Connect with us

Education

FG gives update on HND/BSc dichotomy in civil service

The Federal Government has said the controversial dichotomy in the placement of HND and Degree holders in the federal civil service cadres has not been abolished.

This is despite wide held belief that the dichotomy has been abolished and the holders of the two certificates would henceforth enjoy same privileges.

The Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (HoCSF), Mrs. Winifred Oyo-Ita, disclosed this yesterday at a press conference attended by DAILY POST in Abuja, where she presented her three-year scorecard.

According to her, Nigerians have grossly misunderstood the pronouncement made by the Federal Executive Council on the controversial HND and BSc dichotomy.

She said the government have not completely resolved the dichotomy, as workers who holds HND in the civil service may have to get additional degree or certificate before they can be moved to level 17 like their University degrees counterparts.

“I think the issue of this HND and BSC Dichotomy came up at the last Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting. It is something a lot of people are still confused about and it should not be so.

“What was approved at FEC is that henceforth HND graduate who entered at the same level as degree holders will be on the same level at entry point in the civil service.

“The issue of where they stop will still remain at Grade Level 14 unless they are able to acquire additional relevant degrees that can now covert them to officer cadre. We have explained this severally, but when people hear that BSC–HND dichotomy has been cancelled, everyone was jumping for joy as if it is automatically that HND will get up to Grade Level 17 in the public service.

“The issue still remains that HND still have to convert after having acquired relevant degrees, to the officer grade,” Oyo-Ita said.

She also said that the Federal Government has completed 1,310 housing units under the Federal Integrated Staff Housing (FISH) programme.

According to her, while 9,503 additional units are still under construction, 345 units have been allocated to civil servants in Abuja.

She added that while a total 30 off-takers of the FISH have been handed over keys to their housing units, only 17 have actually moved in with their families.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

JAMB registers over 1.6 million, confirms closing date for 2019 UTME registration

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says not less than 1.8 million candidates would be registered for its 2019 UTME by the end of the registration exercise scheduled for Feb. 21.

The Board’s Head, Media and Information, Dr Fabian Benjamin, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Lagos.

Benjamin expressed satisfaction with the ongoing registration exercise nationwide, adding that so far, it had been smooth with little or no hitches.

The registration of candidates for this year’s all Computer Based Test (CBT) Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), commenced on Feb. 10.

Meanwhile, an official bulletin of the board tagged ‘jambulletin’ issued on Sunday, said over 1.6 million candidates had registered for the examination between Feb. 10 and Feb. 15 nationwide, with Lagos recording the highest, with 234,259 candidates.

According to the bulletin, preparations for the successful conduct of the examination scheduled to commence few weeks from now is in top gear.

Also contained in the bulletin is the restatement of the unlikely extension of the registration deadline by the board.

“Candidates would commence the reprinting of their examination notification slips two weeks to the examination date.

“On the examination slip are candidates’ schedule for the examination, date, time and centre, as well as other necessary information about the examination.

“Two weeks to the commencement of the examination, candidates will have their slips placed on their profiles.

“However, in the event where candidates could not access their slip, such candidates can visit the board’s service portal,on www.jamb.org.ng to print the slip,” the bulletin stated.

It also said that messages would as well be sent to candidates, informing them on when to reprint their e-slip.

According to the bulletin, the processes are all automated to keep candidates abreast of developments, just as messages will be sent to all candidates informing them on when to print their e-slip.

The bulletin warned candidates against coming into the examination halls with prohibited items such as wrist watches, telephones and others.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Education

Postponed elections: Lagos govt orders schools to resume Monday

The Lagos State Government has asked all schools in the state to resume for academic activities on Monday, instead of Tuesday.

This followed the postponement of the general elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

A statement issued on Saturday by Mrs. Ronke Soyombo, Director General, Education Quality Assurance, said “I have the directive of Her Excellency, the Deputy Governor of Lagos State to inform all Lagos State school’s stakeholders and the general public that the state government has been compelled by the change in election dates to further review the 2018/19 school academic calendar as stated below:

“All schools resume Monday, 18th February, 2019, All schools in Lagos State are expected to close on the following dates: Friday 22nd of February and to resume on Monday, 25th February.

“The schools will also close on Friday, 8th March, 2019 and to resume on Monday, 11th March. All public and private schools, school leaders and school associations should take note and adhere strictly.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Education

ASUU chairman caught in sex-for-marks scandal

Prof. Monday Igbafen, the Chairman of Ambrose Alli University (AAU) chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), has been suspended by university authorities over allegations of sexual assault.

Igbafen, an Associate Professor of the Department of Philosophy, was suspended after his appearance before a disciplinary committee on allegations of sexual misconduct.

This was made public in a statement signed by Edward Aihevba, the university’s spokesman, on Wednesday in Benin, Edo State capital.

The statement noted that Igbafen had been arraigned before the Senior Staff Disciplinary Committee (SSDC) on allegations of gross misconduct bordering on sexual harassment and threatening students to have sex with him in exchange for marks.

According to the statement, Igbafen was found culpable by the university’s investigative panel.

A relative of one of the victims had threatened to take the institution to the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission ICPC if Igbafen wasn’t prosecuted.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: