Connect with us

Arewa

NAF Buries Five Pilots Killed During Boko Haram Operations



The five officers of the Nigerian Air Force who died in the helicopter crash that occurred last Wednesday during counter-insurgency operations in Borno State have been buried.

The crew members were on board the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Mi-35M Helicopter which crashed while providing air support to troops of 145 Battalion, Damasak in Borno State.






The officers were buried at the National Military Cemetery in Abuja on Tuesday.

The officers are: Flight Lieutenant Perowei Jacob – Pilot in Command (aged 332; Flight Lieutenant Kaltho Paul Kilyofas – Co-Pilot (aged 29); Sergeant Auwal Ibrahim – Flight Technician (aged 31); Lance Corporal Adamu Nura – Gunner (aged 27), and Aircraftman Meshack Ishmael – Gunner (aged 25).

Service chiefs, serving and retired officers, as well as friends and family members were on ground to pay their last respects to the officers as they were buried.

They were buried with full military honours.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Arewa

Kaduna people protest over frequent kidnapping

Residents of some communities in Kaduna State, on Sunday protested the repeated kidnappings in their areas.

The residents of Nariya and Kanama communities blocked the Nnamdi Azikwe Expressway during the protest.

Speaking to DAILY POST, a resident of Nariya, Mr. Johanna lamented incessant cases of kidnapping since the last few months saying, “we are no longer safe in our homes.”

According to him, every week, they witness one kidnapping or the other, adding that kidnappers make huge demand of money from family of victims.

“In some cases, the victims lost their lives in the process.

“Just last week, a pregnant woman was kidnapped in Chokoliko village. Few hours later, another was kidnapped in Nassarawa village. They later made huge demand of money from family of their victims. As I am talking with you, the one kidnapped in Nassarawa is yet to return, because the family could not afford to pay the ransom. We couldn’t sleep in the night for fear of being kidnapped, we couldn’t stay out in the night or go far from home.” He added.

Another resident of Kunama community, Mrs. Iliya Bilkisu said her husband was kidnapped two months ago, but was released after ransom was paid.

“My husband was kidnapped right in the evening at the gate of our house when he was returning from work. He spent three weeks at the den of kidnappers. We even thought, they have killed him. He walked to the house one evening. We were surprised and happy to see him because we paid the money demanded, but they did not release him till after two weeks.”

She called on the law enforcement agencies to strengthen their operations in and around Kaduna to ensure that kidnappers were wiped out from the state.

DAILYPOST had on Saturday (yesterday) reported the killing of foreign female tourist and one other, while three others were kidnapped in Kajuru Castle Resort, in Kajuru local government.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Zamfara Gov. Reveals How Emir Of Zurmi Told Him To ‘Wipe Out’ Entire Village


Governor of Zamfara State, Abdulaziz Yari, has revealed how the Emir of Zurmi once asked him to “go and wipe out” Dumburum Village because it has been a hideout for bandits for over three years.

Yari said this while insisting that the government will not apologise over allegations by council chiefs in the state that villagers were killed during aerial bombardment of suspected bandit camps in Dumburum village, Zurmi Local Government Area of the state, by the Nigeria Air Force (NAF).

Speaking on Saturday receiving a seven-member investigative team on the matter at his private residence in Talata-Mafara, Yari maintained that the NAF had only targeted bandits.

“As far as I am concerned and as the head of government in the state, l haven’t seen anything wrong done by the Air Force; l haven’t received any brief on such matter,” he said.

“Dumburum has been a criminal hideout for over three years and the Emir of Zurmi has once asked me to go and wipe out the area saying all those residing there were bandits, so l am surprised that the Emir will be part of those saying innocent people were killed in an encounter in the area.

“Some people will stay in Abuja and fabricate things against the operations in Zamfara in order to distract the operation, this we must not allow.

“Please, all security agencies, especially the Air Force, should continue with your usual constitutional duties and the state government will give you all the support to facilitate your concentration in trying to bring back peace, which has eluded the state since 2007.

“You should continue with the firepower to show the criminals that there is a government in place and we won’t negotiate with them again because when we did that in the past; the leaders pretended as if all was well while they allowed their boys to continue to lay siege on the communities.”

Idi Lubo, leader of the investigative team, handed over a letter of condolence from Sadique Abubakar, the Chief of Air Staff, to Yari, and promised to “unravel the truth” about the killings.

“The chief of air staff has directed us to properly investigate the matter in order to unravel the truth,” he said.

“We have visited other stakeholders and discovered that there was misinformation which we have now resolved and wish to assure the people of the state that we shall continue to discharge our assigned responsibilities in protecting the innocent with professionalism.”

While in the state, the team also visited heads of security agencies, traditional rulers and government officials.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Boko Haram members arrested in Edo [PHOTO]

The Edo State Police Command has arrested four suspected members of Boko Haram sect.

Spokesman of the command, DSP Chidi Nwabuzor, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday.

He described the suspects as notorious gang members of kidnapping, armed robbery and Boko Haram syndicates that have been terrorizing Kogi and Edo States axis.

The statement said that coordinated intelligence collaboration between operatives of the Department of State SSecurity, DSS and the police, led to the arrest of the suspects.

It said: “Based on credible intelligence through the Department of the State Security (DSS) in conjunction with the office of the Inspector-General of Police, Edo State Police Command was alerted by the Inspector-General of Police that the above mentioned criminal elements are planning coordinated attacks against police formations in Edo State.

“The Commissioner of Police, Edo State Command, Dan-Mallam Mohammed, directed the tactical teams of the command to go after the criminals.

“On 19/04/2019, a robust raiding, coding and search was conducted within Auchi axis, which resulted in the arrest of the following: Salihu Uzovehe (23), Hadi Musa Gambari (23), Tijani Garuba (24) and Mohammed Abdulkadri (44), who are deadly and notorious gang members of kidnapping and armed robbery syndicates that are terrorising Kogi and Edo States axis.”

Items allegedly recovered from the suspects included an old carton-color Toyota Valet car with registration number AG-721-AGZ, one pump-action gun, two locally made guns, 20 live cartridges, a pair of police mobile force uniform, two face masks and charms.

“The command, therefore, appealed to members of the public to be vigilant and always be at alert about suspicious movement of persons and report same to the police,” the statement added.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: