Connect with us

World News

Boy, 5, dies after spreading Ebola to Uganda in first cross-border case of new outbreak

A five-year-old boy has died after spreading Ebola to Uganda in the first cross-border case in the latest deadly outbreak of the virus.

The child, who had been vomiting blood, was receiving treatment in western Uganda after his family entered the country from Congo.

He died overnight, according to an official.

Two more cases of Ebola have been detected in Uganda after the family entered the country.

Those with the virus are believed to be relatives of the boy.

The child’s mother had returned to Congo to nurse her father who died of the disease, the health minister said on Tuesday.

The World Health Organisation has confirmed that the boy is the first Ebola case outside Congo since the latest outbreak began in August 2018.

Nearly 1,400 people have died in what has become the second-deadliest outbreak of the virus in history.

Authorities in Congo are trying to determine how the boy’s family, who were exposed to the Ebola, managed to cross into Uganda.

Congo’s health ministry has said dozens of members of the family had showed symptoms of the virus and were put in isolation.

But six managed to leave while awaiting transfer to an Ebola treatment centre.

The boy and his family have been isolated and are being treated in Uganda

The boy’s family have been isolated and are being treated in Uganda

Authorities say they entered Uganda where they have since been isolated.

Experts have long-feared the virus could spread to neighbouring countries because of unrest hampering response work in Congo, one of the world’s most unstable regions.

Ebola can spread quickly via close contact with bodily fluids of those infected and can be fatal in up to 90% of cases.

Henry Mwebesa, a physician and the national director of health services in Uganda, has said health teams “are not panicking”.

He added that the virus in Uganda “is not going to go beyond” the patient’s family.

The Congolese family are not likely to have passed through official border points, where health workers screen all travellers for a high temperature and isolate those who show signs of illness.

Uganda is more stable than eastern Congo and for the first time an experimental but effective Ebola vaccine is being widely used, with more than 130,000 doses distributed.

Ebola has been especially feared in the country, where multiple outbreaks have occurred over the years.

An outbreak in the north in 2000 infected 425 people and killed more than half of them.

Medical staff dress in protective clothing for a weekly rehearsal in Uganda in December 2018

Medical staff dress in protective clothing for a weekly rehearsal in Uganda in December 2018
It comes as Texas health officials said there were no “suspected or confirmed cases” of Ebola in the state.

Social media posts falsely suggested the virus had arrived in Texas with immigrants arriving from Africa, including Congo, where the outbreak has surpassed 2,000 cases.

The false claims, ranging from there is an Ebola “outbreak” in Texas to reports of a few confirmed cases, have been circulating since April.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Egypt authorities killed Morsi – President Erdogan alleges

Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused Egypt authorities for the death of an ex-Egyptian president, Mohamed Morsi.

Erdogan blamed Egypt authorities when delivering a televised speech in Istanbul on Wednesday, saying that Morsi was struggling on the floor in the courtroom for 20 minutes and nothing was done to save him.

“Morsi was killed, he did not die of natural causes.

“I will follow up on the process related to Morsi’s death and do whatever is needed for Egypt to be tried in international courts,” he said.

DAILYPOST recalls that former Egypt President, Morsi died in court.

Morsi was buried on Tuesday, as rights groups including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch called for an independent probe into the causes of his death.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

World News

‘Credible evidence’ Saudi crown prince responsible for Khashoggi murder – UN expert

A UN expert investigating the murder of Jamal Khashoggi says there is “credible evidence” suggesting Saudi Arabia’s crown prince is responsible for the killing.

Agnes Callamard, the UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial executions, has recommended an investigation into the possible role of Mohammed bin Salman in the journalist’s death.

In a 101-page report into Mr Khashoggi’s murder at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last October, Ms Callamard calls for the UN to “demand” a follow-up criminal investigation.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman attends the Future Investment Initiative FII conference in the Saudi capital Riyadh on October 24, 2018. - The summit, nicknamed 'Davos in the desert', has been overshadowed by growing global outrage over the murder of a Saudi journalist inside the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul. (Photo by GIUSEPPE CACACE / AFP) (Photo credit should read GIUSEPPE CACACE/AFP/Getty Images)

Saudi Arabia has denied Mohammed bin Salman was involved in Mr Khashoggi’s death

She noted the “extreme sensitivity” of considering the criminal responsibility of the crown prince, as well as Saud Alqahtani, a senior adviser to the Saudi royal court who has not been charged.

“No conclusion is made as to guilt,” she wrote of the two men.

“The only conclusion made is that there is credible evidence meriting further investigation.”

There was no immediate reaction from Saudi Arabia but the kingdom has regularly denied accusations that the prince was involved.

More from Jamal Khashoggi

Mr Khashoggi, a critic of the prince and a Washington Post columnist, was last seen at the Saudi consulate on 2 October where he was due to receive papers ahead of his wedding.

His body was dismembered and removed from the building, the Saudi prosecutor has said, and his remains have not been found.

Following a six-month investigation, Ms Callamard said it was her conclusion that Mr Khashoggi was “the victim of a deliberate, premeditated execution” and an “extrajudicial killing for which the state of Saudi Arabia is responsible under international human rights law”.

“There is credible evidence, warranting further investigation of high-level Saudi officials’ individual liability, including the crown prince’s,” she added.

“Indeed, this human rights inquiry has shown that there is sufficient credible evidence regarding the responsibility of the crown prince demanding further investigation.”

Salah Khashoggi, Jamal Khashoggi's son, meets Mohammed Bin Salman. Pic: Saudi Press Association

Jamal Khashoggi’s son Salah (left) met the crown prince after his father’s death

Ms Callamard said there was “no reason why sanctions should not be applied against the crown prince and his personal assets”.

She went to Turkey earlier this year with a team of forensic and legal experts and said she received evidence from Turkish authorities.

She said she obtained access to a recording of the killing and had received information about a “financial package” offered to Mr Khashoggi’s children.

Her report offers gruesome, nearly minute-by-minute accounting of the events surrounding the killing, and cites sounds of a buzzing saw that could have been used to dismember Mr Khashoggi’s body.

Jamal Khashoggi was killed after going into the consulate on 2 October

Mr Khashoggi’s remains have never been found

Ms Callamard said she received no response to her request to travel to Saudi Arabia.

Eleven people are on trial in Saudi Arabia over the murder in largely secret proceedings, and five could face the death penalty.

Ms Callamard named 15 suspects in the case, while the US State Department has publicly identified 16 people for their alleged roles in the killing.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

World News

Polar bear wanders into a city hundreds of miles from its Arctic home | World News

An emaciated polar bear has wandered into a Russian industrial city in Siberia – hundreds of kilometres away from its natural Arctic habitat.

The visibly weak female bear lay despondently on the ground for hours in Norilsk in northern Siberia on Tuesday.

Its feet caked in mud, the bear occasionally rose to desperately sniff around for food on a garbage dump.

The weak bear lay on the ground despondently for hours

Image:
The weak bear lay on the ground despondently for hours

The polar bear is the first to be seen in the city in more than 40 years, according to local environmentalists.

Local wildlife expert Oleg Krashevsky, who filmed the polar bear close up, said it was unclear what had brought the animal to the city – far south of its normal hunting grounds.

The bear desperately searched for food on a garbage dump

Image:
The bear desperately searched for food on a garbage dump

He said the bear had watery eyes and could clearly not see well, and that local officials will now decide whether they can catch the animal and airlift it back to the north.

Emergency officials in the city of Norilsk warned residents about the bear.

The bear occasionally rose to sniff around the Siberian city

Image:
The bear occasionally rose to sniff around the Siberian city

Environmentalists say wild animals are suffering from the shrinking hunting environment and receding ice as the Arctic gets warmer due to global warming, prompting some to venture south in search of food.

Compared with the rest of the world, the Arctic is warming twice as fast.

It is unclear whether the bear will be airlifted back to its natural habitat

Image:
It is unclear whether the bear will be airlifted back to its natural habitat

State wildlife experts are expected to arrive in Norilsk on Wednesday to assess the bear’s condition.

Mr Kravesky said the bear might be too weak to be taken back to its natural habitat.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: