Connect with us

Education

Nigerian polytechnics Suspend two-month-old strike


The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) has called off its strike after two months.

Usman Dutse, ASUP National President, announced this at a media briefing held at the end of its National Executive Council (NEC) meeting in Abuja on Tuesday.

He noted that the decision was taken in view of the progress made in its discussions with Nigerian government.

He said: “We have hereby decided to suspend our two-month strike. This decision was taken at the end of our National Executive Council meeting. This is in view of the progress made in the course of the union’s negotiations with government.

“The NEC of the union, after exhaustive deliberations and in due consultations with the respective congresses across the nation, resolved to suspend the current industrial action.”

Dutse stated that the government had shown willingness to make funds available for disbursement by April 2019. He also added that N16.7billion has been released for the payment of salaries and allowances.

“A circular had also been released to all rectors conveying increased personnel funding for 2019 and directing the payment of full salaries and allowances in Polytechnics. It is expected that the funds shall be made available for disbursement to deserving institutions by April 2019. Equally, the approval of the NEEDS assessment report shall be pursued with all diligence to ensure a sustained and effective intervention in the infrastructure and other needs of our institutions,” he said.

Dutse noted that the union would not hesitate to resume the strike if the government fails to review the Memorandum of Action and ensure full implementation before end of May 2019.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Nigeria’s elections: NANS states position on Buhari’s threat to ballot snatchers

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has urged personnel of security agencies involved in the forthcoming general elections to ignore President Muhammadu Buhari’s order of extra-judicial killings for ballot box snatchers and work within the ambit of the law.

A statement by NANS’ National Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mr Bestman Okereafor, said: “The Electoral Act 2010, as amended, prohibits anyone from snatching electoral materials and committing other related offences during elections.

“Section 129 Sub-section (4) of the Electoral Act prescribes a maximum of two years imprisonment for offenders.

“Section 131 of the same act further states that anyone who uses force, threats, violence or restraint is liable on conviction to a fine of N1 million or imprisonment for a term of 3 years,” he said.

NANS spokesman said that the menace of ballot box snatching must be vehemently rejected, resisted and condemned by all well-meaning Nigerians.

“However, dealing with the menace should be done in the most civil manner in accordance with the provision of the law.”

According to him, doing so is in line with international best practices obtainable in any other civilised country of the world.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Education

JAMB registers over 1.6 million, confirms closing date for 2019 UTME registration

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says not less than 1.8 million candidates would be registered for its 2019 UTME by the end of the registration exercise scheduled for Feb. 21.

The Board’s Head, Media and Information, Dr Fabian Benjamin, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Lagos.

Benjamin expressed satisfaction with the ongoing registration exercise nationwide, adding that so far, it had been smooth with little or no hitches.

The registration of candidates for this year’s all Computer Based Test (CBT) Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), commenced on Feb. 10.

Meanwhile, an official bulletin of the board tagged ‘jambulletin’ issued on Sunday, said over 1.6 million candidates had registered for the examination between Feb. 10 and Feb. 15 nationwide, with Lagos recording the highest, with 234,259 candidates.

According to the bulletin, preparations for the successful conduct of the examination scheduled to commence few weeks from now is in top gear.

Also contained in the bulletin is the restatement of the unlikely extension of the registration deadline by the board.

“Candidates would commence the reprinting of their examination notification slips two weeks to the examination date.

“On the examination slip are candidates’ schedule for the examination, date, time and centre, as well as other necessary information about the examination.

“Two weeks to the commencement of the examination, candidates will have their slips placed on their profiles.

“However, in the event where candidates could not access their slip, such candidates can visit the board’s service portal,on www.jamb.org.ng to print the slip,” the bulletin stated.

It also said that messages would as well be sent to candidates, informing them on when to reprint their e-slip.

According to the bulletin, the processes are all automated to keep candidates abreast of developments, just as messages will be sent to all candidates informing them on when to print their e-slip.

The bulletin warned candidates against coming into the examination halls with prohibited items such as wrist watches, telephones and others.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Education

Postponed elections: Lagos govt orders schools to resume Monday

The Lagos State Government has asked all schools in the state to resume for academic activities on Monday, instead of Tuesday.

This followed the postponement of the general elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

A statement issued on Saturday by Mrs. Ronke Soyombo, Director General, Education Quality Assurance, said “I have the directive of Her Excellency, the Deputy Governor of Lagos State to inform all Lagos State school’s stakeholders and the general public that the state government has been compelled by the change in election dates to further review the 2018/19 school academic calendar as stated below:

“All schools resume Monday, 18th February, 2019, All schools in Lagos State are expected to close on the following dates: Friday 22nd of February and to resume on Monday, 25th February.

“The schools will also close on Friday, 8th March, 2019 and to resume on Monday, 11th March. All public and private schools, school leaders and school associations should take note and adhere strictly.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: