Connect with us

Education

Unilorin nabs three suspects causing tension on campus

The University of Ilorin has disclosed that its security operatives have nabbed three suspected miscreants who have been terrorising the university community for some time now.

According to the University of Ilorin Bulletin issued on Monday, the arrest was made on Feb. 22 after the University Security Patrol Team raided the hoodlums while operating in one of the lecture rooms of the university.

The publication stated that the miscreants had since been handed over to the police, NAN reports.

Reacting to the development, the Sub-Dean, Student Affairs, Dr Alex Akanmu, said that the University community has been witnessing cases of robbery by miscreants for some weeks now.

“The miscreants have been coming through the back route of the University, especially at night, to attack students reading in the classrooms with the aim of stealing their belongings like phones, laptops and other valuables.

“The culprits were caught by the university security patrol team, stealing students’ property, barging into their lecture rooms with cutlasses to frighten them during their night classes.”

Akanmu assured the students of adequate security, adding that the gang members had been handed over to the police and that all the stolen property of the students had been recovered and returned the owners.

He praised the university’s efforts in improving security measures to ensure that lives and properties of members of the university community were adequately protected.

Akanmu said that measures were in place, such as the Off-Campus Hostel Management System (OHMS), which made it possible for students staying off campus to call the Student Affairs Unit or Security Office in case of any emergency and regular patrol by the university security operatives.

He advised students living off-campus to always report any harassment to the Student Affairs Unit.

Akanmu advised the university community members to be vigilant and not hesitate to provide vital information that would assist the unit and security personnel in ensuring that the university community was well protected.

“Let me remind students to be vigilant, be their brothers’ keepers and shouldn’t hesitate in providing relevant information that will expose the evil ones among them,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Akeredolu to rename Ondo University after Agagu

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu says Ondo State University of Science and Technology (OSUSTECH), will be renamed after late Olusegun Agagu, former governor of the state.

NAN reports that Akeredolu disclosed this during a tour of Okitipupa Local Government Area of the state on Tuesday.

He urged the two newly-elected House of Assembly members representing Okitipupa 1 and 2 constituencies to move the motion for renaming the university.

According to the Governor, it is a decision that can only be taken by the House of Assemby.

He urged them to move the motion as their first assignment.

“You know we have Adekunle Ajasin University in Akungba and it won’t be bad to have Olusegun Agagu University in Okitipupa.

“When we came on board, we noticed that the institution lacked infrastructure facilities, a good road network and other areas, which we looked into.

“The project would have been added to the museum of abandoned projects, hence the need for major upgrades,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Education

Success Adegor: Delta Government suspends headmistress of Sapele school which sent little girl home over exams levy

The Delta State Government has suspended the headmistress of Okotie-Eboh Primary School 1, Sapele Local Government of the state, Mrs. Vero Igbigwe.

She was suspended following the viral video where a little Success Adegor was sent home over her parents’ failure to pay her examination levies.

Igbigwe was suspended on Monday when the Commissioner for Education, Barr. Chiedu Ebie, visited the school.

The head teacher, according to the commissioner, could not explain the alleged illegal collection of examination levies from the school students.

A statement by the commissioner explained why primary and secondary education in Delta remained free.

Ebie also insisted the head teacher had no right to impose any levy.

He said: “In my brief encounter with the Head Teacher this morning, there appeared to be numerous inconsistencies in her response on this issue as she was unable to categorically state who authorized her to impose the levies or fees which is in clear breach of the extant rules.

“Consequently I have directed the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) to suspend the Head Teacher pending the outcome of a formal enquiry into the issue of unauthorised levies/ and fees imposed by her in the School.

“Having discovered the dilapidated state of the infrastructure in the Schools, steps were immediately taken by the State Government, through the Ministry of Basic & Secondary Education, to carry out a phased renovation and upgrade of the infrastructural facilities beginning with Okotie Eboh Primary School II.

“It is important to place on record and for the avoidance of doubt that the Contract of the first phase was awarded on the 29th of December, 2018 and work has since commenced.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Education

JAMB reveals how 2019 UTME will be conducted

Ahead of Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, Registrar, Joint Admission and Matriculations Board (JAMB), said the board has introduced new innovations for successful conduct of 2019 UTME.

NAN reports that Oloyede made this known in Abuja on Monday at the meeting of critical stakeholders on strategic planning and preparations for supervision and evaluation of administration of 2019 UTME slated to hold between April 11 and April 15.

He said a robust item backed with appropriate safeguard had been developed by moving toward open examination with one million questions per subject which would soon be effected.

“A separate indicator had also been created for the deaf (mute) to differentiate them for special attention at the examination centre. Efforts are on to provide option of special centres or mainstreaming for the blind.

“We now have live report on centres that registered any candidate, the time the candidate was registered, who registered the candidate, computer system used, the location of registration.

“All these are done through our enhanced monitoring system. I want to warn candidates expected to sit for its examination to ensure their biometrics were taken and verified or risk sitting for the examination,’’ he said.

He called on candidates to comply with the rules of engagement governing the registration and examination of the UTME.

According to him, biometric verification will be the only mode for admittance of candidates into the examination centres.

He added that increasing threat of identity fraud during the UTME before the advent of BVM necessitated its introduction for capturing the biometrics of candidates to counter fraud.

“Any candidate that cannot be verified by the Biometric Verification Mode (BVM) must not be allowed to take the examination under any guise.

“All candidates whose fingerprints could not be captured during registration from centres across the country were brought to JAMB Headquarters and were registered appropriately.

“In other words, exemption mode is not allowed for any candidate. Therefore, no biometric verification, no examination,” Oloyede warned.

The registrar added that the use of email/password would not be allowed by cyber cafe operators as it had now been classified as an offence for cyber cafe to ask for password before rendering services.

Oloyede said the board held an international round-table on cheating devices in December 2017 where various technology devices used for examination further said that Automated Teller Machine (ATM) was added to the list of prohibited items during its examinations.

He said other items prohibited are wristwatches, recorders, earpieces, mobile phones, Bluetooth devices, smart lenses, erasers, smart buttons and spy reading glasses, among others.

The registrar said the board had approved the use of 708 Computer Based Test (CBT) centres across the country for the conduct of the examination.

He noted that the names of impersonators in the last 10 years would soon be published to serve as deterrent to others, adding added that about 1.99 million candidates had registered for the examination.

He called on the candidates to ensure they comply with the rules and regulations of the examinations

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: