1. The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has split with the formation of a new union, the Congress of University Academics, CUA. Lecturers from five universities in the country announced the formation of CONUA in Ile-Ife on Saturday.
2. The Chairman of Air Peace, Allen Onyema, has revealed why he decided to airlift Nigerians from South Africa during the xenophobic attacks. He said it was because of his passion and vow to God.
3. A chiefain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Lanre Razak, has said that the national leader of the party, Bola Tinubu, is ‘eminently’ qualified to succeed President Muhammadu Buhari in 2023.
4. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has said the All Progressives Congress (APC) invectives on former president Goodluck Jonathan, at the weekend, was unwarranted and best suited for President Muhammadu Buhari.
5. Constitutional lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome has said that President Muhammadu Buhari, and Vice-President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, Governors and Deputy Governors can be investigated while in office.
6. The member representing Mbaise/Ngor-Okpalla Federal Constituency of Imo State, Rep. Bede Eke at the weekend canvassed for the conceding of the 2023 Presidency to the South-East Zone of the country in the spirit of justice, enquiry and fair play. He said this arrangement would also put an end to the clamouring for the Republic of Biafra.
7. The organised labour in the country yesterday said it has not shifted ground on its plan to embark on a nationwide strike should the government fail to meet its demands on or October 16.
8. Legislative aides to senators and members of the House of Representatives in the current National Assembly are going through hard times. They have not been paid their salaries or allowances since June this year. The aides have also accused the management of the nation’s highest lawmaking institution of scheming to remove some of the allowances they enjoyed in past assemblies.
9. President Muhammadu Buhari has nominated Dr Akinwunmi Adesina for re-election as the President of African Development Bank (AfDB). Akinwunmi appreciated Buhari for nominating him for re-election for a second term as president of the bank.
10. Imo-born Big Brother Naija 2019 housemate, Mercy emerged winner of the 2019 ‘Double Wahala’ edition of the reality television show on Sunday. Mercy beat off competition from Mike, Seyi, Frodd and Omashola to win N60 million worth of prize. She’s the first female housemate to have achieved the feat.
BREAKING: Another torture centre with 11 inmates uncovered in Zaria
An illegal rehabilitation home that had transformed into a house of horror where inmates are tortured and left to writhe in pains has been discovered in Zaria, Kaduna State.
The discovery, which was made on Tuesday, left many across the city in shock.
At least 11 inmates made up of men and children were removed from the illegal facility.
The latest incident follows the discoveries of other unauthorised rehabilitation centres in Rigasa under Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna, and another in Katsina State.
Many of the inmates in those places were bound with chains and had various torture marks all over their bodies.
Man dies after drowning in kano
Speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria, the Public Relations Officer, Kano State Fire Service, Malam Saidu Mohammed said the incident happened on Tuesday morning when the deceased went to have his bath.
“We received a distress call today from one Malam Rabiu Abbas at 10.05 a.m. that Mohammed’s body was found floating in the pond.
“On receiving the information, we quickly sent our rescue team to the scene at 10.25 a.m.
“He was conveyed to the Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital, Kano, where the doctors confirmed him dead,” he said.
BREAKING: Benue Assembly member arrested over crime
Agbidye was apprehended in possession of a Toyota Hilux vehicle believed to belong to the late Justice Tine Tur.
He’s currently being taken to Abuja by the mobile squad.
Hon Agbidye is a member of the All Progressives Congress, APC and he won the 2019 Benue State House of Assembly election on the platform of the APC.
Reports from Katsina-Ala before and during the elections said notorious kingpin and wanted man, Terwase Akwaza, alias Gana, who is also said to have strong links with APC allegedly sponsored Jonathan Agbidye for the election “to represent him” in the House.
Gana, it was rumoured, had threatened that anyone who contested and defeated Agbidye would not remain alive to enjoy his tenure in the Assembly.
As a result of Gana’s threat to kill, the PDP candidate in Katsina-Ala who contested against Agbidye refused to file a petition against INEC’s declaration of the APC candidate as winner of the election.
Information has it that someone (name withheld) wrote a petition to the Inspector-General of Police on the suspected criminal activities of Agbidye including his ties with Gana.
The IGP, acting on the petition, detailed his men who began to trail the Benue lawmaker till he was nabbed in possession of the said stolen hilux vehicle.
When contacted, the state’s Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Anene Sewuese Catherine, confirmed the presence of IGP IRT team but yet to get the full details.
“I can confirm the presence of IRT in Benue but not sure of the arrest yet. I will meet with the team leader to get the full details shortly,” she said.
Arewa2 days ago
Three dead as vehicle, ‘keke’ collide in Jos
Arewa3 days ago
Terrorists kill four soldiers in Borno
Arewa3 days ago
Boko Haram: 7 killed, 8 crippled by IED in Borno as army arrests 24 in separate raids
News3 days ago
Residents panic as lion escaped from cage in Kano zoo
Crime1 day ago
Police recover N10m from kidnap gang, arrest 81 suspects
News3 days ago
Five crushed to death by hit-and-run driver in Ondo
World News1 day ago
Trump ‘fully prepared’ to use military force against Turkey to protect Kurds in Syria
Arewa2 days ago
Just in: Kwankwaso attacked in Kano