Osun NULGE chairman burnt dead in early morning fire
An early morning fire outbreak claimed the life of Chairman of the Nigerian Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE), Mr. Tajudeen Alabi in Ikire, Ayedaade Local Government Area of Osun State on Thursday
It was gathered that the local government administrator was burnt beyond recognition when the fire broke out as a result of power surge.
Alabi was said to have died immediately during the fire incident, while his belongings, worth millions of naira, were destroyed in the inferno that lasted hours.
A resident, who identified himself as Yinka, told newsmen that the inferno fire started around 1.00 am on Thursday, due to a power surge.
“We were all asleep when they brought light around 1.00 am [Thursday] morning. We heard people screaming and shouting for help. When we woke up, we discovered that it was a fire outbreak. Like a dream, several shops in the area were on fire. But the locked-up shops and the house of the government official who got burnt to death hindered us from getting close to the scene,” Alabi said.
“Initially, we thought it was something else, but when we saw smoke we forced the door of the house open after the boys in the area had poured water to quench the fire.”
“But before then, the deceased had already been burnt to death in the inferno,” the witness said.
Former Executive Secretary of the Ayedaade Local Government Area, Oduwole Iyanda, described the incident as unfortunate.
He said the late NULGE chairman was nice, loving and very jovial.