Justice A. H. Suleiman is the Chairman of Kaduna State’s National and State Houses of Assembly Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Kaduna.
The relief followed an ex parte motion filed by the applicants: Shehu Sani and the Peoples Redemption Party, PRP, in petition No. EPT/KD/SN/M/02/19, asking the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to make results sheets and incident forms available for inspection.
In the ruling of an ex-parte motion filed by J.S Kure, Counsel to Senator Shehu Sani, the Tribunal Chairman, Justice A. H. Suleiman said: “An order is hereby made compelling the 3rd Respondent (INEC) to allow the petitioners/applicants or their agents or assigns access to inspect documents (Form EC8A, Eze INEC incident forms) and result sheets of all polling units in the seven Local government Areas that make up Kaduna Central Senatorial district.”
“An order is hereby also made on the 3rd Respondent to make available to the petitioners/Applicants certified True Copy of all the documents.”
Senator Shehu Sani is challenging the victory of Uba Sani, who won Kaduna Central Senatorial district on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, at the Tribunal.
AREWA.NG, recalls that Shehu Sani, a first timer to the Senate, contested on the platform of Peoples Redemption Party (PRP) when he could not secure APC return ticket for the now-concluded election.
Ondo varsity shut as students ground academic activities
This development followed the protest that greeted the decision of the school management to bar students from writing the continuous assessment as a result of school fees issue.
It was gathered that the university management had announced the enforcement of ‘No School Fees, No Test/Examination’ with large number of students not allowed to participate in Wednesday’s test.
Infuriated by the management’s decision, the students mobilized in their numbers and disrupted the test.
According to some of the students, they described the action of the school’s management as an effort to make indigent students drop out of going by the exorbitant fees put in place by the management last year.
A student , who gave his name as Williams explained that, “they (management) shut out most students who have not paid or balance their fees from writing this test.
“It is nothing but pure wickedness.
“They’re some of us whose parents don’t have the financial strength of paying the fees at once. It’s just unfair.
Another student, who gave her name as Titi said that “the management ought to outline modalities of making the fee convenient for students.
“Even in some private universities, they’re ways it’s done that it won’t be cumbersome for parents and students.
“Probably, the plan of the state government is to deprive us of university education.
However, the university management has ordered all students to vacate the campus with immediate effect.
The Registrar of the institution, Dr. Sunday Ayeerun in a statement said all students should resume Monday May 20, 2019.
“The Management of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko, Ondo State,has approved a Mid-Semester break for all students of the University.
“All students of the university are, therefore, advised to proceed on the Mid-Semester break with immediate effect.
“Students are to resume to campus on Monday, May 20, 2019,”
The students were billed to commence the first semester 2018/2019 academic session on May 5, 2019.
The Ondo State government had last year increased the school fees in the institution from average N35,000 to N180,000 which generated series of protests that led to the shutting down of the Akure the Ondo State capital for days.
Oyo: Adelabu breaks silence on alleged rift with Ajimobi
Adelabu made this clarification while playing host to APC party chairmen from the 33 local government areas of the state who came to pay him a solidarity visit in Ibadan, the state capital.
Adelabu, while speaking during the visit said that, “the antics of mischief makers cannot put a wedge in the relationship between the two of us.”
He was reacting to the insinuation that he deliberately ignored to acknowledge the governor in his thank you message to the people of Oyo State.
The former Deputy Governor (Operations) Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), while dispelling the rumor of alleged rift with Ajimobi, maintained that those who said that he ignored the governor are only displaying their ignorance.
He said, “Those who said I ignored the governor are only displaying their crass ignorance.
“My message was to our people whose mandate we sought and who voted for us overwhelmingly. Our appreciation is a process, as our next port of call was the state party executives whom we visited last week.
“I’ve been in constant touch with my leader who gave me all his support before our primaries, all through the campaigns and during the election proper.
“Senator Ajimobi will forever remain dear to me as the bond between us transcends what the mischief makers can comprehend,” he reiterated.
Adelabu seized the opportunity to express his resolve to put the campaign vehicles at the disposal of the party both at the local government and state levels.
He said, “I’ve told our leaders when I went to visit the state executive committee of our great party that I will not renege on my pledge that the vehicles belong to the party.
“I’m a loyal party man and I cannot go back on my words”.
APC Chairman in Ibadan South West Local Government, Prince Aderemi Oni, who spoke on behalf of his colleagues, praised Adelabu’s spirit of sportsmanship in the just concluded election.
Oni said, “The chairmen came to express our support and to identify with you in your future political move.
“We salute your courage and we’re proud to have worked with you in the elections”.
Banditry: Buratai issues order to Army commanders
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen. Tukur Buratai has extolled officers and men of the Nigerian Army for the various successes recorded so far in safeguarding Nigeria’s territory.
NAN reports that the Army Chief made the commendation at the opening of the 2019 first quarter Chief of Army Staff Conference at Jaji in Kaduna State on Wednesday.
He however said in spite of the successes, the troops must think out of the box to keep the terrorists on the run.
Buratai said credible intelligence was necessary in meeting various security challenges in the country and directed commanders to work closely with locals, so as to decisively deal with terrorists, bandits and other criminal gangs.
“It is gratifying to note that the NA within the First Quarter 2019 has performed creditably well starting with the seizing of initiatives and turning the battle momentum against the Boko Haram terrorists in the North East.
“And rounding up with the professional manner with which the NA supported the civil authorities, as part of our constitutional role, to ensure the successful conduct of the 2019 General Elections.”
He added: “Despite reports of some alleged cases of infractions by some personnel, which are being investigated by a high level committee, I am elated with the encomiums and accolades showered on the NA for the high level of professionalism exhibited in the conduct of the elections. I say well done to each and every one of you.
“I must also acknowledge the resilience and doggedness of our troops in reversing the ugly trends that almost marred our concerted efforts in the North East,” Buratai said, noting that Boko Haram alliance with the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) had been dealt with.
“That is why Operation YANCIN TAFKI was launched to effectively ensure the total destruction of the insurgents hibernating and operating from the ‘tumbuns’ with a view to crippling their ability and capability to wage any form of war.
“The operational successes recorded in this First Quarter 2019 in this fight have further underscored the NA’s resolve to defend the territorial integrity of Nigeria.”
On banditry and kidnapping in the North West and North Central Zones, Buratai said new strategies are being adopted to address the ugly trends.
“This has necessitated the launching of operation HARBIN KUNAMA III.
“The concept of this operation will require the combat arms as well as all combat support and combat support services working in synergy with other security agencies, the traditional institutions and other stakeholders to get rid of criminal elements.
“We must ensure information flow that will be converted into actionable and timely intelligence for troops to take proactive measures and to support and drive targeted operations.
“It is important that commanders in the field relate with the society and other security agencies in their efforts to bring the high rate of kidnapping, acts of banditry and attacks on villages leading to killings in Zamfara, Sokoto, Kaduna and Katsina States to an end.
“There must be sustained synergy, cooperation and collaboration with all stakeholders in these endeavours.”
The Army chief urged the media to be patriotic and stop glorifying terrorists and criminals in the country.
“I will seize this opportunity to caution the media and the general public not to glorify bandits, armed robbers, kidnappers and ethnic militias to the extent that they are seen as stronger than the military and other security agencies.
“The criminals and bandits are only as strong as the society paints or view them and further propagated by the media.
“It is important to state that information and intelligence flows from the people and indeed from the press and the public.
“Such criminal activities are intelligence based and the people, are in this regard, to provide timely information and clear identifications of the perpetrators.
“Undue publicity and praise singing of the bandits and other criminal elements would only motivate them to commit more criminal acts at the detriment of the society.
“Therefore, the press, the general public, security analysts and public commentators are advised to show more maturity and due diligence in this collective effort of ridding the country of criminals and criminalities.”
Crime3 days ago
‘Yan Bindiga Sun Kashe Sama Da Mutane Goma A Jihar Katsina
Arewa2 days ago
19 killed in Jigawa auto crash
Hausa2 days ago
Ko kun san mata nawa Adam Zango ya taba aura a rayuwarsa?
Arewa3 days ago
Banditry: Village head, others arrested in Zamfara
Hausa2 days ago
Wata mata a jihar Kebbi ta cakawa mijinta wuka ya mutu
World News1 day ago
Woman wakes up from coma 27 years after school bus crash
Arewa2 days ago
Zamfara Traditional Rulers Arrested For Serving As Bandits’ Informants
World News2 days ago
10-year-old girl born without hands wins handwriting competition | US News