Connect with us

News

Senate renews strength to tackle Presidency over Magu

Published

on



Senate Spokesman, Sabi Abdullahi has said, no nominee from the presidency would be confirmed by the Senate as long as Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu remains in office.

Briefing Senate Press Corps on Thursday, he said, Senate’s rejection of Magu had been strengthened by a court judgement which affirmed the powers of Senate in confirmation of Presidential nominees.

The Court judgement documents made available to journalists showed that, a private citizen, Mr. Oluwatosin Ojaomo in a 20 paragraph affidavit sought a declaratory order of the court to determine if the Senate had powers to confirm Mr. Ibrahim Magu as Chairman of the EFCC.

The plaintiff (Ojaomo)’s move was at the instance of Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osibanjo’s earlier statement that Magu’s confirmation might not need to pass through the Senate.

Osibanjo, a professor of Law drew inspiration from Femi Falana (SAN)’s position that Ibrahim Magu needed not to go through Senate if Mr. President has decided to appoint him. He cited provisions of the Constitution, 1999 as amended to substantiate his point.

In the suit, Hon. Justice J.T. Tsoho relied heavily on statutory provisions of EFCC Act in section 2(3) which states inter alia: “the Chairman and members of the Commission other ex-officio members shall be appointed by the President and the appointment shall be be subject to confirmation of the Senate.”

“Accordingly, the import of section 2(3) of the EFCC Act is that the appointment of a Chairman made by the President is dependent on confirmation by the Senate”, the document indicated.

Senate’s rejection of Magu was due to a security report from the Department of State Security Services indicting him for corruption.

The EFCC acting Chairman was rejected twice, first in December, 2016 and March, 2017. He was invited to face Senate Committee of the whole, rather than facing standing Committee on EFCC and Anti-corruption headed by Senator Chukwuka Utazi (PDP) representing Enugu North Senatorial district.

The development was interpreted by political analysts as being predetermined for a rejection.

Though Senate has guiding rules of inviting nominees to face its standing Committees or Committee of the whole, it has never been recorded that nominees of Presidents as heads of Parastatals faced Committee of the whole without firstly passing through the standing Committees.

Sabi insisted that the removal of Magu will be the sole condition for confirmation of other nominees from the presidency, adding that there were enough people in the country that could serve in his capacity.

“Nigerians are well over 180 million and when Magu is removed, others would fill his position and this is how the hierarchy of government agency is structured”, he insisted.





Source link

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Lagos: Police nab ‘One Million’ boys during initiation, recover charms

Published

on

The statement reads, “The suspects were arrested at No.15 Alado Street, Shibiri, where they were being initiated into the cult group by one Yusuf Abu, who is 20 years old.

“Those arrested are Sunday Gabriel ‘m’ aged 20 year, Rilwan Dauda ‘m’ 18 years, Mohammed Sikiru 23 years, Oladimeji Abayomi ‘m’ aged 18 years, Rasheed Alabi ‘m’ aged 20 years, Habeeb Idowu ‘m’ aged 18 years, Olaiya Bisola ‘f’ aged 18 years, and Hazzan Hawawu ‘f’ aged 19 years.

“Three cutlasses, a calabash with charms and weed suspected to be hemp were recovered from them.

“Suspects were charged to court and remanded in prison custody.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Ekweremadu: MASSOB condemns IPOB’s action, apologizes to Senator

Published

on

The Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) has condemned the attack on former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu in Germany by members of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.

Ekweremadu was attacked in Germany where he had gone to deliver a speech at an annual Igbo festival.

MASSOB, in a statement on Sunday by Comrade Edeson Samuel its National Director of Information, said it condemns in its totality “the assault, physical attack and disrespectful actions of some Igbos against Senator Ike Ekweremadu in Germany which we later confirmed as members of IPOB in Germany through the affirmation of IPOB’s spokesman, Emma Powerful.”

Edeson said it was disheartening that some groups had turned the non-violent struggle for the actualization of Biafra state into an abusive and systematic gestapo against the supposed citizens of Biafra.

He added that “The physical attack on Ike Ekweremadu by IPOB is not commendable. Igbo culture abhors disrespect on elders and persons in authoritative positions.

“If Ike Ekweremadu is sabotaging or has sabotaged Biafra struggle as alleged by IPOB, what meaningful and acceptable steps has IPOB taken to draw the attention of Ike Ekweremadu to the alleged degradation?

“MASSOB as a leading figure of current Biafra agitation advises other pro Biafra groups, including IPOB that Igbo political leaders are not the major obstacle to our chances of achieving independence from Nigeria state, the major hurdles militating against the freedom of Biafra people from Nigeria is non cohesion and brotherhood among the leaders of leading pro Biafra groups.

“The tendency of superiority complex on ideology and the spirit of lordship over others are the detrimental tendencies grossly affecting the freedom of Biafrans.

“Ike Ekweremadu and other perceived and alleged enemies of Biafra are not our major obstacle against Biafra. IPOB can never actualize Biafra alone, neither MASSOB, LNC, BNC, BIM and others operating individually can achieve Biafra alone.

“Biafra will be more achievable when a strong coalition of MASSOB, IPOB, Lower Niger Congress, BNC, BIM and others from Niger Delta regions are established under a collegiate leadership.

“The tendency of grooming authoritarian leadership under any guise in Igbo land and Biafra in general will never be tolerated because the republican nature of Igbo man does not allow such authoritative and empirical rulership.”

“MASSOB also condemns the directives to attack the governors of southeast; consciously attacking a governor will never give us Biafra but will continue sending our youths to untimely deaths because every attack on a governor will attract the trigger happy Hausa Fulani security agents in Igbo land to open fire on our defenceless youths. Tomorrow, they will say governors ordered the killings of IPOB members.

“MASSOB also apologizes to Chief Ike Ekweremadu for the physical assault on his person. We admonish Senator Ike Ekweremadu to absolve the assault as a family affair between a father and his children. Hausa Fulanis and other enemies of Ndigbo are happy but we must shame them when they see you in a cordial relationship with your people.

“MASSOB calls and extends a hand of fellowship to IPOB led by Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, BIM led by Chief Ralph Uwazuruike, BNC led Alhaji Dokubo Asari and other pro Biafra groups to rally together in the true spirit of Biafra and defend Biafra land from the Fulani invaders and marauders.

“The era of propaganda and talking on radio / newspaper has gone, people’s opinions on social media will never give us Biafra. Let’s unite and confront our common enemy. Though our governors and other leaders are not assisting the Biafra struggle, we can engage them traditionally, not insulting them,” Edeson further stated.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Govt reacts as flood displaces 500 families in Jigawa

Published

on

No fewer than 500 families have been rendered homeless by different flood disasters in three local government areas of Jigawa state.

Governor Badaru Abubakar, represented by his Deputy Alhaji Umar Namadi, stated this during a sympathy visit to the Internally Displaced Person (IDPs) camps in the affected areas.

DAILY POST reported that three local governments including Guri, Miga and Kaugama local government areas were recently hit by flood disaster destroying hundreds of houses, farmlands and property worth millions of Naira.

The Deputy Governor said the state government is doing its best to bring emergency assistance to the victims and provide lasting solution to problems.

He stated that state government is looking at the possibilities of relocating some of the entire communities to areas that are not prone to flooding, to prevent the yearly occurrence of the disaster.

Namadi however directed the state emergency relief management agency to provides relief materials to those in IDPs camps and those living with their relatives.

He added that the state government would consider sending a supplementary budget to the State House of Assembly if the needs arises to support floods victims across the state.

In his remarks, the executive secretary Jigawa State Emergency Management Agency, Yusuf Sani said the agency is now working to assess the level of the damage for government intervention.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: