Dr Tony Dansu, Secretary of LASU Chapter, said on Friday in Lagos that the development was as a result of the suspension of the three-month strike embarked upon by the union since Nov. 4, 2018.
NAN reports that ASUU had on Thursday, Feb. 7, suspended the over three months strike following a “palatable agreement” it reached with the Federal Government.
The union’s demands include: a shortfall in salaries of some Federal Universities’ workers and lecturers, unpaid Earned Academic Allowances and the revitalisation of projects that were part of the 2009 agreement among others.
“We have called a congress for Monday by 11 a.m. and we shall officially inform our members to resume work at the congress.
“Academic activities will commence on Monday immediately after the congress,” the union leader said.
Meanwhile, Prof. Olanrewaju Fagbohun, the Vice-Chancellor of LASU, has in a statement, welcomed students of the institution back from the ASUU nationwide strike that paralysed academic activities in most public universities in Nigeria.
Fagbohun said academic activities for the ongoing session in the university resumes immediately as the semester and session had been overstretched.
“This explains why we all must fully work together to get the LASU academic calendar back on track.
“We urge our world-class students to earnestly do what is expected of them in the areas of course registration and payment of school fees.
“Also in preparation for examination as we cannot afford to further drag our academic calendar,” Fagbohun said.
He appreciated the unwavering commitment and selfless service of the university workforce to the LASU project.
The vice-chancellor said the university was looking up to its staff in every department, unit, faculty, directorate and centre to provide leadership and work towards ensuring that all academic and administrative activities hit top gear immediately.
“At this time, very distinguished colleagues, LASU needs us to once again rise to the occasion and show unprecedented efficiency and effectiveness.
“The LASU story has never been about easy starts or luxurious journeys.
“Our history has been that of a university community, blessed with hard working staff and creative students who are capable of turning even the most unlikely situations around.
“We are a community that has emerged stronger from our challenging times and we are now building a prosperous and peaceful university,” he added.
Fagbohun also urged members of the university community to collectively push the frontiers, stand up for the ideals of its founding fathers and ensure that no bottleneck is allowed to draw the institution back in any form.
2019 UTME: JAMB speaks on when results will be released
JAMB’s Head of Information, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, said the board discovered that some candidates who wrote the examination engaged in massive fraud and impersonation, putting their results in doubt.
Benjamin stated this in an interview in Abuja, on Wednesday.
He said the board had started screening the results of all the candidates who wrote the examination and would release them as soon as it finished the exercise.
Benjamin said: “We will not release the results in a hurry. We will do a lot of crosschecking and matchmaking to be sure that nobody that was engaged in illicit act go scot free.
“We will release the results as soon as we finish checking the results to ensure that all those ones that we caught in various illicit registration acts are properly dealt with and those that we could not arrest are withheld.
“We will release the results when we finish doing our screening. We are screening the whole results.
“We don’t have the numbers now but we won’t release any result until we are sure of the whole thing.”
Benjamin also said the board was investigating cases of biometric verification failure in some states.
He assured that the board would do the needful once it finished its investigation and found the reported cases to be genuine.
“We will not be able to say genuine now until we do our due diligence. We are investigating because I told you that we have cases of illicit registration and we discovered that some of them created some scene when they discovered that their time for the exams clashed and they could not write the exam.
“We are giving everybody the benefit of doubt. We will look at all the perimeters and ensure that no one whose case is actually genuine suffers injustice.
“When we finish our exams we will be able to look at the whole thing (biometric issues),” he added.
10 LASPOTECH officials arrested over alleged attempted murder
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered that the LASPOTECH unionists were arrested for molesting JAMB examiners conducting UTME on the campus.
Spokesman for Lagos Police Command, DSP Bala Elkana, confirmed the arrest to NAN on Tuesday, saying that the suspects were undergoing interrogation at Special Investigation Bureau of the command.
Elkana said the suspests were arrested for an alleged attempt to murder some JAMB officials who were carrying out official duties at the institution.
However, the police spokesman did not explain how the unionists attempted to kill the JAMB officials.
“They are undergoing interrogation at the headquarters for attempted murder. They will be charged to court as soon as investigation was concluded,” he said.
LASPOTECH Spokesman, Olanrewaju Kuye, who also confirmed the arrest, told NAN that the affected staff were arrested over alleged molestation of two JAMB staff on official duty on the campus.
He said that the matter was reported by JAMB to the police for investigation.
“The molested JAMB officials reported to the police.
“ The Polytechnic management only apologised to JAMB when we heard of it because we have not been allowed into our offices by the striking unions since January.
“Since we are not on ground, we cannot really ascertain what happened, but would only depend on the report from the investigation of the police.
“It is now a case of the police, JAMB versus the union and not the management,” he said.
The spokesman said the incident was an embarrassment and loss to the institution as JAMB immediately relocated its CBT centre from the polytechnic to another venue.
JAMB speaks on UTME results, suspension of Computer Based Test (CBT) centres, others
Dr Fabian Benjamin, the board’s Head of Media and Publicity, disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Bwari.
He said that as of April 13, over 1.2 million have successfully written the examination scheduled to end April 17.
NAN reports that over 1.8 million candidates are expected to sit for the board’s UTME that commenced nationwide on April 11.
Benjamin said the process of the examination has so far been successful, adding that the board was addressing some of the challenges that came up during the exercise.
He also said that the board was still investigating those who were unable to be verified through its biometric process and would come out with a stand on the matter.
Speaking also on the issue of results, Benjamin said that no results have been released yet.
He explained that the board was still screening the results as the examination was ongoing and also because more fraudulent activities were being identified in the process.
He said: “We have to keep screening these results because there are lots of issues we discovered like multiple registrations, impersonation and the likes, so we are still fishing them out.
“Some have been arrested and those yet to be arrested, we have their records, we will fish then out. However, candidates should expect their results very soon.”
He added that the board’s suspension of some Computer Based Test (CBT) centres nationwide has not affected the candidates.
Benjamin explained that adequate examination centres was provided to all who registered for the examination.
The board in its weekly Bulletin of the Office of the Registrar for April 15 said that it uncovered and arrested ‘Professional Examination Writers’ who writes examination for candidates for a fee.
According to the bulletin, 50 of such fraudulent persons were apprehended in centres across the country as a result of various intelligence gathering.
The bulletin also said that the board suspended 49 CBT centres from participating in the ongoing exercise.
The suspended centres which are spread across the country were suspended for failing to live up to expectations in ensuring a seamless examination.
30 of the exam centres were suspended during the start of the exam on April 11, while the other 19 were blacklisted during the registration exercise; 10 of the centres are located in the FCT.
Hausa3 days ago
Shin an samar da tsaro a hanyar Abuja zuwa Kaduna? – BBC Hausa
Crime3 days ago
REVEALED: Full Names Of The 23 Nigerians To Be Executed In Saudi Arabia
News3 days ago
Presidential election: How Atiku planned to destabilise Nigeria through Onnoghen – Buhari’s aide
Law2 days ago
Delta CJ frees prison inmate who allegedly stole banana
Hausa2 days ago
Yadda Rikicin Boko Haram Ya Shafi Harkokin Kasuwanci
Hausa2 days ago
Zamfara: Shin kashe-kashen gilla karuwa yake a Najeriya?
News2 days ago
EPL: Highest goalscorers in the Premier League after Week 34 [See top 20]
Arewa3 days ago
Boko Haram kills seven soldiers in Chad