Connect with us

Arewa

Kaduna: Four suspected Shi’ite members nabbed as Ashura procession turns violent

Published

on

The Kaduna State Police Command has confirmed that it has arrested four suspected members of Shi’ites during their procession of the annual Ashura Day in Kaduna State on Tuesday.

The police alleged that the Shi’ites members on sighting the police, started pelting stones at them, hitting them with iron bolts using catapults, adding that the situation became very tensed and members became violent and unruly.

The state PPRO, DSP Yakubu Sabo, in a statement said in spite of the federal and Kaduna state governments have separately proscribed the the group recently, the teams of policemen were quickly dispatched to the areas with a view to dispersing the unlawful assembly and to manage the traffic.

The statement explained, “Today (Tuesday) at about 0655hrs, we received an information that members of the outlawed Islamic Movement of Nigeria, IMN, popularly known as Shiites came out en mass along Nnamdi Azikiwe Expressway Kaduna and at Kasuwan Mata area of zaria city respectively on procession in respect of the annual Ashura Day, blocking the public highways, causing traffic jam and molesting commuters.

“They were chanting slogans and demanding for the unconditional release of their spiritual leader sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky despite earlier warning by the Command yesterday.

“It is on record that both the federal government of Nigeria and the government of Kaduna State have separately proscribed the the group recently. Thus, teams of Policemen quickly dispatched to the areas with a view to dispersing the unlawful assembly and to manage the traffic. However, on sighting the Police, the protesters started throwing stones at them, hitting them with iron bolts using catapults. The situation became very tensed and members became violent and unruly.”

The statement said it was in view of the Shi’ites unruly behaviour that minimum force was used in dispersing them, adding that four suspects were so far arrested and are being investigated.

“We have also recovered some exhibits which include catapults and iron bolts. The police succeeded in dispersing the unlawful assembly and brought the situation under firm control. Meanwhile, patrols are being intensified to avert any possible breach of peace. Members of the public are going about their lawful businesses without hindrance.

“The Command also wants to put it on record that, up till now it has not formally received any report of death casualties as claimed by the proscribed group earlier today.”

The command reiterated its warning that the Kaduna state government has placed ban on procession in the state and to remind members of the IMN that the proscription placed on the group by the federal government of Nigeria and the government of Kaduna state are still in force, saying that the Nigeria Police would always enforce the lawful order accordingly.

It enjoined members of the public to go about their lawful businesses and to report any suspicious behaviour to the police or any law enforcement agency nearest to them.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Arewa

Katsina: Bandits free 30 more captives after deal with govt

Published

on

Repentant bandits in Katsina have released additional 30 kidnapped victims, following the dialogue initiated by the state government with their leaders.

The victims were presented to Gov. Aminu Masari at the Government House on Sunday in Katsina.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the victims were kidnapped by the bandits from Kankara and Shimfida, both in Jibia Local Government area of the state.

They were thereafter taken to their hideout in Damsadau forest, Zamfara State, where they spent some weeks.

Addressing the victims, Masari said that government would continue to persuade the bandits to release more kidnapped people until all of them were freed.

He directed that the released victims be taken to hospital for medical check up before reuniting them with their respective families.

One of the victims, Zinatu Sani from Kankara, while narrating her ordeal in the hands of the bandits, said that she was kidnapped from her matrimonial home, with two of her children.

She said that the bandits demanded for a N20 million ransom before they could release her and the children.

Sani explained that the ransom was later reduced to N6 million which, she said, her family could still not afford to pay.

She said that the suspected bandits used to give them rice to cook, with only water and salt.

“For 55 days, we slept in an open place without a roof, not minding the rainfall or heat,” she lamented.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Police rescue kidnapped lecturer, four still missing as kidnappers storm Abuja

Published

on



The police in the Federal Capital Territory has said that it rescued one Abubakar Alkali, a lecturer at Baze University, who was kidnapped on September 8 in Abuja.

This was disclosed in a statement by the Public Relations Officer of the command, DSP Anjuguri Manzah, on Sunday in Abuja.

The statement reads, “It is pertinent to inform the public that the police has successfully rescued the Baze University lecturer, who was kidnapped on September 8, 2019.

“The command wants to also inform the public that it has commenced discreet investigation into an unfortunate kidnap case that took place at Asokoro on September 14, 2019.

“The police are currently making concerted efforts to rescue the victim.

“Contrary to speculations on the social media about an upsurge in this crime, the command wishes to correct the notion and inform the public that the aforementioned were the only cases reported and efforts are ongoing to arrest the suspects behind the crime.”

Among of those allegedly kidnapped in the city on Saturday were two teenagers returning from Quran lessons at Wuse Zone 6.

Also, one Hannah Azubuike was said to have been abducted near Habiba Plaza in Maitama while another victim, Ummi Ardo, was kidnapped outside Blickers Supermarket in Asokoro.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

National Assembly warns ministers, heads of agencies

Published

on

The National Assembly has issued a stern warning to all the revenue generating federal ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) engaging in diversion of revenues to desist from the act.

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Finance, Sen. Solomon Adeola, gave the warning after a meeting with the Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Finance.

Adeola, in a statement issued on Sunday in Abuja by his Media Adviser, Chief Kayode Odunaro, said that the era of diversion of revenues generated by MDAs was over.

According to him, the National Assembly will ensure that the Federal Government generates enough revenue to implement people-oriented policies and programmes.

“It has been observed that year in year out, the Federal Government has not been able to meet its targets on independent revenue sources.

“Findings indicate that the major culprit in this shortcoming is the inadequacies of MDAs, coupled with their penchant for diversion of revenue on recurrent expenditure under frivolous excuses,” he said.

Adeola said that the National Assembly would not tolerate unauthorised expenditure by the ministry of finance or agencies of government not backed by law or relevant acts of the National Assembly guiding such expenditure.

He said that every expenditure must henceforth be in compliance with the Fiscal Responsibility Act and other applicable laws in Nigeria.

“Reports show that over the years, the Federal Government has not been able to surpass 30 per cent of its revenue targets.

“This has resulted in low level of budget implementation for critical capital projects.

“We need to reverse this trend. Indeed, we intend to introduce quarterly review of targets so that needed revenue can come to the federal purse” he stated.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: