Connect with us

World News

30 dead as gold mine collapses in Afghanistan

At least 30 people have been killed in a gold mine collapse in northeastern Afghanistan.

Another seven were injured in the incident in the Kohistan district of Badakhshan province, district governor Mohammed Rustam Raghi said.

Villagers had dug a 60m (200ft) deep shaft in a river bed to search for the gold and were inside when the walls caved in.

“The people were using an excavator to dig a big hole in the river when it collapsed, trapping dozens of workers,” Mr Raghi said.

“At least 30 people have been killed and seven wounded.”

It was not clear why the shaft collapsed.

However, the provincial governor’s spokesman, Nik Mohammad Nazari, told AFP the miners were not professionals.

“The villagers have been involved in this business for decades with no government control over them,” Mr Nazari said.

“We have sent a rescue team to the area, but villagers have already started removing bodies from the site.”

Defence ministry helicopters have been dispatched to deliver cash to the families of the victims and airlift the wounded to hospitals, said Hashmat Bahaduri, spokesman for the national disaster management authority.

He said that families of the wounded would receive 10,000 afghanis (£104) in compensation, while those of the dead would get 50,000 afghanis (£521).

Badakhshan is a remote, mountainous province in northeast Afghanistan bordering Tajikistan, China and Pakistan.

Illegal mining is common in Afghanistan, which is rich in resources, with the Taliban relying on the sector for much of its revenue.

It has over 1,400 mineral fields, containing barite, chromite, coal, copper and gold among many other minerals.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World News

Swastikas painted on Jewish graves in French cemetery

Swastikas and antisemitic slogans have been smeared on about 90 graves in a Jewish cemetery in France, local officials said.

The graffiti appeared in the cemetery in Quatzenheim, near Strasbourg, overnight on Tuesday – hours before planned nationwide marches against a rise in antisemitic attacks.

French president Emmanuel Macron visited the graveyard on Tuesday, walking through a gate with a swastika sprayed onto it.

He paid his respects at one of the desecrated graves and told Jewish community members and local leaders: “It’s important for me to be here with you today.”

Emmanuel Macron made a sombre visit to the cemetery in Quatzenheim near Strasbourg

Emmanuel Macron made a sombre visit to the cemetery in Quatzenheim near Strasbourg
Many French political leaders are due to join Tuesday evening’s march in Paris against antisemitism, although Mr Macron will not be there.

There were more than 500 antisemitic attacks across France in 2018, a 74% increase from 2017, figures released last week revealed.

After a series of antisemitic attacks last January Mr Macron urged the whole of France to “rise up” against “disgusting attacks” on the country’s Jewish community.

More from Emmanuel Macron

Incidents in recent days included yellow vest protesters on Saturday abusing Alain Finkielkraut, a well-known Jewish writer and son of a Holocaust survivor.

Emmanuel Macron paid his respects at a gravestone daubed with a swastika

Emmanuel Macron paid his respects at a gravestone daubed with a swastika
With about 550,00 Jews living in France, the country has the largest Jewish community in Europe.

It has grown by about half since the Second World War, but antisemitic attacks remain common.

Earlier this month a bagel shop was sprayed with the word Juden – German for Jews – in yellow letters.

Swastikas were painted on about 90 gravestones

Swastikas were painted on about 90 gravestones
And artwork on two Paris post boxes with the image of Holocaust survivor and former magistrate Simone Veil on were defaced with swastikas.

A Jewish cemetery in Herrlisheim, north of Strasbourg, also had many of its gravestones daubed with swastikas in December last year.

In 2015 four Jews in a Kosher supermarket in Paris were among 17 killed across the city by Islamist militants.

Earlier this month mailboxes with Holocaust survivor and politician Simone Veil on were vandalised

Earlier this month mailboxes with Holocaust survivor and politician Simone Veil on were vandalised
In 2012 an Islamist gunman killed a rabbi and three children at a Jewish school in Toulouse.

“These acts are disgusting,” Prime Minister Edouard Philippe told parliament last week.

“We need to educate and remind people about our history, to talk about the horrors that hide behind those criminal acts.

“We also need to punish (more) and we know that we can’t be hesitant on that.”

Mr Macron will host a dinner on Wednesday with the head of Crif, the overarching body that represents the Jewish community in France.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Hausa

Nijar ta samu tallafi maganin malaria daga Amurka

Sauro ne ke haddasa cutar malaria

Hakkin mallakar hoto
Getty Images

Gwamnatin Amurka ta tallafa wa jamhuriyar Nijar da magungunan zazzabin cizon sauro wato malaria na milyoyin CFA.

Tallafin dai ya hada da magungunan rigakafin zazzabin cizon sauro dama na magance cutar da zarar an kamu da ita.

Kazalika daga cikin tallafin da Amurkan ta ba wa Nijar, akwai gidajen sauro.

Amurka dai ta bayar da wannan taimako ne ga Nijar da zimmar rage yaduwar cutar ta malaria da akshi 50 cikin 100.

Wannan tallafi na Amurkan, na daga cikin wani tsari ne na kasar wajen tallafa wa kasashe masu tasowa.

Cutar zazzabin cizon sauro na daga cikin cututtukan da ke saurin kisan kananan yara da ma mata masu juna biyu a kasar.

Gwamnatin Nijar ta kasa yakin da take a kan yaduwar cutar zuwa gida uku da suka hada da neman tallafi da wadatar da al’ummar kasar da maganin rigakafin cutar da kuma tsaftace unguwanni.

Kasashen Afrika ne suka fi fama da cutar zazzabin cizon sauro, kuma yawancin wadanda ke mutuwa yara ne.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

World News

Two dozen bodies recovered from flooded illegal Zimbabwe gold mine

The bodies of 24 illegal gold miners have been recovered from flooded tunnels in Zimbabwe after a dam wall collapsed following heavy rain.

Up to 70 may have been trapped in the mine and the search near Kadoma continues, the government said. It has declared a national disaster.

A relative of a deceased miner

Image:
A relative of a deceased miner wears a mask near the mine
Eight people were rescued, all but one of whom have been discharged from hospital.

Henrietta Rushwaya, who leads the country’s small-scale miners’ association, said 23 of the bodies had been identified.

According to the government’s deputy chief mining engineer, “it doesn’t seem likely” that there are any other survivors.

Only eight of the estimated 70 trapped miners are thought to have survived

Only eight of the estimated 70 trapped miners are thought to have survived
The disaster happened in Battlefields – a small settlement 110 miles west of Harare that is rich in gold deposits and popular with illegal miners.

Friends and relatives have broken police lines in an attempt to identify their loved ones.

Surviving miners were exhausted and muddied after being pulled out

Surviving miners were exhausted and muddied after being pulled out
The makeshift shafts and tunnels, some running as deep as 50m (164ft), can easily collapse in the rainy season when the ground is soft.

According to the Zimbabwean government, $200,000 (£155,000) is needed to complete the rescue effort – with a spokesman urging “well-wishers” to donate body bags, masks and gloves.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: