Connect with us

News

Three Drown On Election Day In Delta



Three persons have been confirmed to have lost their lives along the Benin River in Warri North Local Government Area (LGA) of Delta State on Saturday March 9, 2019 when the boat they were travelling in capsized on their way home, after casting their votes during the governorship and house of assembly elections.

SaharaReporters reliably gathered that the boat, which was carrying about 23 passengers, including the driver, capsized around Ebrohimi waterway after colliding with a fishing boat along the Benin River, while heading for Koko on Saturday night.

Efforts by sympathisers to rescue all the passengers on board were not successful, as three people died.

An eyewitness told SaharaReporters that: “The three persons who lost their lives had earlier been declared missing but were later found dead in the creeks of Warri North where the incident took place. They were all returning from where they went to cast their votes for candidates of their choice when the ugly incident occurred.”

Meanwhile, Emmanuel Uduaghan, immediate past governor of Delta State and the Delta South senatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has condoled with the families of the deceased.

Uduaghan, who hails from the LGA, said he was saddened by the incident, stressing that the deceased persons paid the supreme price for the nation’s democracy.

The former governor, however, noted that more casualties would have been recorded but for the quick intervention by various persons to rescue the victims.

“Our beloved three brothers died in their quest to ensure that the votes of our people in the riverine area count in the March 9 election. This is to tell Nigerians the risk our people, particularly in Delta South, most often go through during electioneering period to vote for the candidates of their choice. I commiserate with the family of the deceased and the people of Warri North,” he said.

He also sympathised with victims still receiving treatment at various hospitals in the locality and wished them speedy recovery.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Buhari’s second term: Foursquare Church sends strong message to President-elect

The General Overseer of Foursquare Gospel Church in Nigeria, Rev. Felix Meduoye, on Saturday advised President Muhammadu Buhari to embrace all Nigerians, as well as tackle insecurity and power challenges, in his second term in office.

Meduoye gave the advice during the wedding of Miss Olawadamilola Elias, the daughter of Rev. Adewale Elias, the Zonal Superintendent of the Foursquare Gospel Church, Cement Zonal Headquarters in Lagos.

The General Overseer, who attended the wedding alongside several leaders of the church, told NAN that Buhari should embrace all Nigerians in his second term and shun anything that would make him “to be perceived’’ as nepotic or favouring any segment of the country above others’’.

“The President should avoid anything that will amount to nepotism or anything that would give the impression that he is favouring one group of people or one tribe than the other,’’ he told NAN.

Meduoye commended government’s efforts in fighting the Boko Haram terrorist group but appealed to the President to deal with new security challenges claiming the lives of Nigerians.

He also appealed to Buhari to address the problem of insecurity and power in the nation.

Meduoye said that the issue of herdsmen attacks, kidnappings and other forms of criminality leading to loss of lives should be given paramount attention.

“People can no longer sleep with their two eyes closed anymore,’’ he said.

The General Overseer also appealed to the President to tackle the problem of poor power supply to boost the nation’s economy.

“The third issue is the problem of power. Electricity, which has been a problem for so many years; people are lamenting lack of adequate electricity. The government should come out to take urgent steps to solve the lingering problem,’’ he said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Bauchi guber: PDP raises alarm over plot to arrest its leaders

PDP has alleged that APC was planning a mass arrest of top PDP leaders in Bauchi State through compromised security personnel.

A statement issued by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, on Saturday in Abuja, said the plot was to put PDP leaders out of circulation and enable the APC to rig the supplementary election in the state.

Ologbondiyan said that credible intelligence available to the PDP was that the APC wants to use political thugs and “compromised security agents’’ to storm polling units between 1p.m to 3p.m.

This, according to him, was for the ruling party to snatch election materials and change results and take them to INEC office in Bauchi for collation and announcement.

He listed some of the PDP leaders earmarked for the alleged mass arrest to include Alhaji Bello Kirfi, Sen. Abdul Ningi, Sen. Suleiman Nazif, Sen. Isa Misau, and Salisu Ningi.

Others include: PDP Bauchi State Chairman, Alhaji Hamza Akuyam; Ahmed Yerima, Samaila, Burgah, Aminu Tukur as well as PDP leaders and agents in the 29 polling units where elections were holding in the state.

Ologbondiyan, however, said that such underhand scheme would not deter the PDP from standing firm in resisting all aggression and consolidating on the party’s already established victory in Bauchi state.

“All our members are at red alert in monitoring the electoral process.

“We will never allow any alteration of results as delivered at the polling units and that nobody, no matter the machination deployed, can rig us out in this election,’’ he said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Thugs Set Ward Election Materials Ablaze In Benue


Political thugs have set ablaze all the election materials that should have been used for supplementary elections in Azendeshi Ward, Chito, Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State.

A voter told SaharaReporters on phone that the materials had been kept inside a public primary school in the area but thugs gained access and set them ablaze despite the provision of security agents.

“No election held here,” said the disappointed voter, who also couldn’t vote in the original election due to violence. “No one would have thought that despite the presence of policemen, such an act could happen. Maybe the policement should be withdrawn so we know we have no protection.”

However, Nentawe Yilwatda, INEC’s Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, said the thugs attacked the electoral officials on their way to Chito Adzendechi Council Ward, burning electoral materials in the process.

Apart from Chito town, which is the headquarters of Azendeshi Ward and has a voting population of 13,000, elections are ongoing in 22 of the 23 local government areas where the supplementary exercise was scheduled to hold.

There have been similar reports of violence and disruption of voting in the five states where supplementary governorship elections are holding, particularly in Kano.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: