Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
The Nigerian Geological Survey Agency (NGSA) on Monday confirmed that there was a minor earth tremor in Bwari Area of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Mr Imam Kaka, a Deputy Director in the agency and head of Geophysics Department who confirmed the development on Monday in Abuja said officials of the agency had visited Bwari to evaluate the situation. Kaka said that although vibrations had occurred in the area, there was no visible crack. He urged residents of the area not to panic.
The Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Finance and Economy, Ms. Sarah Alade, has demanded N500 million from two journalists, Messrs Alfred Olufemi (21years) and Gidado Yushau (23 years), over an investigative report she claimed defamed her. After court adjournment on Monday, the journalists were served with writ of summons by the legal practitioner of Hillcrest Agro-Allied Industries Limited, demanded the sum of N500 million from the duo. They also sought an order compelling the defendants to retract and delete the links of the report from their platform and ensure the deletion of same from all platforms on the internet that have copied it.
Report has it that bandits suspected to be herdsmen have sacked 10 communities in Chikun and Brinin Gwari Local Government Areas of Kaduna State. About 35 persons have been allegedly killed by the bandits while about 58 persons have also been abducted. The bandits, who have established communication with the relatives of those abducted, were said to be demanding a ransom of N100m.
The United States has vowed to strike Iran and its proxies where legally available and appropriate. Defense Secretary, Mark Esper made this known in an interview, adding that the U.S. has the constitutional authority to strike Iranian proxies in Iraq and on Iran’s home soil in retaliation for attacks on American forces. Esper said the Authorization for Use of Military Force Resolution gives the U.S. military the right to attack Iranian-backed proxies in Iraq.
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) says it has not released any date for the commencement of online registration in respect of 2020 Batch “A” Orientation programme. Mrs Adenike Adeyemi, Director, Press and Public Relations of the scheme made this known in a statement on Monday in Abuja. According to her, the NYSC management did not issue an advertorial for the commencement of the registration. She said that the purported advertorial was the handiwork of fraudsters to extort prospective corps members.
The Supreme Court on Monday adjourned till Tuesday (today) the hearing of 13 appeals filed in respect of governorship tussles in six states. The adjournment followed an announcement by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad, that one of the members of the panel was ill. The states are Kano, Imo, Benue, Plateau, Bauchi and Sokoto.
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka has commended the south-west governors over the idea of the Western Nigeria Security Network, which has been code-named ‘Operation Amotekun’. Soyinka speaking at the “Never Again” conference that took place in Lagos on Monday to commemorate 50 years of the end of the Nigerian civil war, described Amotekun as a desirable New Year gift, saying he had earlier given up on the political leadership of the region until the launch of the security outfit.
Members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, on Monday, condemned PresidentMuhammadu Buhari (retd.), and the Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai, over the continued detention of their leader, Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, and his wife, Zeenat. They warned Buhari and El-Rufai that the day of reckoning was fast-approaching. They made this known while addressing a press conference on Monday in Kaduna. The address was by a leader of the IMN, Yunusa Lawal.
Former Vice President and the Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2019 elections, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar has been challenged to show integrity, honour and discipline in his contractual relationships, either with individuals, groups or corporate entities. Giving this advice in a statement, the Buhari Media Organisation (BMO) said recent exposure of Atiku by the staff of his communication company and consultants hired from foreign media companies does not portray Atiku as a man of integrity. In the statement signed by its Chairman Niyi Akinsiju and Secretary Cassidy Madueke, BMO said that it was responding to petitions by former staff of Atiku who alleged that he refused to honour his agreement to pay them.
Barcelona have announced the appointment of Quique Setien as their new manager. Setien replaces Ernesto Valverde, who was informed by Barca that he will be sacked, following a meeting on Monday with his agent. This was disclosed in the club’s official statement.
Hausa3 weeks ago
Obaseki: Me ya sa Shugaba Buhari ba ya iya ɗinke ɓarakar jam’iyyar APC?
Health2 weeks ago
Nigeria beats crippling childhood disease, to be declared polio free in August
News2 weeks ago
LaLiga: Real Madrid defeat Sociedad to go top ahead of Barcelona
Arewa2 weeks ago
Ko Kun San Cewa Kudin Tallafin CBN COVID-19 Ba Kyauta Ba Ne, Bashi Ne? – AREWA News
Arewa2 weeks ago
Rainstorm destroys over 50 houses in Kebbi — The Guardian Nigeria News
Health3 weeks ago
Nigeria Polio free, WHO declares
News6 days ago
Serie A: Sarri comments on Cristiano Ronaldo’s performance after Juventus’ 3-1 win over Genoa
Buhari2 weeks ago
New twists in APC as Buhari backs GiadomNigeria — The Guardian Nigeria News – Nigeria and World News