Connect with us

Arewa

Boko Haram: Army engineer cries over killing of personnel in North East

Published

on

Many personnel of the Nigerian Army attached to the Nigerian Army Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (NAEME) have been killed in the fight against insurgents in the North East, a top commander of the service has revealed.

Commander of the NAEME, Major General J.B. Olawunmi, who made this known at the weekend to newsmen, lamented that some officers and men of the corps have paid the supreme price in the service to the nation, especially in the counter-terrorism operations in the North East, Daily Sun reports.

While praying that Almighty God would grant the souls of the slain soldiers eternal rest and quicken the healing of their injured colleagues, General Olawunmi said that the corps’ training activities for the year 2018 were successfully conducted, with the attendant improvement in the performance of personnel.

The commander spoke at the 2018 West African Social Activities (WASA) of the for corps, saying, “I must not fail to acknowledge the fact that nothing would have been achieved without the support of the Chief of Army Staff, who graciously provided all the resources needed to perform effectively. He graciously approved the establishment, renovation of our NAEME barracks in Auchi, Edo State, among others too numerous to mention here.”

Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, had earlier called on troops of the Nigerian Army to exhibit absolute loyalty to President Muhammadu Buhari, especially as the elections draw near. He warned that army personnel must do everything to ensure the success of the elections and the sustenance of democracy in Nigeria.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Arewa

Boko Haram Kills Aid Worker In Borno, Three Others Missing

Published

on



Boko Haram militants have killed a member of the Action Against Hunger, Grace Taku, as well as a driver while three health workers are missing.

The incident happened when a convoy of the aid agency was heading to Damasak in Borno State.

The attack is coming a day after an army commander, colonel and some soldiers were ambushed in Yobe State by Boko Haram terrorists.

A statement by Action Against Hunger reads, “One of the drivers was killed, while one Action Against Hunger staff member, two of the drivers and three health workers are missing.

“We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident as these are colleagues dedicated to providing life-saving assistance to individuals and families affected by the ongoing humanitarian crisis in the northeast of Nigeria. We are very concerned and want to ensure that they are safe and can be reunited with their families.

“Action Against Hunger strives to ensure that millions of people in need of humanitarian assistance in northeast Nigeria receive the essential services required for their survival, especially women and children.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Nigerian Passport Scam: EFCC Arrests Immigration Officer, 14 Others

Published

on



The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Lagos Zonal office, has arrested a Nigeria Immigration Service officer, Mr Adebimpe Kehinde, for his alleged involvement in passport racketeering.

Mr Tony Orilade, EFCC acting spokesperson, who disclosed this in a statement in Abuja on Thursday. Orilade said that Mr Kehinde is an immigration assistant.

According to Orilade, Kehinde was arrested alongside 14 other suspected passport racketeers following intelligence reports received by the commission.

The suspects are Nnadika Timothy, Oyeyiga Samuel, Sunday Adekunle, Lola Kadoso, Adebayo Damilola, Adeola Oluwafikayomi Ajiboshin, Abubakri Adebayo.


Others are Uka Ifeanyi, Raph Emeka Ibuaku, Henry Onyebuchi, Christy Odey, Aba-Peter Blessing, Ogunmefun Oluwanishola and Busayo Balogun.

Orilade stated that the suspects conspired to extort money from unsuspecting members of the public applying for international passports.

According to him, items recovered from the suspects at the point of arrest include five laptops, mobile telephones and “official documents”.

“They will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded,” he stated.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Atiku Gets 55 Cartons Of Documents From INEC As He Closes His Case Today

Published

on



Ahead of Friday’s sitting, the Independent National Electoral Commission has produced the documents which the presidential election petitions tribunal, in Abuja called for on Wednesday at the instance of the Peoples Democratic Party and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar.

The documents which were packed in 55 cartons would be the last to be presented to the tribunal as the petitioners are expected to close their case on Friday.

However, only 58 out of its proposed 400 witnesses had been called as of Wednesday which happened to be the ninth of the ten days given to the petitioners by the tribunal to present their case.

The petitioners are, by their petition, challenging the victory of President Muhammadu Buhari and his All Progressives Congress at the February 23 poll.

The tribunal of five judges led by Justice Mohammed Garba had on Wednesday ordered INEC to produce the documents by noon on Thursday.

This followed the complaints by the petitioners that the subpoenas issued and served on INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu, and the commission’s resident electoral commissioner in Zamfara State to produce the documents had not been complied with.

The tribunal had on Wednesday adjourned the case until Friday, but the counsel to the PDP and Atiku, Chris Uche (SAN), attended the Thursday’s proceedings scheduled for hearing in respect of other petitions filed by the Hope Democratic Party and the Peoples Democratic Movement.

Uche said his presence in court was to ensure INEC’s compliance with the Wednesday’s order of the tribunal.

At about the time the five-man panel was to recede to chambers to write a ruling in respect of PDM’s petition, Uche informed the bench of his intention in court on Thursday.

In reaction, Justice Garba asked for update from INEC’s lawyer, Yunus Usman (SAN).

Replying, Usman informed the tribunal that the “documents had been substantially produced.

“It is a very tedious task, but we have to obey the court’s order,” he stated.

Within the period of the one-hour break observed by the members of the tribunal, INEC officials had brought in a total of 55 boxes of documents into the court room.

When the tribunal resumed sitting, INEC’s lawyer informed the panel that the order of the court had been complied with.

Pointing to the cartons of documents lined up in the courtroom, Usman said since the order of court was not for INEC officials on whom the subpoenas were earlier served to testify, the Director of Legal Services, Mrs Oluwatoyin Babalola, was present to represent the commission.

He also said there was a cover letter signed by the secretary to INEC, Mrs. Rose Orianran-Anthony, accompanying the documents.

He noted that the request by the petitioners for result sheets for the national assembly rerun election in Zamfara State were not available as no such election was conducted.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: