Speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria, the Public Relations Officer, Kano State Fire Service, Malam Saidu Mohammed said the incident happened on Tuesday morning when the deceased went to have his bath.
“We received a distress call today from one Malam Rabiu Abbas at 10.05 a.m. that Mohammed’s body was found floating in the pond.
“On receiving the information, we quickly sent our rescue team to the scene at 10.25 a.m.
“He was conveyed to the Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital, Kano, where the doctors confirmed him dead,” he said.
Nigerian Newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Thursday morning
1. Several persons were reported dead and many others injured in a clash that ensued between supporters of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Ogbolomabiri community in Nembe Local Government Area of Bayelsa State during a governorship rally organised by the ruling party.
The attackers, it was also learnt, opened fire on the protocol bus of the Bayelsa State Government House along the junction between Bassambiri and Ogbolomabiri communities.
2. The Executive Council of the Edo State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has ratified the suspension of the National Chairman of the party, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, from the party in the state.
The decision was reached at an enlarged meeting of the council and other party chieftains with the state governor, Godwin Obaseki, in Benin City, on Wednesday. At the meeting, the leaders said the suspension of Comrade Oshiomhole became necessary because the national chairman has been deploying divisive tactics to cause disharmony in the party in collaboration with the proscribed group, Edo Peoples Movement (EPM).
3. The Department of State Services (DSS) has explained why it is yet to release Omoyele Sowore, convener of RevolutionNow Movement.
The Service in a statement by its spokesman, Peter Afunanya, reiterated its avowed readiness to release Sowore once the processes are concluded, adding that the appropriate persons have still not turned up to take delivery of Sowore.
4. The Court of Appeal sitting in Calabar on Wednesday affirmed the victory of Governor Udom Emmanuel of the PDP in the March 9 gubernatorial elections in Akwa Ibom State. The Appeal was filed against the judgement of the tribunal delivered on September 5, 2019 at Uyo, which dismissed Mr Ekere’s petition for wanting in merit. Delivering judgement in the Appeal filed by Mr Nsima Ekere, the Governorship Candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) challenging the re-election of His Excellency, Mr Udom Emmanuel in the March 9, 2019 Gubernatorial Elections, the five-man panel gave her judgement on all the issues set out by parties in the appeal.
5. The gubernatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the March 9th 2019 gubernatorial election in Oyo State, Mr. Adebayo Adelabu, has declared that he is approaching the Supreme Court in order to validate his victory at the poll.
Adelabu in a statement he personally signed on Wednesday, alleged that some agents of darkness perfected the plan to steal his mandate, this according to him, necessitated his resolve to approach the judiciary to reclaim his mandate.
6. The Senate on Wednesday approved the refund of N10.069 billion to Kogi State government ahead of governorship election slated for Saturday.
The approval followed a report by the Senate Committee Chairman on Local debts and Foreign Loans, Senator Clifford Akhimienmona Ordia.
7. The Court of Appeal sitting in Makurdi on Wednesday affirmed the election of the Speaker of Benue State Assembly, Titus Uba, representing Kyan state constituency.
Justice E. J. Ekanem, in his lead panel judgment held that the appeal brought against the speaker by the All Progressives Congress (APC)’s Gwaza Ujamatyu, lacked merit.
8. The House of Representatives has urged the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) to extend the use of compulsory National Identification Number (NIN) in the conduct of examinations till 2021.
This followed a motion moved by Rep. Zainab Gimba (APC-Borno) under Matters of Urgent Public Importance at plenary presided over by the Speaker of the House, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila on Wednesday. The House said the extension would allow more time to better sensitise prospective candidates to the NIN.
9. An Ikeja Special Offences Court on Wednesday sentenced to death, three men who kidnapped a Lagos monarch and killed his palace guard.
Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo sentenced Duba Fureso, Reuben Anthony and Yerin Fresh, who kidnapped the Oniba of Iba, Oba Oseni Goriola, murdered his 72-year-old palace guard, Mr Sunday Okanlawon, and attempted to murder the monarch’s wife, Bosede.
10. Nigeria began their quest to be at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations, with a narrow 2-1 win over Benin Republic on Wednesday.
The Super Eagles had to fight from a goal down, as the Squirrels opened scoring at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo.
Kaduna: Police begin investigation into killing of personnel by gunmen
The command’s Deputy Public Relations Officer, ASP Suleiman Abubakar, made the disclosure in a press statement issued on Wednesday in Kaduna.
Abubakar said the personnel were mandated to comb the area and ensure that the culprits were apprehended and brought to face justice.
DAILY POST reports that three policemen were killed on Tuesday at about 1:00pm when gunmen opened fire on their patrol vehicle.
The statement read: “The operatives engaged the hoodlums and in the process Insp. Bobai Bature, Insp. Daniel Dogo and Sgt. Mamman Ahmadu, paid the supreme sacrifice while other team members escaped unhurt.
“The Commissioner of Police, Ali Janga, was greatly saddened by the unfortunate incident and commiserates with the families of the gallant men who laid down their lives for the common good of the country.
“The CP assures the public that the culprits will not escape the long arms of the law. The Command is doing everything possible to apprehend those behind this dastardly act.”
He called on the general public to assist the Police with relevant information to apprehend the killers and other criminals across the state.
Gunmen set police van ablaze in Kaduna
The incident happened along Kwanar Labi-Kwaru forest, close to Udawa village in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna state.
A source who do not want his identity revealed said the incident occurred around 11pm after a gun duel between the suspected bandits and the police as they were on their way to Kaduna from Birnin Gwari.
Recall that the Birnin Gwari-Kaduna highway has come under constant attacks from suspected bandits, who terrorise motorists plying the road.
A source among the vigilantes working on the routes told our reporter that a policeman was injured during the attack, while some ran into the forest.
“They (police) were travelling in the white escort van at a place called Kwaru after Kwanar Labi close to Udawa town when they came under attack. The bandits were in large number. One policeman sustained injuries while the rest escaped into the bush.
“No life was lost in the attack but the van was set ablaze by the bandits,” he said.
A Birnin Gwari resident, who did not want his name mentioned, told our reporter that the van was completely burnt.
“I saw when the car was burning because I was travelling on the same day too but we couldn’t stop because the area where the incident happened is considered danger zone,” he said.
When contacted, the acting Public Relations Officer of the State Police Command, ASP Sulaiman Abubakar, said he would get the details and get back to our reporter but was yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.
Arewa2 days ago
Trailer being chased by police crushes 20 persons to death in Yola
News14 hours ago
Scores feared dead, many injured as PDP, APC supporters clash in Bayelsa
Arewa2 days ago
BREAKING: Kogi Guber: Policemen teargas IGP Adamu, INEC Chairman, Yakubu, others during peace accord
News24 hours ago
APC crisis: Oshiomhole told to resign immediately
Crime3 days ago
Yadda aka sace wanda ya kai kudin fansa a Kaduna | BBC Hausa
News2 days ago
Nigeria vs Benin Republic: What Ahmed Musa, Osimhen said about 2021 AFCON qualifier
Arewa2 days ago
Zamfara Peace Accord: Vigilante groups surrender arms to government
Hausa22 hours ago
APCn Jihar Edo ta dakatar da Adams Oshiomole