Speaking during a courtesy call on the Deputy Governor, Philip Shuaibu at the Government House in Benin City, Chargé Young hailed the state’s anti-trafficking model and pledged the U.S. Mission’s commitment to expanding the scope of its collaboration.
“We are pleased with the important progress that has been made to combat trafficking in persons in Edo State, through the Three Ps: Prevention, Protection and Prosecution of those individuals involved in human trafficking.
“This is one of the issues the U.S. government is focused on, as it is a horrific crime and we recognize its long-term effects on people who are trafficked to other countries,” Chargé Young said.
At the palace of the Oba of Benin, where he had an audience with Oba Ewuare II, Chargé Young emphasized the pivotal role of traditional institutions in eliminating the scourge of human smuggling.
He lauded the monarch’s leadership and direct involvement in the crusade to end trafficking in the state.
“We note that the Benin monarchy has taken the lead in statewide efforts to prevent young people from being trafficked.
“Survivors with whom we have interacted confirm that the King’s nullification last year of all oaths sworn by trafficking victims had a remarkable impact, by neutralizing the psychological hold of the trafficking syndicates and encouraging survivors to return home.
“This, in addition to the laudable efforts of the Oba Ewuare II Foundation, continues to bring freedom to many,” he noted.
I’m not scared of kidnappers – Senate Deputy Majority Leader speaks on running from constituency
Reacting to a media report suggesting that he no longer visit or travel to his constituency, the lawmaker said he has been regular to his hometown in Ondo State now than before.
“The said media report is utterly misleading as it did not reflect the crux, essence and meaning of what I said when I visited the Akure residence of Pa Reuben Fasoranti whose daughter was killed by gunmen.
“The misleading report seems more like offside interpretation and off-key inference.”
Speaking with DAILY POST in Abuja, he said he has scheduled programmes in his home this weekend, while promised to honour all.
“I visited my hometown recently and I will visit my hometown by this weekend and next week to attend scheduled political engagements and community activities”.
“The suggestion that I can no longer travel to my hometown does not represent the truth.”
Meanwhile, it should be noted that when Senator Ajayi Boroffice spoke with reporters in Akure, he emphasized the enormity of security challenges and made reference to a spot near Oba Akoko which is said to be regular operational base of gunmen.
During the engagement with reporters, the senator also said government will find sustainable solutions to the menace.
He called for synergy among security agencies and advised security agencies to work closely with space agencies to ensure accurate mapping of possible locations and hideouts of criminals in Ondo State and Nigeria in general.
Nigeria Immigration to capture foreign Fulani in migrant e-registration
Speaking in Calabar during breakfast meeting with newsmen on Monday, he said, “Fulani who are non-Nigerian and other entities who are not Nigerians, but residing in Nigeria will be captured”.
Ezugwu said the Service began e-registration of all migrants in the entire 18 local government areas of Cross River State, explaining that the e-registration was not to find out “Whether the person has a mission or not but to know that he or she is here”.
The Comptroller said the profiling of migrants was even more imperative because Cross River State, being a border state, was a haven for foreigners.
“We are commencing the registration of migrants in all the eighteen local government areas of the state. Every migrant must be captured and profiled so that we can be held responsible. It helps in planning and enhances our productivity, securitywise.
“Cross River State occupies a strategic place when it comes to boundary issues. Our peculiar situation makes it imperative to account for every foreigner in the state,” the Comptroller said.
Ezugwu however said that: “The essence of profiling is not to find out whether he or she (immigrant) has a mission or not, but to know that such person is here. It is not a medium to find out who has overstayed or find out one’s status, but to know where you are.”
He pointed out that there were two categories of immigrants: those who were required to register and those who were exempted from registering.
“There are two categories of immigrants: those who are expected to register and those who are exempted from registration. Those who are to register include visitors staying for more than ninety days; residents who are non-Nigerians and ECOWAS Nationals.
“Those who are exempted are: persons under the age of 18; persons enjoying diplomatic immunity and immigrants staying in Nigeria for less than ninety days,” he said.
Ezugwu maintained that registration was free and appealed to landlords in the state to assist in identifying foreigners living in their houses in order for the registration to succeed.
Sagay calls Obasanjo “childish” over letter to Buhari
Obasanjo in the letter released by his media aide, Kehinde Akinyemi, had expressed worry over high level of insecurity in the country.
Sagay, speaking to the Nation, however, agreed with the points raised in it.
“As far as I’m concerned, Obasanjo’s main motive is publicity, the capacity to embarrass the President, and for adulation.
“He sustains a mentality of being superintendent-general of Nigeria and not accepting that he is no longer in power. It’s all part of it.
“What he said could have easily been communicated by phone; the letter could have been delivered privately. I find writing it to the whole country immature and childish. He made a serious point, and then spoilt it by the way he presented it.
“If he had said it quietly to the President, it would have been acceptable. Is he not embarrassed that he’s the only former president doing it? Gowon and Abubakar are there, just to mention two. Even Jonathan, who was defeated by Buhari, is there. It’s too childish and immature. It takes away from the quality and the strength of the message he’s trying to deliver,” he said.
Sagay also urged Buhari to sustain efforts in tackling rising insecurity.
“Is the President not already doing that? Can he be the President and not be concerned? Already, the Vice President has spoken of steps being taken – that the roads are going to be heavily monitored by the Police and soldiers.
“I don’t disagree too much with Obasanjo on substance. It is his style that I disagree with, as well as the so-called conference of ethnic stakeholders. I don’t see its relevance. We’ve held so many other conferences out of which nothing came except mutual abuse and insults.
“I think what the President should do is to sustain a very vigorous onslaught and not rest until the bandits and insurgents are rooted out and Nigeria is made safe again.
“He is already doing it and he must sustain it so that we can be free of this menace to our freedom and peace of mind,” Sagay added.
Hausa3 days ago
‘Yadda bilicin ya lalata min jiki daf da aurena’ | BBC Hausa
Arewa2 days ago
Bandits, vigilante leaders agree deal
News3 days ago
Nigeria vs Algeria: Rohr sternly warns Super Eagles ahead of semi-final clash
Arewa3 days ago
Shiites: US govt issues strong warning to Americans in Nigeria
Business3 days ago
What Dana Airline did to its passengers at Abuja international airport
World News16 hours ago
Woman and three children killed as car and train collide at level crossing in France | World News
Crime3 days ago
NDLEA arrests two suspected drug dealers with 40kg of hard drugs in Kebbi
Crime3 days ago
OBJ speaks on killing of Afenifere leader’s daughter