Connect with us

Buhari

JUST IN: Finally, presidency explains why Osinbajo’s aides were fired

Published

on

The Presidency has stated reasons 35 aides attached to the office of the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, were sacked during the week.

A report emerged during the week indicating that over 30 aides attached to the VP had been sacked with their names and portfolios published.

A statement signed by Garba Shehu, a Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, and made available to DAILY POST on Friday, said, “The Presidency wishes to confirm that there is, on-going, an unprecedented overhaul of the nation’s seat of government, arising from which a number of political appointments have either been revoked or not renewed in the Second Term.

“The exercise, which has been ordered by the President, is to streamline decision-making, cut down multiple authorities and reduce the cost of administration.

“It is also an appropriate response to the general perception that the Presidency has an oversized and bloated workforce which acts as a drag on efficiency.

“As may have been noticed by discerning members of the public, a number of political appointees among the few that served in the office of the President were not returned for the Second Term.

“The office of the Vice President, His Excellency Yemi Osinbajo has, in compliance with the directive of the President, equally been shed of a number of such appointees.

“In carrying out these exercises, the overriding objective is to save taxpayer money and deliver needed service to the public. As far as the President is concerned, there is no scope for an excuse for administration after getting a huge mandate to run the country for four more years.

“In the light of this, the Presidency wishes to strongly deny rumours of a rift between President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo. The relationship between the two leaders remains excellent and trusting. Together, they will script a glorious future for the nation.

“The media reports of a soured relationship are originating from the minds and mouths of mischief-makers, who are desperate for entertaining stories from the Aso Rock Villa with which to titillate the public. This ulterior motive is the basis of the wrong interpretation given to the recent exercise in the Presidency.

“There has been a streamlining of staff going on for a while. The President has always had fewer staff than the Vice President, and there were always plans to reduce the number of staff at the Villa.

“The streamlining was not personal or targeted to undermine the Vice President’s office, as the so-called insider sources quoted by the media appear to make it seem.

“The President is in absolute control of his government. The media should stop attributing non-existent powers to some people. There cannot be anyone too powerful for President Buhari to control.”

Facebook Comments

Buhari

Border: Nigeria, Niger, Benin Republic Set Up Committee To Review Closure

Published

on



Nigeria, the Republic of Benin and Niger, have established a joint border patrol team comprising the police, customs, and immigration to recommend a date for the reopening of the borders.

The three countries agreed in a resolution on Thursday in Abuja at the end of the Tripartite Anti-Smuggling Committee Meeting of Nigeria, Benin, and Niger.

Reading the communiqué at the end of the meeting, Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, said the meeting noted the concerns raised by Niger and Benin and agreed to establish a monitoring and evaluating committee of the three countries.

He added that the committee would comprise ministers of finance, trade, foreign affairs, the customs, immigration, and the national security adviser.

Onyeama, “The meeting agreed that the monitoring and evaluation committee will ensure the full implementation of the adopted mandate of the Joint Anti-Smuggling Human Trafficking Committee.

“Nigeria, Benin also agreed on the establishment of trade facilitation committee among the three countries, comprising of ministers of finance and trade.

“To promote intra-regional trade among the three countries, as well as put in place, sanctions against smuggling of goods.

“The governments agreed to ensure persons from the three countries to enter/exit each other’s state with valid ECOWAS recognized travel documents through recognized controlled posts.

“Establishment of a joint border patrol team comprising the police, customs, immigration of the three countries.

“The team is to hold its first meeting in Abuja from November 25 to November 27, 2019.

“The patrol team is to agree on the modality to carry out its operation and recommend a date for the opening of the borders.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Buhari

Buhari reacts to death of Ex-Minister of Information, Alex Akinyele

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has commiserated with the family of former Minister of Information, Chief Alex Opeyemi Akinyele, who passed away on Thursday night.

DAILY POST had reported that Alexander Opeyemi Akinyele, died after a brief illness on Thursday night.

The death of the Ondo born public relations specialist was announced by his son, Constantine Akinfolarin Akinyele on Friday.

Reacting, Buhari in a statement issued by his Special Adviser on (Media & Publicity) Femi Adesina condoled with the government and people of Ondo State as well as friends and professional colleagues of the deceased.

Buhari urged them to take solace in the lasting legacies of the former colourful minister, who also served as Chairman of the National Sports Commission and Chairman of National Reconciliation Committee.

The statement added that, ‘As a trained teacher and Public Relations Specialist, Buhari affirms that Chief Akinyele’s scrupulousness, discipline and diligence were always obvious to those who worked closely with him, and his love for the nation, which was zealously demonstrated through providing exemplary leadership.”

He prayed that the Almighty God will grant the soul of the former minister eternal rest, and comfort all members of his family

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Buhari

Presidential Election: Why we dismissed Atiku, PDP case on INEC server – Supreme Court

Published

on

The Supreme Court has held that Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and his party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) were not able to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC had a server and that it transmitted election results electronically.

The apex court stated this while giving its reasons for dismissing the appeal by the PDP and Atiku.

The court held that the PDP and Atiku were wrong to have relied on results to get from a website: www.factsdontlieng.co., whose owner they could not establish, to claim to have won the election.

Justice Inyang Okoro, the lead judge, said, “I agree entirely with the court below that the appellants failed to prove that INEC has the server from which they got their figures.

“As a result, all the results, calculations, and analysis based on the results claimed are of no moment.”

The court resolved issue 3 against the appellant.

The apex court also resolved issue 4 against irregularity and corrupt practices against the appellants.

The 5th issue was also resolved against the appellant, which relates to the admission of some documents tendered by the respondents to the petition before the lower court.

The Supreme Court proceeded to dismiss the appeal after resolving all the five issues determined against the appellants.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2019 - AREWANG Media Limited