Connect with us

News

Ekiti community locks monarch out of palace

Published

on

The Ekiti State government has intervened in the crisis rocking Odo Ora in Ido/Osi Local Government Area where indigenes locked their monarch out of his palace.

The Deputy Governor, Otunba Bisi Egbeyemi, during a peace meeting held in his office on Wednesday, condemned the violence that recently rocked the community.

According to statement by his Special Assistant (Media) to the Deputy Governor, Odunayo Ogunmola, Egbeyemi warned that the full weight of the law would be visited on individuals fomenting trouble in Odo Ora.

The Obalemo of Odo Ora, Oba Samuel Akinola Adeyemo, told the deputy governor that he had been locked out of the palace by suspected hoodlums allegedly mobilized by some interest groups in the community.

The monarch, who forwarded a Save My Soul petition to the state government on the crisis, also revealed that palm fronds were tied at the gate of the palace to prevent him from occupying the building.

The kingmakers and other community leaders alleged that the procedure that produced the monarch was faulty and that he was not formally installed.

Egbeyemi said that government had to summon the peace meeting following intelligence report from security agencies of possible outbreak of violence over the kingship crisis.

The deputy governor warned stakeholders in Odo Ora to maintain peace, stressing that government won’t depose any monarch in the state.

He advised Odo Ora indigenes, who are aggrieved with the emergence of Oba Adeyemo as the Obalemo, to seek redress in the court of law.

Egbeyemi said: “Security report revealed that there is likely to be outbreak of violence in Odo Ora. I don’t want anybody to disturb or attack Kabiyesi.

“If there is outbreak of violence, all culprits will be arrested and prosecuted. Let there be peace in your community.”

One of the community leaders, Prof. Olawumi Ajaja, said Odo Ora indigenes had nothing against the person of the embattled monarch but against the process that produced him.

Ajaja, former Rector of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti, said the locals still see the monarch as an Oba-elect, alleging that traditional rites were yet to be performed.

The deputy governor urged parties in the crisis to report back to his office on February 21 for a follow-up peace parley in a bid to resolve the impasse.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Siasia Life Ban: Nigeria Football Federation Comes To Ex-Super Eagles Coach’s Rescue

Published

on



The Nigeria Football Federation says it is reviewing the life ban imposed on Samson Siasia by the world football governing body, FIFA, while waiting to take action after seeking legal advice.

FIFA had on Friday announced the ban of Siasia, former Super Eagles coach, from any footballing activities both national and international after being found guilty of bribery and match-fixing.

The NFF described the life ban as a “massive sanction”, adding that it is shocked by the decision of the FIFA Ethics Committee.

Acting President of NFF, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi, in a statement, said, “The NFF was shocked to learn of the investigation and the subsequent decision by the FIFA Ethics Committee (Adjudicatory Chamber) placing a life ban on Mr. Samson Siasia. But we have, however, now received documents, including one known as the ‘motivated decision’, and we have handed them to our lawyers to study and provide legal advice to the Federation.






“It is a massive sanction on one of our legends. Siasia is a football legend but most importantly he is a Nigerian. We must, therefore, be interested in the matter and be properly advised.”

He added, “While we respect the FIFA processes and appreciate that an investigation was conducted prior to the decision, the least we as a Federation can do is empathize with him at this time, make ourselves available to him and hope that in some way he is able to clear his name as he has promised to do.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Law

Sen. Abbo’s trial: What happened in court on Tuesday

Published

on

The trial of a Senator, Elisha Abbo, who allegedly assaulted a nursing mother, was on Tuesday stalled in a Zuba Chief Magistrates’ Court in Abuja.

At the resumed hearing, the police prosecution counsel, Mr James Idachaba told the court that the defendant was not in court.

Idachaba told the court that he was ready to open his case against the defendant and all his witnesses were in court.

However, Mr Adegbite Adeniyi, counsel to Abbo, told the court that his client was sick.

”My Lord my client is suffering from Acute Febrile (medical term used to describe a sudden fever or elevation in body temperature)”, he said.

Adeniyi, who presented a medical report to the court, added that Abbo was on admission at a hospital in Yola, Adamawa State.

He, however, told the court that his client’s surety was in court.

He explained that the prosecution served him with the proof of evidence in the morning in court.

Adeniyi prayed the court to grant him an adjournment to put his house in other.

However, the prosecution did not oppose the oral application made by Abbo’s counsel.

The Magistrate, Abdullahi Ilelah adjourned the case until Sept. 24 for hearing.

NAN reports that Abbo, who represents Adamawa North senatorial zone, was arraigned on July 8 for allegedly assaulting a nursing mother, Mrs Warmate Osimibibra.

The prosecution alleged that the Senator committed the offence on May 11 at Pleasure Chest Shop FA 45 Located at Bannex Plaza Aminu Kano Crescent Wuse II Abuja.

He also alleged that Abbo slapped the complainant severally on her face and forcefully dragged her shirt without provocation.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Kogi govt detaining APC delegates in BIR

Published

on

Coordinator of Usman Jibrin Campaign Organisation in Lokoja, the Kogi State capital, Alhaji Nagogo Maiyaki has disclosed on Tuesday that some delegates of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) have been detained in Kogi State Board of Internal Revenue in Lokoja.

He made the disclosure at a political gathering while hosting the gubernatorial aspirant and former Chief of Naval Staff, Jibrin Usman in Lokoja.

Maiyaki explained that intimidation and harassment of party executives who were perceived not to be loyal to the governor have been heightened ahead of August 29 primaries.

“As I speak, some of our delegates have been detained at the Board of Internal Revenue in Lokoja.

“Yesterday, when I was going round to mobilise party executive for this event, I was informed that some of them were tricked to BIR and have been detained there.”

In an interview after the event, the party chieftain said, the governor did not want any gubernatorial aspirant to access the APC party Executive before the primaries.

He called on security agents to ensure the protection of party delegates and members, adding that it would be a shame for the party to keep losing members simply because they want to exercise their franchise.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: