Connect with us

Education

Zamfara: Only 28 candidates register for common entrance exam as FG extends deadline

The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, on Wednesday, said the Federal Government was worried about the low number of candidates seeking admission into its 104 colleges.

The minister, in a statement by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Education, Mrs. Priscillia Ihuoma, disclosed that only 28 candidates from Zamfara State registered for the 2018 National Common Entrance Examination.

Adamu stated that a directive had been given to leave the portal open for registration until April 13.

He added that the report of a stakeholders’ meeting held recently indicated that Taraba, Kebbi and Zamfara States had the lowest number of candidates who registered for the entrance examination. While Taraba had 95 candidates, Kebbi had 50.

“Ahead of the 2018 National Common Entrance Examination for admission of candidates into the 104 Federal Government colleges on Saturday, April 14, the minister has expressed worry over low registration for the examination so far,” the statement read.

“According to him, the report of a meeting of major stakeholders in the education sector said candidates registered in 2018 stood at 71,294 as against 80,421 that wrote the examination in 2017.

“The report further shows three states with the highest number of pupils registered so far are: Lagos with 24,465 candidates, the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, with 7,699 and Rivers State with 4,810 candidates respectively.

“On the other hand, three states with extreme low registration are: Zamfara with only 28 candidates, Kebbi, 50 and Taraba, 95 candidates respectively.”

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Two die as LAUTECH students involve in motor accident

No fewer than two students of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso on Tuesday lost their lives during a road accident that occurred in Ogbomoso.

DAILY POST gathered that five of the students of the institution were involved in the accident that occurred along Aroje road, opposite Bovas Petroleum station, Ogbomoso.

Those who were involved included two of the students identified as Seun also known as Young Prof in 400 level and Dr. Sleem, a 400 level student.

The duo died on the spot.

Others were a 400 level student identified as, Hon. Yusluv, another student identified as Yunus, who is in 500 level and Mayor Timmy [Graduating class].

DAILY POST gathered that Yunus is still in a state of comma in the hospital while other remaining students are receiving treatments at the hospital.

The institution, while confirming the death of the students, described it as devastating.

LAUTECH Vice-Chancellor, Professor Michael Olufisayo Ologunde, while speaking, prayed to God to give the entire University community the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.

The VC in a statement said that he was personally involved in the efforts at rescuing the students.

Ologunde in his reaction said, “Vice- Chancellor, LAUTECH, Ogbomoso, Professor Michael Olufisayo Ologunde, has described has devastating, the death of some students of the Institution in an early morning auto accident around Aroje area of the city.

“Professor Ologunde, who was personally involved in efforts at recovering the remains of the dead students, prayed that the Lord repose their souls and grant their parents and the entire University community the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.

“He has also directed that the University ambulance be deployed to the scene to convey their remains, ordering functionaries to abandon whatever other duties to ensure that the corpses are recovered for necessary steps ahead of their burial.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Education

N250,000 tuition: ‘Reduce or resign” now – Ondo undergraduates tell Gov. Akeredolu in protest

Students of the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko, AAUA, and their counterparts from the Ondo State University of Science and Technology, OSUSTECH, Okitipupa, on Tuesday, converged on Akure, the Ondo State capital, to press home their demand for the reduction of their tuition.

The students, who barricaded the popular Oba Adesida road in Akure metropolis, partially disrupted commercial activities during the protest.

In their agitation, the students demanded that the Governor of the state, Olawarotimi Akeredolu, should either reduce what they termed as outrageous tuition or resign.

Recall that the two institutions had been shut since April following series of protests by students over the “outrageous” fees and the “No fees/No Test-Examination” policy introduced by the institutions’ managements.

During the protest, vehicular movement and commercial activities were paralysed for hours as commuters were forced to trek to their destination.

While the blockade of the road was on, placards of various inscriptions were displayed as some of them chanted series of solidarity songs.

Some of the placards read, “Akeredolu Reduce or Resign;” “No Reduction, No Resumption”; Education Must Be Free”; “Say No To N250,000.”

The Students’ Union President, AAUA, Samuel Adesomoju, vowed that protest would continue until Gov. Akeredolu reduces the fees.

According to him, “We are here to make our demand known once again.

“We are telling Gov Akeredolu that our school fees must be reduced now because there will be no resumption if the fees are not reduced.

“It is our right to have education, but the governor is gradually taking it away from us with his policies.

“If the governor wants to generate revenue, he should look elsewhere not our schools.”

Adesomoju added that, “We are sending him a clear message today that, we will not leave this road until he reduce the fees and he should not have in mind to open the schools without reduction. We are going to resist it.

“You can see we are here but not the governor’s office because he (Akeredolu) has said he will flush us out if we dare protest.”

Addressing the protesting students in his palace, the Deji of Akure, Oba Aladetoyinbo commended the students for conducting themselves in a peaceful manner during their demonstration.

The monarch, who spoke through his Chief of Staff, Prince Toyin Aladetoyinbo, assured the students that he would communicate their grievances to the governor.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Education

BREAKING: Bill seeking the end of HND, B.Sc dichotomy passed

The House of Representatives, Tuesday passed a bill which put to an end the controversial dichotomy between Polytechnic Higher National Diploma and the Bachelor of Science degree awarded by the Nigerian universities.

This development was sequel to an adopted bill sponsored by Ali Isa and Edward Pwajok from Gombe and Plateau States respectively passed for second reading since April 2017.

The bill also seeks to end perceived discrimination against polytechnic graduates and remove the problems being faced by HND holders, especially those in the public service.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: