Connect with us

Education

2019 UTME: JAMB speaks on invigilators stopping hijab-wearing students

Published

on

The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board has reacted to allegations that some hijab wearing students were denied entry into the examination hall by its invigilators and supervisors.

DAILY POST had gathered that a daughter of a former ace broadcaster, Sulaiman Aledeh, was among several hijab-wearing female students who were denied entry at a JAMB examination center in Lagos on Thursday.

But reacting, JAMB in a statement on its official Twitter page
maintained that its rule does not prevent female candidates from wearing hijab or other dresses that defines their faith.

The body, however, said if truly the incident occurred ‘it must have been the result of an over zealous security agent.’

The Statement reads, ”The attention of the Board was drawn to a story making rounds on social media about an incident concerning a candidate that was allegedly asked to remove her hijab before entering the examination hall.

”The Board would like to state clearly that our rule does not prevent female candidates from wearing hijab or other dresses that defines their faith.

”We would continue to ensure that people exercise their freedom of religion even with the conduct of our examination so far it doesn’t compromise the sanctity of our examination.

”However, at every centre 2 security operatives (one male and one female) are on ground to screen candidates with dignity and respect. All officials were duly briefed on how to.

”This incident must have been the result of an over zealous security agent( if at all it happened) and not aimed at disrespecting the candidate’s religion.”

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

SSANU, NASU protest against 30bn earned allowance in Bayelsa

Published

on

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and Non Academic Staffs of Universities (NASU) have rejected the template used for sharing of the earned allowances disbursed by federal government to Nigerian universities.

The two groups made their positions known during a peaceful protest in Federal University Otuoke, branch in Bayelsa State, on Monday, against the 80 percent to 20 percent sharing formula of 2012 to 2016.

The protesting workers were displaying placards with inscriptions such as “JAC rejects 80%/20% sharing formula, University use your discretion for sharing, ‘We need fair sharing formula for earn allowance,” among others.

Addressing the protesters, SSANU branch chairman, Comr. Kalizibe Joseph, said the protest was in line with the directive from national secretariat that all branches should embark on three days peaceful protest nationwide against the proposed sharing formula of earned allowance.

He called on management to use it discretion and come up with a fair workable formula for all staffs of the institutions since it lies on the discretion of the universities and governing council and not on union basis.

According to Joseph, “issues of earned allowance is at the discretion of universities and governing council and not on union basis, we know that it is the bursary of the university that prepares what belongs to each staff from federal government.

“If it is unions, federal government would have paid the entire money to ASUU’s national account, and ASUU would do same by distributing to its branches.

“There is a CEO and assistant CEO that midwife the processes of this university, the money is already in coffers of university, it then means that the governing council will use its discretion in line with the number of staff and pay accordingly along side the bench mark that is stipulated.”

Responding, the Deputy Vice chancellor Prof. Teddy Charles, commended the unions for their peaceful disposition during the protest, adding that he will communicate their plights to the management.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Education

College Expels Students Over Alleged Involvement In Sex-hawking Online

Published

on



The Federal College of Education (Technical), Umunze, Anambra State, has expelled a female student of the institution, Anyaoha Goodness Ifeoma, and four other students over an allegation of sex-hawking online.

The institution made the decision after considering the report of the Students’ Disciplinary Committee.

The students, who had earlier appeared before the anti-cult unit and Students’ Disciplinary Committee, were said to have been expelled after making confessional statements concerning the allegation which was levelled against them.

An official letter from the school management, signed by Mr Chidi, I.M. for the Registrar partly read, “After investigations, the anti-cult unit and the Students’ Disciplinary Committee established a case of sex-hawking through in-message application against you and to which you had made confessional statements. Your activities constitute acts adjudged as major offense by the college as provided in the regulations guiding students’ conducts in the Students’ Handbook, page 102 No. 6.

“On the strength of the above, I have been directed to inform you that you are hereby expelled from the college with immediate effect.”

“Furthermore, you are to surrender to the Dean, Student Affairs any college property in your possession, particularly your identity card. Be guided accordingly.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Crime

Gunmen: University Of Ibadan Hostel Attached, Two Injured

Published

on



Two students staying at the Obafemi Awolowo Hall of the University of Ibadan have been injured following a robbery incident on the students’ hostel by some gunmen.

The armed robbers, according to some students, stormed the hostel robbing them of their valuables.

Our correspondent gathered that the armed robbers raided the finalists’ block of the hostel over an hour.

A student who claimed not to have a laptop was cut with a knife.

Students of the hostel revealed that the local security personnel of the institution guarding the hostel was overpowered and was praying while the robbery was ongoing.

An angry student said, “If a door to door robbery happened for an hour, possessions being collected at gunpoint, and no student knew how to reach the security agency, there’s a terrible disconnect.

“I’m not sure if there’s only one security personnel at the time, but even if there was, should he not have been calling for reinforcement instead of praying?

“They come with wrappers and sleep instead of guarding the hostel. They are old and unarmed.”

Another student said, “This robbery is not just another “unfortunate” event. It is a result of negligence on the part of the authorities. Someone somewhere failed to do his/her job. They must be held responsible.”

It was gathered that the school management pleaded to the residents of the hostel not to reveal what happened on social media.

A student of the university attributed the attack to the influx of students from other universities to the school who came for a football competition.

“Some students came from outside to play a football match in the school stadium complex very close to the hostel. The robbers might have gained access to the hostel through that way.”

Another student attributed the attack to the lackadaisical attitude of the school management to the security of the students whose hostel is in a ‘porous part of the school’.

“They (school management) know that where the hostel is not secured so they should always keep security men in the area,” the student said.

A student of another hostel who was robbed lamented that the school management is not concerned about the welfare of students, as robbers attack students at will.

“Last week, three laptops and four phones were stolen, my phone and laptop inclusive from Abdulsalam Abubakar Hall. After reporting the theft at the UI security services, no tangible action was taken.

“The thief came again and was almost apprehended but the security man on duty that night could not match his strength, so the thief jumped over the fence and escaped.

“My worries since then have been more about the sad realization of the malady with our society and how it has infected our institution.

“When my phone and laptop were stolen, some sympathizers told me not to press it because I won’t be able to recover those items and more important, the security man on duty may lose his job.”

“Now, a more brutal one has happened in Awo. Who’s going to be responsible for those properties lost and the trauma those students will be going through? I was once a victim and I can only imagine what they may be going through. We cannot allow this madness to continue, not within our institution,” a student said.

Confirming the attack, the Director of Communication, University of Ibadan, Mr. Olatunji Oladejo, said injured students have ben taken to the school clinic and investigation is ongoing.

“The Police from Ojoo, Bodija, Sango were called. They came and search for the robbers and investigation is on.”

Mr K.O Adebowale, Deputy Vice Chancellor (administration) visited the students and addressed the students assuring them of increased security around the hostel.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: