Connect with us

News

APC vs PDP: Aisha Buhari speaks on Buhari, Atiku battle

Wife of President Muhammadu Buhari, Aisha on Tuesday in Abuja, said that though her husband maybe seen as a hard man, he is compassionate and deserves re-election on Saturday.

Buhari of the All Progressives Congress (APC) will slug it out with Atiku Abubakar, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate.

NAN reports that Aisha, who heads the APC Women and Youth Presidential Campaign Team, stated this at the National Union of Road Transport Workers National (NURTW) National Headquarters in Abuja.She led some members of the team to the union headquarters to inform its leadership what the Buhari-led administration was doing to impact on the lives of the people.

Aisha was represented by Retired Brig.-Gen. Buba Marwa, Chairman, Central Working Committee of the APC, Women and Youth Presidential Campaign Team at the event.

She stressed that the meeting was to discuss governance with the union’s leadership and steps be taken by the Buhari led administration to address the plight of the common man.

Aisha said Buhari in the last three and half years had led the country by example and had proved to be an incorruptible leader.

She noted that with regards to security, motor parks in the country had had been secured compared to the past when bombs blasts were daily occurrences.

“The President is up and doing and he had been able to curtail the Boko Haram menace. He has worked, and he is working very hard.

“By the time his mandate is renewed by Nigerians in the coming election, it will be better for us all,” she said.

Alhaji Najeem Yasin, National President NURTW while appreciating the team for the visit, acknowledged that Buhari had done well for the country in terms of delivering democracy dividends.

“On behalf of members of the NURTW, we commend Buhari for the good work he is doing, especially with regards to road construction across the country,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police arrest 5 traffic robbery suspects in Lagos

A team of surveillance attached to the Police Command in Lagos State has arrested five traffic robbery suspects, the Spokesperson of the command, DSP Bala Elkana, has said.

Elkana said in a statement that the suspects were arrested by the police patrol team on surveillance along Oshodi/Apapa express way.

“The policemen sighted some armed bandits at Toyota bus stop, under Daleko bridge, taking advantage of the traffic congestion, robbing motorists and other unsuspecting members of the public of their valuables such as laptops, cell phones and money.

“Three suspects namely; Daniel Ani, 19; Akinbode Muiz, 17, and Oluwasegun Emmanuel, 24, were arrested. They confessed to being responsible for traffic robbery along Mushin and its environs.

“They confessed to have stolen numerous phones and bags from different victims as well as a bag containing the sum of N25,000 belonging to one Oyebanji Ibukun of No 14, waheed Ologunju street, Okeafa Isolo before they were apprehended by the Police,” he said.

The statement added that two knives and cutlasses were recovered from the suspects and that investigation was ongoing after which the suspects would be charged to court.

The spokesman also said that two suspects namely Olalekan Taoreed, 20 of No.20, Sunday street, Ijora Badia and Adeniyi Okunloye of No. 25, Alaba Road, Suru Alaba were arrested by the police on April 19, and that one Samsung Duos cell phone stolen from one of the victims was recovered from them.

He said their arrest by the surveillance patrol team attached to Orile Police Station followed a distress call at 8 p.m.that some traffic robbers were operating at Alafia area along Lagos Badagry Express Way.

According to him, “One big sharp cutlass which was used in inflicting injuries on their victims was recovered from them. The suspects confessed to being responsible for traffic robberies along Orileand environs.

“Investigation is ongoing and suspects will be charged to Court, ” Elkana said.

He said the Commissioner of Police, Zubairu Muazu, had warned that with the deployment of surveillance teams across the state, tough times awaited traffic robbers.

“The command will continue to make Lagos State difficult for criminal elements to operate. The commissioner calls on Lagosians to be vigilant at all times,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Niger-Delta chiefs, elders warn military against invading home of monarchs

Forum of South-South chiefs and elders have condemned the invasion of the residence of the Amanyanabo of Okochiri Kingdom, in Okirika Local Government Area of Rivers State, King Ateke Tom, by men in camouflage regalia believed to be military men.

The body warned that the incident should be the last time the military would unwantonly invade the home of a traditional ruler in the region.

It also urged the military to seek a way of pacifying the region for the attack on one of its traditional rulers.

The Chairman of the Forum, High Chief Harry Omubo, made this call, weekend, at the palace of King Ateke, at Okochiri on Okirika Local Government Area of Rivers State.

Omobo said: “We were not happy when we got the news of the invasion of your palace by military men. We are standing against this kind of marginalization and intimidation.

“Your reign as a King is important to us, the South-South Chiefs and elders. And we have come to condemn this very act by the military in its entirety.

“We want to state that this should be the last time the military will under political guise denigrate our traditional stool. Let this kind of thing never happen again.

“They cannot invade the home of an emir or any other prominent person in the North. Because of your leadership qualities, we have decided that you become our patron.”

Responding, King Ateke, thanked the chiefs and elders for their solidarity, stressing that he would continue to work towards the development of the region.

Ateke said, “When this incident happened, The King thought Niger Deltans will not make any move. Now I know that I have people.

“This is a trial period. In the bible all kings were warlords and that is why God chose him at this time.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Arewa

Zamfara killings: Emir Attahiru Ahmad makes u-turn, apologizes to Air Force

The Chairman, Zamfara State Council of Chiefs, Alhaji Attahiru Ahmad, has apologized to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) over its recent allegations that innocent citizens were killed in the state during air strikes by personnel of the Air Force.

The Chairman Council of Chiefs, who is also the Emir of Anka, made the apology when a seven-man high powered investigation team led by AVM Idi Lubo visited him at his palace in Anka on Saturday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the traditional rulers had, a fortnight ago, alleged that air strikes on suspected bandits’ camps hit at and killed innocent citizens in some parts of the state.

The emirs spoke at a press briefing through the Emir of Bungudu, Alhaji Hassan Attahiru.

This followed an emergency meeting they held in reaction to an earlier accusation by the Minister of Defence, Alhaji Mansur Dan Ali, that some high ranking traditional rulers were conniving with the bandits.

The Emir of Bungudu also followed up the claim with the release of the names of some persons who were killed in the air strikes.

The Emir of Anka, however, said “the council regrets the embarrassment caused by the press briefing because it was not targeted at the Air Force or the army but at our own son, the Minister of Defence, who wrongly accused us of complicity in the bandits’ activities in the state.

“l apologize over whatever embarrassment the statement may have caused and from now, we have drawn a line, there won’t be anything like that again, and I want to appeal that care should be applied while tracking the bandits and when they run from your fire power into the community, the land army should take over so as to avoid killing the innocent.

“Out of the 17 emirate councils that we have in the state, mistakes occurred in only four and the submissions we made were gathered in the last two years, l also want to state that nothing happened on innocent citizens in the last six months in the state,” he said.

While speaking on the list of killed persons that was later released by the Emir of Bungudu, the Chairman of the Council of Chiefs said: “The Emir of Bungudu is not the spokesman of the council even though he read our press briefing that day.

“The list of victims that he released to the press on a later day did not emanate from me nor was I aware of it as the Chairman, l will only take responsibility because l am the Chairman”.

He then assured that the traditional council would continue to support security agencies in the fight against armed banditry in the state and urged the army to go and occupy deserted villages where some of the bandits were hiding.

Earlier, leader of the team, AVM Idi Lubo, said the team was in the state to investigate the true position of the allegations in order to avoid future occurrance.

“We have also come with condolence letter from the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshall Sadique Abubakar, in case some innocent people were killed in our encounter with bandits.” He said.

NAN reports that the team was taken round stakeholders by the Commander of the 207 Quick Response Group in the state, Squadron Leader Sunkanmi Thomas.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: