Connect with us

World News

‘El Chapo’ hitman had soundproof ‘murder room’

One of Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman’s trusted hitmen kept a soundproof “murder room” with a drain to speed up messy executions, jurors have been told.

Edgar Galvan, a witness in Guzman’s trial, said Jose Antonio “Jaguar” Marrufo’s slaughterhouse was “where he killed people”, the New York Post reported.

Joaquin

Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman is escorted by soldiers in Mexico City in 2016

Galvan said: “He took me once to a house where the floor was just white, tiled.

“In that house, no one comes out. No noise comes out.”

He also said he saw a “drainage outlet” at the property which was located in Ciudad Juarez in Mexico.

Federal police escort suspect Jose Antonio Torres Marrufo alias

Trial witness Edgar Galvan said he met Jose Antonio ‘Jaguar’ Marrufo (pictured) in 2007
The 41-year-old said he met Marrufo – who is now in prison but controlled the city for Guzman’s Sinaloa cartel – in 2007 after he started hanging out at nightclubs after his divorce.

He was soon living in El Paso in Texas and helping his new “party friend” move guns across the border to help “clean” Ciudad Juarez of rival cartels.

The witness explained to the court in Brooklyn, New York, that this meant “to kill all of the people”.



El Chapo arriving in the US in 2017 after his extradition to Mexico
Who is drug lord ‘El Chapo’?
Galvan, who was arrested in 2011, told jurors during his evidence on Monday that he is currently eight years into a 24-year sentence after admitting charges of possession of firearms and drugs.

Guzman, 61, was extradited to the US last year after escaping from a Mexican prison twice, but his lawyers insist he is being framed.

The alleged Sinaloa co-founder is accused of smuggling more than 155 tonnes of cocaine into the US over 25 years.

He faces 11 trafficking, firearms and money laundering charges and is likely to be jailed for life if convicted.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Kidnappers kill British woman in Nigeria

Kidnappers in Nigeria have shot dead a British woman and a Nigerian man, and abducted three others, officials have said.

Police and the British High Commission have named the woman as Faye Mooney, 29, and said they were aware of an incident which took place at a holiday resort on Friday but added that they would not speculate on a motive.

Her next of kin have been informed.

The Briton was working in Nigeria as a communications specialist for aid group Mercy Corps and was one of 12 tourists travelling to the northern city of Kaduna from Lagos, police said.

Police said Ms Mooney, who worked in the west African nation for nearly two years, had been attending a party before the incident.

In a statement, Mercy Corps said it was “utterly heartbroken” by the killing.

Ms Mooney's employers said they were 'utterly heartbroken' at her death. Pic: LinkedIn

Image:
Ms Mooney’s employers said they were ‘utterly heartbroken’ by her death. Pic: LinkedIn

A Kaduna state police spokesman said: “Some suspected kidnappers armed with dangerous weapons gained entry into a recreational resort called Kajuru Castle in Kajuru local government area shooting sporadically and in the process shot dead two persons, including an expatriate lady, and took away three others.”

Officers have not yet named the other person killed in the incident.

No individuals or groups have said they are behind the killing and police are yet to identify the kidnappers.

Northern Nigeria has been dealing with a Boko Haram and Islamic State insurgency and clashes between farmers and herders, in which hundreds have died.

Kaduna has seen a spate of kidnappings by armed men in recent months.

In a statement, the British High Commission said: “We are engaging with the Nigerian authorities, and we understand an investigation is under way.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Crime

Hong Kong: Nigerian Woman Nabbed ‘With Cocaine In Condoms Hidden In Her Vagina’


Customs officials in Hong Kong have apprehended a Nigerian woman who arrived at the Hong Kong International Airport on Thursday with more than half a kilogramme of cocaine hidden in her body, South China Morning Post is reporting.

According to the Hong Kong-headquartered Asian paper, the 37-year-old, who claimed to be a businesswoman, arrived in the city on a flight from Lagos via Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

She was said to be acting suspiciously, shortly after her arrival on Thursday, hence she was taken to hospital for a check-up that confirmed she had foreign objects in her body.

“She was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Yau Ma Tei for a check-up and confirmed to have foreign objects in her body,” the paper said.

“Officers first recovered 215 grams of cocaine contained in condoms and plastic bags found in her vagina. She later discharged 24 capsules of cocaine, each weighing 14 grams, from her body.

“The haul, weighing 550 grams in total, was estimated to be worth HK$522,000 (US$66,900). The authorities said the woman, who was detained for inquiries, may discharge more drugs.”

Under Hong Kong’s Dangerous Drugs Ordinance, the maximum penalty for drug trafficking is life imprisonment and a HK$5 million fine.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Hausa

Masu zanga-zanga na jiran sanarwar mika mulki ga farar hula a Sudan

Protesters have continued to stage a sit-in in central Khartoum

Hakkin mallakar hoto
AFP

Image caption

Masu zanga-zanga a kasar Sudan na kokarin sanar da majalisar da farar hula za ta jagoranta da suke so ta jagoranci kasar wace za ta kasance a matsayin gwamamnatin rikon kwarya bayan hambarar da Omar al-Bashir.

Dubban masu zanga-zangar na ci gaba da haduwa a wajen shelkwatar rundunar sojojin kasar da ke birnin Khartoum.

Shugabannin da ke jagorantar zanga-zangar na ci gaba da tattaunawa da sojojin kasar tun bayan juyin mulkin da aka yi a kasar.

A ranar Lahadi ne dai sojojin suka bayyana aniyarsu ta ba farar hula mulki, amma suna kokarin kafa majalisar da farar hular za ta jagoranta da taimakon sojojin.

Me shugabannin masu zanga-zangar ke shiryawa?

Kungiyar Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), ita ce kungiyar da ta jagoranci zanga-zangar da ta yi sanadiyar juyin mulkin hambarar da Omar al-Bashir kuma har a yanzu, ita ce gaba-gaba wajen gudanar da zanga-zanga da kuma tattaunawa da sojojin wajen ganin cewa mulki ya dawo ga farar hula.

Tun a baya dai, daya daga cikin jagoran kungiyar ta SPA ya bayyana cewa wannan zai iya kawo tsaiko wajen bayyana majalisar riko ta farar hula amma ya tabbatar da cewa sanarwar za a yi ta ne a ranar Lahadi a filin da ake gudanar da zanga-zangar.

Masu zanga-zangar na san majalisar rikon ta zamana ita ce za ta ci gaba da gudanar da harkokin gwamanti har zuwa lokacin da za a gudanar da zabe a kasar.

Me sojojin za su yi?

A ranar Lahadi, sojojin sun amsa da cewa za su amsa kiran da masu zanga-zangar suke yi na mulkin farar hula cikin mako daya inda suka bayyana ra’ayinsu na majalisar ta zamana ta hadaka tsakanin farar hula da sojojin.

Tun tuni dai sojojin ke nuna tirjiya wajen mika mulki ga farar hula inda suka ki bayar da kai domin bori ya hau.

Amma kuma sojojin sun saki wasu daga cikin ‘yan siyasar da ke gidan kaso inda kuma a wani bangaren kuma sojojin suka kama wasu daga cikin mukarraban Omar al-Bashir.

Duk da cewa sojojin sun yi alkawarin ba za su kori masu zanga-zangar daga filin da suke gudanar da ita ba, amma sun yi kira garesu da su bari a ci gaba da rayuwa cikin walwala.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: