is a standby centre to write their exam,” Kuye said.

He, however, stated that there was no issue with the internet, but only an intermittent system breakdown.

“But we have technicians who are attending to such issues, so there is no problem.

“I want to encourage the affected candidates and their parents to keep calm, we will see to it that they write the examination.

“There would be no problem at the end of the day,” Kuye said.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Ondo varsity shut as students ground academic activities

The Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba-Akoko, AAUA, Ondo State has been shut.

This development followed the protest that greeted the decision of the school management to bar students from writing the continuous assessment as a result of school fees issue.

It was gathered that the university management had announced the enforcement of ‘No School Fees, No Test/Examination’ with large number of students not allowed to participate in Wednesday’s test.

Infuriated by the management’s decision, the students mobilized in their numbers and disrupted the test.

According to some of the students, they described the action of the school’s management as an effort to make indigent students drop out of going by the exorbitant fees put in place by the management last year.

A student , who gave his name as Williams explained that, “they (management) shut out most students who have not paid or balance their fees from writing this test.

“It is nothing but pure wickedness.

“They’re some of us whose parents don’t have the financial strength of paying the fees at once. It’s just unfair.

Another student, who gave her name as Titi said that “the management ought to outline modalities of making the fee convenient for students.

“Even in some private universities, they’re ways it’s done that it won’t be cumbersome for parents and students.

“Probably, the plan of the state government is to deprive us of university education.

However, the university management has ordered all students to vacate the campus with immediate effect.

The Registrar of the institution, Dr. Sunday Ayeerun in a statement said all students should resume Monday May 20, 2019.

“The Management of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko, Ondo State,has approved a Mid-Semester break for all students of the University.

“All students of the university are, therefore, advised to proceed on the Mid-Semester break with immediate effect.

“Students are to resume to campus on Monday, May 20, 2019,”

The students were billed to commence the first semester 2018/2019 academic session on May 5, 2019.

The Ondo State government had last year increased the school fees in the institution from average N35,000 to N180,000 which generated series of protests that led to the shutting down of the Akure the Ondo State capital for days.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Education

Students shut down Ibarapa Polytechnic over non-mobilisation for NYSC

Academic and non-academic activities were on Wednesday paralysed at the Ibarapa Polytechnic, Eruwa when hundreds of ‘graduates’ of the institution, who are yet to be mobilised for the National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) program two years after their graduation, shut down the main gate leading to the school premises.

DAILY POST reports that Ibarapa Polytechnic Eruwa, which is one of the six tertiary institutions owned by the Oyo state government, was established as a satellite campus of the Polytechnic Ibadan on Tuesday 19 January 1982 and later converted into an autonomous Polytechnic in 2014 during the first tenure of Mr. Abiola Ajimobi, the outgoing governor of the state.

The angry students who are yet to collect their certificates and yet to be mobilised for NYSC program two years after their graduation added that they were left with no option than to shut down the institution.

DAILY POST recalls that the students two weeks ago protested within the campus over the non-mobilisation and non-collection of their certificates two years after their graduation.

The angry students while shutting down the institution on Wednesday, complained that the institution management had failed in their responsibilities to resolve the issue they are having.

They alleged that the management of the institution mismanaged funds meant for the accreditation of the engineering courses in the institution.

Chairman, National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) Oyo State axis, Olujuwon Asubiojo, while speaking on behalf of his colleagues, said that the association was not interested in all the technical excuses given by the management of the institution, adding that what the students want is for the management to resolve the issue without any delay.

“What we are requesting from the school management is to resolve this problem on time, the Oyo State government should be ready to fund the accreditation and the management also should be accountable for all the money they have collected.

“We have not heard anything about this issue since our last protest, all our effort to get in touch to the authority concern was proved abortive, our problems are yet to be attended to and we are here to show our grievances.

Senate President, Federation of Oyo State Student’s Union (FOSSU), Wasiu Oke, who noted that the cry of the aggrieved ex students of the school has gotten to the association, added that FOSSU was ready to take up the struggle and make sure that the matter is resolve on time.

“We want to urge the Oyo State government to do their best to resolve this issue; the management of this institution in conjunction with the NBTE must also make sure that this problem is resolve on time.”

However, Rector of the institution, Mr. Eyitayo Iyiola while reacting maintained that the reason for the delay was due to the shortage of funds from Oyo State government.

Iyiola said that N600 million was proposed by the faculty of engineering for the procurement and upgrading of engineering materials so that the NBTE can inspect and accredit the courses.

Iyiola emphasised that the problem also came from the faculty because the school management were not told that the facilities the engineering department have on ground can not be satisfied by NBTE for the accreditation of the engineering course, noting that NBTE did not say that the school totally failed the accreditation test, but NBTE only said that they needed to upgrade the facilities in the engineering department.

Iyiola said, “The management of the school didn’t have enough fund to buy engineering materials to accredit the engineering courses, and we have been misinformed by the faculty concerning the accreditation.”

“Funding and misinformation was the basic cause of this issue, we have met several times and we keeps on saying the same thing, the issue we are having relies on finance. This problem will be resolve very soon because the National TETFUND has promises us some funds, together with other individual who has showed interest to assist us.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Crime

Two UNIUYO students reportedly killed in cult clash

Two students of the University of Uyo, Uyo have reportedly lost their lives in a cult war, which took place yesterday (Tuesday) and Today (Wednesday), respectively.

The cult war, it was learnt has been rocking the University recently, which has put other students into perpetual fear.

It was gathered that a 300-level student of the department of Communication Arts identified as Fatherwills Ukpankere, was killed on Tuesday at the Town campus during the clash while another was killed at the annex campus on Wednesday morning.

Ukpankere’s dead body was found behind the Barth Ebong Auditorium .

According to a student, who spoke with few journalists on the incident, “fear has gripped the entire campus following recent cult clashes in the campuses.

“Before the last matriculation, there were shoot outs. During the matriculation there were clashes between cult groups. Just yesterday, a student was shot dead during a clash between two cult groups at the Annex campus.

“I heard that two more students were shot dead early hours of today (Wednesday) at the Main Campus, Nwaniba, even though I have not confirmed that yet.”

He said there was tension on the campus as the group who lost its members could launch a reprisal attack

“We are afraid that the cult groups that lost their members may come for reprisal,” he added.

Also,n Engineering student, who did not want his name mentioned, called on the state government to intervene over the development before it gets out of control.

Collaborating the position of the Engineering student, the Director of Information, Students Union Government, Mfon John said, “This is beyond security on campus but were yet to confirm whether the person killed on Tuesday clash was a student of the University of Uyo or not”, he said.

However, the Police Public Relations, Odiko MacDon, confirmed the clash between two rival cult groups in the campuses.

He said the Commissioner of Police, CP Zaki Ahmed, had met with the management of the institution and had deployed officers of the command to bring the situation under control.

“We are aware of the development in UniUyo concerning the cult clash, the Commissioner of Police has met with the management of the University, and already ordered more deployment to contain the situation and ensure adequate security for the university,”he assured.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: