President of ASUU, Prof Biodun Ogunyemi, said the negotiations between both parties were still inconclusive.
According to Ogunyemi, the team that represented the union at the meeting with representatives of government had no final say over calling off the strike action.
Speaking with Tribune, Ogunyemi said: “It was just yesterday (Tuesday) that government sent the proposal to us without waiting for feedback before going to the public that we have reached an agreement. ASUU does not operate in that manner.
“The ASUU team that met the Federal Government would have to consult our principal over the proposal which we are already doing.
“So, ASUU cannot make a pronouncement on a mere proposal. Until our principal agrees, there is no agreement. And that is what we have always emphasised to government that we are going to consult our members and if after consultation, our members think the proposal is good enough, we will get back to government and tell them that now, we have taken a decision which becomes an agreement.
“But so far on government proposal, we have not taken a decision. And our strike is still ongoing.
“If you say you are going to set up a committee and you have set up that committee, that one is clear. And if you say you are going to pay certain money for certain purpose and you have paid, that will not also cause further argument. But where we said you should release certain amount of money in five tranches within certain period of time, and you are saying well, you have paid N20 billion, or you have paid N2 billion or N15. 4 billion, it means you haven’t started.
“So, that is the level we are now. And we don’t have a final say on any proposal that is controversial. But for areas that are not controversial as I had mentioned, we will only need to confirm payment. If paid, fine. It then means that one is settled and we now move to another one that is yet to be settled. And the one that is not settled we will need to take feedback to our members and that is the position we are at the moment.”
2019 UTME: JAMB speaks on when results will be released
JAMB’s Head of Information, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, said the board discovered that some candidates who wrote the examination engaged in massive fraud and impersonation, putting their results in doubt.
Benjamin stated this in an interview in Abuja, on Wednesday.
He said the board had started screening the results of all the candidates who wrote the examination and would release them as soon as it finished the exercise.
Benjamin said: “We will not release the results in a hurry. We will do a lot of crosschecking and matchmaking to be sure that nobody that was engaged in illicit act go scot free.
“We will release the results as soon as we finish checking the results to ensure that all those ones that we caught in various illicit registration acts are properly dealt with and those that we could not arrest are withheld.
“We will release the results when we finish doing our screening. We are screening the whole results.
“We don’t have the numbers now but we won’t release any result until we are sure of the whole thing.”
Benjamin also said the board was investigating cases of biometric verification failure in some states.
He assured that the board would do the needful once it finished its investigation and found the reported cases to be genuine.
“We will not be able to say genuine now until we do our due diligence. We are investigating because I told you that we have cases of illicit registration and we discovered that some of them created some scene when they discovered that their time for the exams clashed and they could not write the exam.
“We are giving everybody the benefit of doubt. We will look at all the perimeters and ensure that no one whose case is actually genuine suffers injustice.
“When we finish our exams we will be able to look at the whole thing (biometric issues),” he added.
10 LASPOTECH officials arrested over alleged attempted murder
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered that the LASPOTECH unionists were arrested for molesting JAMB examiners conducting UTME on the campus.
Spokesman for Lagos Police Command, DSP Bala Elkana, confirmed the arrest to NAN on Tuesday, saying that the suspects were undergoing interrogation at Special Investigation Bureau of the command.
Elkana said the suspests were arrested for an alleged attempt to murder some JAMB officials who were carrying out official duties at the institution.
However, the police spokesman did not explain how the unionists attempted to kill the JAMB officials.
“They are undergoing interrogation at the headquarters for attempted murder. They will be charged to court as soon as investigation was concluded,” he said.
LASPOTECH Spokesman, Olanrewaju Kuye, who also confirmed the arrest, told NAN that the affected staff were arrested over alleged molestation of two JAMB staff on official duty on the campus.
He said that the matter was reported by JAMB to the police for investigation.
“The molested JAMB officials reported to the police.
“ The Polytechnic management only apologised to JAMB when we heard of it because we have not been allowed into our offices by the striking unions since January.
“Since we are not on ground, we cannot really ascertain what happened, but would only depend on the report from the investigation of the police.
“It is now a case of the police, JAMB versus the union and not the management,” he said.
The spokesman said the incident was an embarrassment and loss to the institution as JAMB immediately relocated its CBT centre from the polytechnic to another venue.
JAMB speaks on UTME results, suspension of Computer Based Test (CBT) centres, others
Dr Fabian Benjamin, the board’s Head of Media and Publicity, disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Bwari.
He said that as of April 13, over 1.2 million have successfully written the examination scheduled to end April 17.
NAN reports that over 1.8 million candidates are expected to sit for the board’s UTME that commenced nationwide on April 11.
Benjamin said the process of the examination has so far been successful, adding that the board was addressing some of the challenges that came up during the exercise.
He also said that the board was still investigating those who were unable to be verified through its biometric process and would come out with a stand on the matter.
Speaking also on the issue of results, Benjamin said that no results have been released yet.
He explained that the board was still screening the results as the examination was ongoing and also because more fraudulent activities were being identified in the process.
He said: “We have to keep screening these results because there are lots of issues we discovered like multiple registrations, impersonation and the likes, so we are still fishing them out.
“Some have been arrested and those yet to be arrested, we have their records, we will fish then out. However, candidates should expect their results very soon.”
He added that the board’s suspension of some Computer Based Test (CBT) centres nationwide has not affected the candidates.
Benjamin explained that adequate examination centres was provided to all who registered for the examination.
The board in its weekly Bulletin of the Office of the Registrar for April 15 said that it uncovered and arrested ‘Professional Examination Writers’ who writes examination for candidates for a fee.
According to the bulletin, 50 of such fraudulent persons were apprehended in centres across the country as a result of various intelligence gathering.
The bulletin also said that the board suspended 49 CBT centres from participating in the ongoing exercise.
The suspended centres which are spread across the country were suspended for failing to live up to expectations in ensuring a seamless examination.
30 of the exam centres were suspended during the start of the exam on April 11, while the other 19 were blacklisted during the registration exercise; 10 of the centres are located in the FCT.
Hausa3 days ago
Zamfara: Shin kashe-kashen gilla karuwa yake a Najeriya?
Law3 days ago
Delta CJ frees prison inmate who allegedly stole banana
Hausa2 days ago
Jirgin kasa ya kashe wasu mutane biyu a Kano
Crime2 days ago
My father stole N3.8m from the N4.5m ransom I collected – Kidnap suspect confesses
World News2 days ago
Venezuela accepts first batch of aid from Red Cross amid medicine shortage
Buhari3 days ago
Omotola exchanges words with Bashir Ahmaad over Buhari’s govt
Arewa17 hours ago
Saraki reacts to signing of Minimum Wage Bill into law by Buhari
World News2 days ago
Omar al Bashir: Uganda may offer ousted Sudan leader refuge despite ICC warrant