Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Nobel laureate and activist, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari is in a trance. Soyinka said this while reacting to a question on the three things he would tell the President if he meets him, saying one of them is that he will tell Mr. President that he is in a trance for failing to lead the country on the right path.
2. President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday met with former head of state, Abdulsalam Abubakar (Rtd) at the Presidential Villa in Abuja. Buhari immediately after his meeting with Abdusalam joined the national leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu and Chief Bisi Akande in another meeting. Details of both meetings have not been made public yet.
3. Report says Police in Ugep, Yakurr local government area of Cross River State Tuesday shot a councillorship aspirant of the All Progressives Congress (APC) dead in Ugep.
Trouble started when some Itighidi youths attempted to burn down the Police station in the area over the alleged arrest of their kinsmen.
4. The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has closed registration for the 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). This was confirmed in a statement signed by the board’s spokesman, Fabian Benjamin, on Tuesday. He said candidates who paid and obtained pins but had not been able to register, have 24 hours to complete their registration.
5. Over 30 herdsmen reportedly invaded the Akure South Local government Secretariat on Tuesday brandishing different dangerous weapons. The invasion of the herders disrupted the official activities at the council secretariat including marriage ceremonies going on at the council’s registry. Staff of the council were driven out of their offices one by one by the herders who allegedly threatened to kill anyone who looked into their eyes.
6. Five armed gunmen on Tuesday morning kidnapped a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Musa Danbaba Saya-Saya in Kaduna State. It was learnt that the gunmen stormed Saya-Saya village in Ikara Local Government area of Kaduna State at about 1.00am and forced their way into his residence.
7. A National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, has described his appointment by President Muhammadu Buhari as head of the APC reconciliation committee as a very strong political challenge. Speaking after his meeting with President Buhari on Tuesday, Tinubu said his party would be victorious in 2015.
8. Reno Omokri, former aide to ex-president Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday accused Bola Tinubu, national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), of being a double-faced person. Omokri stated that Tinubu who described former president Olusegun Obasanjo as a retiree once begged the ex-president to support the APC during the 2015 election.
9. The Benue State police command has arrested one suspect at Ayilamo, Logo Local Government Area in connection with the killing of a police officer in the state. The state Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, parading the suspect in Makurdi said one of the suspects was killed during the arrest.
10. Report says twelve Fulani herdsmen have been reportedly killed while fourteen others are currently missing in Oyo State, after an attack by suspected local farmers at Okere near Iseyin in Iseyin local government area of the state. The chairman of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) Oyo state chapter, Yaqub Bello disclosed this to newsmen in the state on Tuesday.