An Abuja High Court has decided to grant accelerated hearing to a suit filed by the African Action Congress (AAC) and its presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, against the Nigeria Elections Debate Group (NEDG), Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON) and Mr. John Momoh, Chairman of BON, challenging the party’s exclusion from the presidential election debate organised by the respondents.
Eddie Emessiri, Executive Secretary of NEDG, had earlier claimed that “character and popularity” led to Sowore’s exclusion from the debate. However, he had later claimed that “lack of funds” was the reason for restricting the presidential debate to just five candidates.
Sitting in Court 14 of the FCT High Court, Jabi, on Monday, Honourable Justice D.Z. Senchi listened to a motion ex parte for interim injunction to restrain the defendants from organising or holding the January 19, 2019 presidential election debate without including the AAC among the political parties selected to participate in the debate.
A statement by Rachel Onamusi-Kpiasi, Director, PR, Media and Communications of the Sowore 2019 Campaign/African Action Congress, noted that after listening to submissions made by Inibehe Effiong, the National Legal Adviser of the AAC, the court ruled that the urgency of the case warranted an accelerated hearing of the suit to allow all parties in the suit to state their cases before a decision could be made.
He, therefore, adjourned the case to January 8, 2019 for hearing and also ordered that all processes in the suit must be filed before the next adjourned date and that no application for extension of time will be entertained by the court.
Representing AAC in court were the party’s National Legal Adviser, Inibehe Effiong; his co-counsel, Mr. Seprebofa Oyeghe; AAC Deputy National Secretary, Dr. Joshua Adeoye; AAC National Organizing Secretary, Philip Oshiokhue, and other members of the party.
Atiku attends PDP NEC meeting over Elections, Buhari
The special National Executive Committee (NEC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has started its emergency meeting to make a review of the postponement of the 2019 elections by the Independent National Electoarl Commission (INEC).
In attendance at the meeting, holding at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja, and presided over by the National Chairman of the party, Prince Uche Secondus, are the party’s leaders, including Atiku Abubakar, its presidential candidate, and Bukola Saraki, the Senate President.
The All Progressives Congress (APC) held a similar meeting on Monday, during which President Muhammadu Buhari controversially said: “So I’m going to warn anybody who thinks he has enough influence in his locality to lead a body of thugs to snatch boxes or to disturb the voting system, he will do it at the expense of his own life.”
Buhari’s expense-of-your-life comment is one of the leading agenda at the NEC meeting.
2019: Atiku has conceded defeat to Buhari before elections on Sartuday – Oshiomhole
Oshiomhole said this while reacting to Atiku’s claim that two geopolitical zones, South South and South East were his strongholds.
Reacting to Atiku’s claim, Oshiomhole said the former Vice President has unwittingly revealed that he has lost out in four out of the six geopolitical zones in the country.
According to Tribune, Oshiomhole said: “PDP has conceded defeat, Atiku claimed to have control of South south. That isn’t true. I come from Edo state and it is under the control of APC. By saying he has 2 out of 6 zones, it means he has lost.
“Atiku knows he can’t win. In 2015, he lost his ward, he procured his senatorial zone for Senator Jubril Aminu, he did same for Senator Jonathan Zwingina! Let him deny it, I am ready to meet him in court.
“Atiku is afraid of defeat, we are ready for the election and by Saturday Atiku would remain a permanent candidate that he has always been. ”
Leah Sharibu: Dapchi parents cry out to FG over Christain girl’s fate
The parents through their chairman, Bashir Manzo made the appeal at a special prayer session organized to commemorate one year anniversary of the abduction of Dapchi schoolgirls, held at Leah’s family house in Dapchi town today, February 19, 2019.
Manzo told DAILY POST that, though parents of Leah were absent at the prayer, they were represented by Helakuri, Leah’s aunt, saying Mrs Rabecca Sharibu travelled to Yola, Adamawa state to join her husband following recent rumour that their daughter was gruesomely killed by the terrorists.
He said that, the prayer brought together Muslim and Christian clerics wearing black and white mufflers while offeriing special supplications to the Almighty God for the safe release of Leah, the only Dapchi schoolgirl still in Boko Haram captivity.
“Apart from today’s prayer, we had observed three days fasting, with a view to seeking divine intervention for the release of our daughter (Leah).
“Despite assurances that Leah is alive and well, we are once again appealing to the Federal Government to rededicate its commitment to salvage our daughter from her captors”, the chairman appealed.
Recall that, on February 19, 2018, Boko Haram terrorist group abducted over 100 students of Government Girls Science and Technical College in Dapchi and were released a month later, leaving Leah Sharibu in captivity.
The abduction of the girls had generated global outrage as Nigeria and the world at large had not fully recovered from the kidnapping of over 200 Chibok school girls in neighbouring Borno state before the Dapchi girls were taken.
World News3 days ago
Trump asks Britain to take back Islamic State fighters | US News
Arewa3 days ago
Kajuru massacre: Fulanis abandon Kaduna village after killing of 66 persons
Crime2 days ago
Yin Sabuwar Waka Kan Dage Zabe Ya Jawo An Yi Ma Wani Jina-jina
News3 days ago
FACT CHECK: is Amina Zakari the head of logistics for INEC?
World News2 days ago
Two dozen bodies recovered from flooded illegal Zimbabwe gold mine
Arewa1 day ago
2019 elections: Police in Kano prosecute over 600 electoral offenders
Arewa2 days ago
Boko Haram: Troops kill two terrorists as others flee with gunshot wounds in Borno
News1 day ago
2019: Buhari’s death threat an electoral offence – Atiku