Connect with us

World News

Hong Kong: Politician’s ear ‘bitten off’ after knife fight breaks out | World News

Published

on

A Hong Kong politician is believed to have had his ear bitten off after a knife fight broke out over “political differences”.

Footage seen by Sky News seems to show a large part of Dr Andrew Chiu’s left ear on the ground.

The video shows volunteer first aiders tending to his injuries, and what appears to be his severed ear being handed to him in a plastic bag.

Local reports have claimed that the pro-democracy district councillor’s ear was bitten off.

Police said a fight broke out over “political differences” between a man and a family who had just finished dinner outside the Cityplaza shopping centre in Hong Kong’s Taikoo Shing district on Sunday evening.

The man is understood to have been speaking Mandarin, spoken in mainland China, as opposed to Cantonese which is spoken by Hong Kongers.

A woman who had minor injuries said the man argued with her sister and brother-in-law before pulling a knife out of a bag and swiping at them.

She said her brother-in-law was stabbed, and a man was seen lying unconscious in a pool of blood.

District councillor Dr Andrew Chiu's ear was allegedly bitten off

Image:
District councillor Dr Andrew Chiu’s ear was allegedly bitten off

It is not clear how Dr Chiu became involved, but he has been the district councillor for the Taikoo Shing West area since 2007 and is running in the 24 November election.

Joshua Wong, one of the leading activists in Hong Kong’s months-long pro-democracy movement, said his “close colleague Dr Andrew Chiu was assaulted in his constituency”.

He wrote: “His left ear was brutally halved. I strongly condemn these violent attacks especially targeting election candidates.”

Police arrested a protester at a shopping mall in Tai Po

Image:
Police arrested a protester at a shopping mall in Tai Po

The suspected attacker was seen bloodied on the ground after the crowd beat him up, and he was then arrested at the scene.

Police used tear gas to disperse protesters who had formed a human chain in the mall.



The relationship between Hong Kong and China is at it’s lowest for decades. These are the six moments you need to understand to really get why it has become such an important issue.

Why are people protesting in Hong Kong?

Riot police had been deployed to shopping malls across the city on Sunday after hundreds of people took to the streets in defiance of a protest ban.

Clashes between protesters and police broke out, with a handful of restaurants vandalised, and eggs thrown from within the malls.

Protesters marched on the streets in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong on Saturday

Image:
Protesters marched on the streets in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong on Saturday
Defying a police ban, thousands of protesters were streaming into Hong Kong's central shopping district on Saturday for another rally

Image:
Defying a police ban, thousands of protesters were streaming into Hong Kong’s central shopping district on Saturday for another rally

Organisers called for pro-democracy supporters to “go for a walk” in six Hong Kong districts to protest alleged police brutality during the 22 weeks of protests.

On Saturday, thousands of protesters were forced to flee a park and the upmarket shopping district of Causeway Bay after police released tear gas.

Hong Kongers originally took to the streets to call for a bill which would mean accused criminals could be extradited to China to face trial to be removed.

The protests have turned into an anti-government movement, accusing Hong Kong’s leaders of being under Beijing’s thumb despite a deal with the UK to maintain its freedoms when Hong Kong was returned to China in 1997.

Facebook Comments

World News

Israel and Islamic Jihad reach ceasefire after dozens killed | World News

Published

on

Israel and the militant group Islamic Jihad have begun a ceasefire after at least 34 Palestinians were killed in the heaviest fighting in months.

Almost half of the dead were civilians, including eight children and three women, medical officials in Gaza said.

Eight members of one Gaza family were killed by an Israeli missile strike shortly before the truce came into effect, officials and residents said.

They claimed none of the victims were militants.

Palestinians gather at the scene of an Israeli air strike in the central Gaza Strip

Image:
Palestinians gather at the scene of an Israeli airstrike in the central Gaza Strip

However, Israeli military spokesman Major Avichay Adraee said the head of the family, Rasmi Abu Malhous, who was among the dead, was the commander of Islamic Jihad rocket crews in the central Gaza Strip, although the group has not claimed him as a member.

Some of the family’s bodies were completely buried in sandy earth, neighbours helping rescue workers to pull them out.

In two days of fighting, southern Israel was paralysed as militants fired hundreds of rockets across the border, injuring dozens of people.

Hamas, the dominant faction in Gaza, appeared to stay out of this round of fighting.

The clashes began early on Tuesday after Israel killed one of Islamic Jihad’s senior commanders, Bahaa Abu el-Atta, who it had deemed to be an imminent threat.

He was claimed to be behind a string of rocket attacks, and was believed to be planning cross-border infiltration, Israel said.

Rockets are fired from Gaza towards Israel

Image:
Rockets are fired from Gaza towards Israel

The Egyptian-brokered ceasefire began at 5.30am (03.30 GMT), about 48 hours after the fighting began, Islamic Jihad spokesman Musab al-Berim said.

“The ceasefire began under Egyptian sponsorship after the Occupation (Israel) submitted to the conditions set by Islamic Jihad on behalf of Palestinian resistance factions,” he said.

An Israeli military spokesman announced that its Gaza operation was over on Twitter.

“Quiet will be answered with quiet,” Israel’s foreign minister, Israel Katz, told its Army Radio.

Islamic Jihad, like Hamas, refuses to accept permanent coexistence with Israel.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

World News

Evo Morales: Bolivia’s president quits over electoral fraud claims

Published

on

Bolivian President Evo Morales has resigned amid deepening unrest over allegations of electoral fraud.

The announcement came after the country’s military chief went on TV on Sunday to call for him to step down.

Mr Morales has endured weeks of anti-government protests since his election victory last month was called into question, with the Organization of American States later discovering “clear manipulation” at the polls.

Concerns were initially raised about a day-long gap in reporting results from the poll, just before a spike in votes for Mr Morales.

Mr Morales, who came to power in 2006, had promised a fresh election.

In his TV appeal, General Williams Kaliman said: “After analysing the situation of internal conflict, we ask the president to resign, allowing peace to be restored and stability to be maintained for the good of our Bolivia.”

He also urged Bolivians not to resort to violence.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

World News

India’s top court awards disputed holy site in Ayodhya to Hindus | World News

Published

on

India’s top court has awarded a disputed religious site to Hindus – rejecting a rival Muslim claim.

The verdict threatens to heighten tensions between the two communities, which have been embroiled in a bitter dispute over the land – with deadly riots ensuing.

The unanimous ruling paves the way for the building of a Hindu temple on the site in the northern town of Ayodhya, a move long supported by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ruling Hindu-nationalist party.

Security has been tightened in Ayodhya

Image:
Ahead of the ruling, security was tightened in Ayodhya and across India

It will be seen as a political victory for Mr Modi, who won a second term in a landslide general election win this year.

The row over ownership has been one of the country’s most contentious issues.

Hindus believe the three-acre plot of land – which is about the size of a football pitch – was the birthplace of Lord Ram, a physical incarnation of the Hindu god Vishnu.

They argue the site was holy for Hindus long before the Muslim Mughals, India’s most prominent Islamic rulers, built what was known as the Babri mosque there in 1528.

The mosque was destroyed by a Hindu mob in 1992, triggering religious riots in which about 2,000 people, most of them Muslim, were killed across the country.

It also led to a series of court battles with various groups staking claim to the site.

India’s supreme court directed that an alternate parcel of land be provided to a Muslim group that had staked a claim to the disputed site.

The land has been heavily protected since the 1992 religious clashes.

Ahead of the ruling, security was tightened in Ayodhya and across India, especially in cities that have been the scene of communal violence previously.

In some regions, restrictions were placed on gatherings and police were monitoring social media to curb rumours that could inflame community tensions.

In some towns, internet services were also suspended, while schools and colleges have been closed until Monday.

In a series of tweets last night, Mr Modi said: “Whatever decision of the supreme court will come on Ayodhya, it will not be a victory or defeat for anyone.

“My appeal to the countrymen is that it should be the priority of all of us that this decision should further strengthen the great tradition of peace, unity and goodwill of India.”

Hindu supporters and activists celebrated the ruling on the court lawns, blowing bugles and chanting “Jai Shree Ram”, or hailing the god Ram.

A lawyer representing the Muslims deplored the ruling.

“We are not satisfied with the verdict and it’s not up to our expectation,” said Zafaryab Jilani, who is representing the Muslim community group.

He hinted at filing a review petition in the supreme court challenging Saturday’s verdict. At the same time, he appealed to members of all communities to maintain peace.

Vishnu Shankar Jain, an attorney who represented the Hindu community, said it had been a struggle.

“It was a huge legal battle and we are happy that we convinced the supreme court. It’s a historic moment for Hindus,” he said.

Raj Nath Singh, India’s defence minister, appealed to people to “accept the court verdict and maintain peace”.

In Islamabad, Pakistan’s foreign minister, Shah Mahmood Qureshi, criticised the verdict, saying it was indicative of the “hate-based mindset” of Mr Modi’s government.

“This is nothing but Modi’s government continued policies of cultivating seeds of hatred and promoting differences between the communities and religious segments of the population to achieve its designs,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright 2019 - AREWANG Media Limited