Connect with us


Mass shooting at mosque in New Zealand – reports | World News

Police in New Zealand are hunting an “active” gunman amid reports of a mass shooting at a mosque in Christchurch.

Armed police have been deployed in the city centre, and all schools in the area have been placed on lockdown.

“A serious and evolving situation is occurring in Christchurch with an active shooter,” New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush said.

“Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high.”

The Bangladesh cricket team was heading to Friday prayers at the mosque, the Masjid Al Noor, when the shooting started, but all members are safe, a team coach told local media.

It is unclear how many people may have been injured, but one witness told the AP news agency that he heard dozens of gunshots.

Large parts of Christchurch are on lockdown amid reports of a mass shooting at a mosque

Large parts of Christchurch are on lockdown amid reports of a mass shooting at a mosque

Len Peneha said he saw a man dressed in black enter the Masjid Al Noor mosque – followed by people running from the building in terror.

He also claimed that he saw the gunman flee before emergency services arrived.

Police did not comment on whether the incident took place inside the mosque or nearby.

“Horrified to hear of Christchurch mosque shootings. There is never a justification for that sort of hatred,” said Amy Adams, a member of parliament from Christchurch.

The Masjid Al Noor in Christchurch. Pic: Google Street View

The Masjid Al Noor in Christchurch. Pic: Google Street View

The Bangladesh cricket team’s strength and conditioning coach, Mario Villavarayen, told the New Zealand Herald that the team was close to where the shooting occurred.

“The players are shaken up but fine, he was quoted as saying.

The team is currently in Christchurch to play New Zealand in a third cricket test starting on Saturday.

Mass shootings are a rare occurrence in New Zealand, with the last being in 1990 in the small seaside town of Aramoana where 13 people were killed as well as gunman David Gray.

Facebook Comments
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Bandits attack 3 LGAs in Katsina, murder 34

At least 34 persons have been reportedly murdered on Tuesday by suspected armed bandits in three Local Governments Areas of Batsari, Danmusa and Faskari in Katsina State.

Vanguard quoted locals as saying that 18 were killed in Yargamji, Batsari LGA, 5 killed in Mara Zamfarawa in Danmusa LGA and 11 killed in Sabon Layi village, Faskari LGA

Scores were said to have sustained degrees of injuries in the deadly attack.

Some were still missing and their livestock stolen by the attackers.

More to come.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading


Shehu Sani reacts as bandits kille over 30 persons in Katsina

Shehu Sani, the Senator representing Kaduna Central at the National Assembly, has reacted to the attack on three Local Government Areas in Katsina by bandits.

DAILY POST reported that the attack led to death of over 30 persons.

Eighteen were reportedly killed in Yargamji, Batsari LGA, 5 killed in Mara Zamfarawa in Danmusa LGA and 11 killed in Sabon Layi village, Faskari LGA.

The lawmaker also recalled the abduction of ECWA pastor and fifteen other members by bandits on Sunday, noting that this was reality confronting Nigeria.

He tweeted, “On Sunday in Kaduna,Gunmen stormed ECWA Church Dankande and took away the Pastor and 15 other worshippers.

“And now the Bandits raid on Batsari and other two LGs in Katsina. This is the reality confronting.”

Earlier, Shehu Sani had noted that the current security situation and other challenges bedevilling the country cannot be solved by prayers alone.

According to him, “When we work and pray, our problems will be solved [but] when we pray and refused to work, our problems will be waiting for our work.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading


Court begins trial of Togolese cook accused of killing boss

An Igbosere High Court, in Lagos, on Tuesday began trial of a Togolese cook, Sunday Anani, charged with murder of the Chief Executive Officer of Credit Switch Ltd., Chief Opeyemi Gbademosi.

Anani, 22, is standing trial on a two-count charge of murder and armed robbery preferred against him by the Lagos State Government, NAN reports.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the offences.

His counsel, Mrs Aderenla Adeyemi from the Office of the Public Defender, informed the court on Tuesday that the defendant would opt for plea bargain.

Adeyemi said that she had approached the Lagos State Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Ms Titilayo Shitta-Bay on that, adding that she was asked to file an application to that effect.

After the information, the deceased’s wife, Mrs Ebunoluwa Gbademosi, testified how her husband was allegedly killed by the cook, three days after he got to their house.

The witness, who was led in evidence by the DPP, said that on the fateful day, she went to a branch of Polaris Bank at Falomo for some transactions at 8.05a.m.

She said that while she was about leaving the bank, the deceased called her and was asking her why the defendant was knocking on his room door.

She said that the deceased asked her over the phone if she was back from the bank and she said that she was on her way back.

Gbademosi said that the deceased later told her that he would open the door to find out what the defendant wanted.

According to her, before she left the house for the bank, she told the defendant that her husband was still sleeping.

She added that she told the defendant not wake up her husband.

She testified that she told the defendant to continue with house cleaning as she was going out and would be back soon.

The witness said that when she came back, their gateman opened the gate for her but there was no response at the kitchen door when she knocked severally to get into the house.

“I tried to call my husband’s phone, it was picked but nothing was said. I went downstairs to enter through the front door.

“I saw that my husband’s room was ajar, his body was on the floor and blood was flowing out from his room.

“I ran out and started screaming for help, some neighbours came out. I kept running. I then asked the security, Where is that guy ‘oga’ brought into the house? What is happening? Who is inside the house?”

Gbademosi said that she later went back into the house.

“My neighbours who entered inside said my husband was gone and I passed out.”

She said that 10 days later, the police came and led her back into the house, and that it was then she discovered that her husband’s five wrist watches were stolen.

She said that the defendant took her husband’s phone, opened all his brief cases and drawers and scattered them on the floor.

On cross-examination by the defendant’s counsel, the witness said that the defendant was got through her late husband’s friend’s houseboy in Ondo State.

Justice Mobolanle Okikiolu-Ighile, adjourned the case until June 11, for continuation of trial.

The prosecution alleged that the defendant committed the murder on Oct. 31, 2018, at Park View Estate, Ikoyi, Lagos.

It said that the defendant stabbed the deceased, aged 67, to death with a knife and stole his valuables, in contravention of Sections 223 and 297 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading


%d bloggers like this: