Adamu, represented by the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Operations, Abdulmajid Ali, disclosed this during the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, review of the 2019 general elections with the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES) in Abuja, NAN reports.
The I-G said that 39 out of the 58 suspects had been conclusively investigated and charged to courts while 19 were still being investigated.
“During the last elections, 58 high profile arrests were made; 25 were during the presidential and National Assembly elections, 17 during governorship election and 14 others.
“Out of this 39 were conclusively investigated and charged to courts while 19 are pending,” he said.
Adamu said there is no gainsaying that the experiences of last general elections and the relationship between INEC, the police and other security agencies is quite cordial.
He commended other security agencies, particularly the military for the cooperation given to the Nigeria Police Force and INEC during the elections.
“I want to also assure that the police and other security agencies are ever ready to put in more efforts in ensuring that the forthcoming governorship elections are free, fair, and credible,” Adamu said.
He said that the review came at the right time, particularly when INEC is preparing for Bayelsa and Kogi governorship elections.
Early in his remarks, the INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, said that proven misconduct during the 2019 elections must be dealt with according to the law.
Yakubu said dealing with electoral offenders is one of the surest ways to address impunity and instil sanity in the electoral process.
He said that he was happy to note that the Nigeria Police Force made several arrests of suspected electoral offenders during the general elections.
“While we will continue to do our best working with the security agencies in this regard, I wish to renew the call for the establishment of the Electoral Offences Tribunal,” he said.
Yakubu said that democracy and credible elections would be deepened where electoral offenders are swiftly prosecuted.
“For instance, in the recent general elections in South Africa held in May 2019, some electoral offenders were arrested and swiftly charged to court even before the election was concluded,” he said.
Yakubu said that in preparing for the 2019 general elections there is elaborate plans for the deployment of the security agencies.
“In many instances, this arrangement was seamlessly carried out. In a few cases, however, the processes were disrupted, necessitating the declaration of some elections as inconclusive under the law.
“The Commission then immediately remobilised to conclude the elections.
“From our assessment, insecurity as a result of violent disruption of processes was the major reason why a number of elections had to be declared inconclusive,” he said.
The INEC Chairman, however, expressed concern about the safety of INEC personnel, property and the sanctity of the electoral process in the Nov. 16 governorship elections in Kogi and Bayelsa.
“Given the history of political violence, resulting in the governorship elections being declared inconclusive in the two states in 2015, the Commission is concerned about the safety of our personnel, properties and the sanctity of the electoral process.
“The politicians in Bayelsa and Kogi must shed off the toga of political violence associated with elections in the two states.
“I am glad to note the peace efforts in Bayelsa state through a broad-based Stakeholders’ Summit on Violence-free elections.
” I am also glad that some concerned leaders in Kogi state are considering a similar initiative,” he said.
Yakubu assured the leaders of the two states that the Commission would work with them to ensure peaceful and credible poll.
He also assured all voters in the two states that INEC would protect the integrity of the electoral process and ensure that the will of the people prevails.
“We will also work with the security agencies to ensure professionalism and neutrality in strict compliance with their rules of engagement,” he said
Operation Lafiya Dole: I Will Take The Fight To Boko Haram, Says New Commander, Adeniyi
Major General Olusegun Adeniyi, the new theatre commander, Operation Lafiya Dole in Borno state, has vowed to turn on the heat on Boko Haram insurgents and take the fight to them in their hideouts.
Adeniyi made the declaration while taking over from the former theatre commander, Major General Benson Akinroluyo in Maimalanri Cantonment in Maiduguri on Saturday.
He said: “I am going to turn on the heat on the Boko Haram insurgents. I am going to take the fight to them until Boko Haram disappears from the Northeast.
“I am proud and happy that I am today taking over from General Akinroluyo, my commander. He has mentored me and we are going to continue from where he stopped and even do more until we finish the task of wiping out insurgents from the theatre and the nation at large.”
He also vowed to fight to the end and close the chapter of Boko Haram Insurgency in Nigeria.
“I want to thank the Chief of Army Staff, Lt General Tukur Buratai for appointing me as Theatre Commander. I assure him and Nigerians that I will not let you down. We will fight everything to see that the works finish on time.”
In his remarks, the immediate past Theatre Commander, Major General Benson Akiroluyo said that he was leaving the theatre calm and better than what he met when assumed duty.
“I came when there is tension in the theatre, a few days after metal attacked and the Metele was always on the media. And thank God I am leaving the theatre today calm and better than when I met it.
“I am happy whenever I am In Borno because I was in Maimalanri as a captain in 1997 and got my promotion to Major and 20 years after, in 2017 I was also decorated with the rank of Major General here in Maiduguri; Maiduguri is my second home. I was also the second longest-serving theatre commander since the commander was created, second to General lucky Irabor.
“I am happy that I am today still alive that I am handing over to my deputy’s. I have gone round the theatre and today thank God He has spared my life and I am leaving the command to my deputy who also knows the terrain and the operation of the theatre. I hope he will continue from where I stopped. It is just like a moving vehicle and today I am leaving to my spare driver, who will keep the vehicle moving until we reached the destination.”
Nigerian newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Sunday morning
1. Former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, was on Saturday beaten by suspected members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). The incident happened at an event in Germany.
2. The immediate past Deputy President of the Senate, Sen. Ike Enweremadu confirmed a physical assault on him by some members of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, in Nuremberg, Germany, on Saturday, but said he was fine.
3. The camp of former president, Goodluck Jonathan, on Saturday, accused Buhari administration of trying to make a case against former President, Goodluck Jonathan by claiming that he is responsible for the $9 billion judgment against Nigeria in the United Kingdom in a case brought against the nation by Messrs P & ID.
4. The Department of State Services (DSS) and the London Metropolitan Police Service, yesterday, received petitions to investigate the documents of President Muhammadu Buhari at the presidential election tribunal.
5. Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State, on Saturday, closed his case in the suit instituted by Emmanuel Jime and the All Progressives Congress challenging his re-election.
6. President Muhammadu Buhari, on Saturday, charged the military to be more spontaneous in restoring peace to the country, particularly states troubled by bandits, ordering them “not to spare bandits’’ that have been killing, maiming and extorting innocent citizens.
7. Former president, Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said he had been promoting peace and supporting efforts towards consolidating democracy in Africa since he left office as Nigeria’s leader.
8. Femi Falana (SAN), the lawyer to Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenat, has called the Federal Government to provide an alternative and adequate treatment for the couple in Nigeria.
9. A bloody clash was averted on Saturday by the police following failed attempts by a former militant leader and Niger Delta activist, Asari Dokubo, to hold an expanded inaugural meeting in support of Biafra.
10. The Nigerian Government on Saturday condemned the attack on the former deputy senate president, Senator Ike Ekweremadu by members of the IPOB.
Buhari issues fresh order to military over banditry
President Muhammadu Buhari Saturday in Katsina, Katsina State, charged the military to be more spontaneous in restoring peace to the country, particularly states troubled by bandits, ordering them “not to spare bandits’’ that have been killing, maiming and extorting innocent citizens.
Addressing 15 officers and 160 soldiers of the 17th Army Brigade and Nigerian Air Force 213 Operational Base in Katsina, under the “Operation Hadarin Daji’’, at the Umaru Musa Yar’Adua Airport, President Buhari, said:
“This group was formed by the military to secure the geo-political zone from the activities of bandits. Fundamentally, it is your responsibility to secure the country.
“As the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, I believe you are capable of doing it. I don’t think you should spare any bandit. Identify and eliminate them. Pursue them anywhere you can find them and eliminate them,’’ he said.
“Nigeria deserves peace. The rainy season is good and we are already achieving food security, but we need peace. The money saved from food importation will be used to purchase arms for operations,’’ he said.
The President, flanked by Governor Aminu Bello Masari, assured the troops that the Federal Government will provide all the necessary support for restoration of peace in the country.
“We will give you all the right equipment so that you can deal with them with despatch. I appreciate all your efforts but you can do more. I don’t want any bandit spared,’’ he added.
President Buhari said the government and all officials were being sustained in office by the ordinary people, and they owe the people a duty to protect their lives and property.
“Please give my regards to your families. The earlier you finish with the bandits, the earlier you will return and stay with your families,’’ he said.
Arewa2 days ago
Yari runs to court as EFCC seals Abuja mansion
News3 days ago
New minimum wage: NLC breaks silence in delayed implementation
Crime3 days ago
Fake policeman nabbed with stolen car in Anambra
News3 days ago
Reps summon DSS, CBN, NNPC, Customs, issue warning to heads
Arewa3 days ago
Boy, 15, fakes own kidnap, demands ransom of ₦500,000
News3 days ago
El-Zakzaky fires back from India, says Buhari govt lied
Arewa2 days ago
NDLEA talks tough over Gombe farmers inducing labourers with hard drugs
Education2 days ago
Nigerian Universities to be shut down from Monday as workers embark upon warning strike