Connect with us

Atiku Obasanjo

2019 presidency: What Atiku, Secondus said during PDP Lagos rally

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has assured Nigerians that he would fulfil his promise to restructure Nigeria if elected in Saturday’s presidential election.

The former Vice President gave the assurance during PDP’s campaign rally in Lagos State on Tuesday.

He stated that unlike the All Progressives Congress, APC, which he claimed has failed to deliver on its promises, he would fulfill his promises to create jobs for millions of unemployed Nigerians.

Atiku also promised to remove congestion in Lagos state which he said had virtually crippled the economy of the state.

He said, “Let me assure you and let me assure the people of Lagos state and South-West, you know I am not like APC. When I promise something I will do it. I promised Nigerians that I am going to restructure this country, I am going to do it.

“Look at what they have done. Our traffic cannot move. On the day the President was coming, they removed all the trucks. No sooner he left all the trucks are back. With a PDP government, you are not going to have this congestion again. So the people of Lagos, please vote for PDP all the way.”

Also speaking, the PDP National Chairman, Uche Secondus, said by electing his party in the forthcoming elections, Lagos would regain freedom from the “hand of emperor”.

He decried that many industries and businesses had shut down in Lagos which is the commercial capital of the Nigeria since the APC assumed power.

“Since 2015, there has been go-slow in Lagos, all businesses shut down, all industries shut down. Unemployment has increased. Economy has collapsed. Security has collapsed,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Arewa

Atiku Gets 55 Cartons Of Documents From INEC As He Closes His Case Today

Published

on



Ahead of Friday’s sitting, the Independent National Electoral Commission has produced the documents which the presidential election petitions tribunal, in Abuja called for on Wednesday at the instance of the Peoples Democratic Party and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar.

The documents which were packed in 55 cartons would be the last to be presented to the tribunal as the petitioners are expected to close their case on Friday.

However, only 58 out of its proposed 400 witnesses had been called as of Wednesday which happened to be the ninth of the ten days given to the petitioners by the tribunal to present their case.

The petitioners are, by their petition, challenging the victory of President Muhammadu Buhari and his All Progressives Congress at the February 23 poll.

The tribunal of five judges led by Justice Mohammed Garba had on Wednesday ordered INEC to produce the documents by noon on Thursday.

This followed the complaints by the petitioners that the subpoenas issued and served on INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu, and the commission’s resident electoral commissioner in Zamfara State to produce the documents had not been complied with.

The tribunal had on Wednesday adjourned the case until Friday, but the counsel to the PDP and Atiku, Chris Uche (SAN), attended the Thursday’s proceedings scheduled for hearing in respect of other petitions filed by the Hope Democratic Party and the Peoples Democratic Movement.

Uche said his presence in court was to ensure INEC’s compliance with the Wednesday’s order of the tribunal.

At about the time the five-man panel was to recede to chambers to write a ruling in respect of PDM’s petition, Uche informed the bench of his intention in court on Thursday.

In reaction, Justice Garba asked for update from INEC’s lawyer, Yunus Usman (SAN).

Replying, Usman informed the tribunal that the “documents had been substantially produced.

“It is a very tedious task, but we have to obey the court’s order,” he stated.

Within the period of the one-hour break observed by the members of the tribunal, INEC officials had brought in a total of 55 boxes of documents into the court room.

When the tribunal resumed sitting, INEC’s lawyer informed the panel that the order of the court had been complied with.

Pointing to the cartons of documents lined up in the courtroom, Usman said since the order of court was not for INEC officials on whom the subpoenas were earlier served to testify, the Director of Legal Services, Mrs Oluwatoyin Babalola, was present to represent the commission.

He also said there was a cover letter signed by the secretary to INEC, Mrs. Rose Orianran-Anthony, accompanying the documents.

He noted that the request by the petitioners for result sheets for the national assembly rerun election in Zamfara State were not available as no such election was conducted.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Atiku Obasanjo

Buhari vs Atiku: PDP tenders 1,353 result sheets at presidential tribunal

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, on Friday tendered a total of 1,353 result sheets at the ongoing presidential election petitions tribunal sitting in Abuja.

Counsel to PDP and its 2019 presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, Chris Uche told the tribunal that the result sheets comprised of EC8As and EC8Bs from 11 states.

EC8A is the final result for a polling unit while EC8B is the final result at the ward level.

Uche told the tribunal that the EC8As are 1,266 and the EC8Bs are 87 in number.

“We have EC8As and Bs. The EC8As are 1,266 and the EC8Bs are 87 in number.

“We have 38 receipts as payments for the documents,” he said.

But counsel to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Yunus Usman objected to admission of the documents as evidence.

He contended that the reason for objecting to the admission of the result sheets would be contained in their final written address.

“We object to the admissibility of these documents. [Reasons] will be in our final address,” he said.

Lateef Fagbemi, counsel of the All Progressives Congress (APC), also objected to the admission of the documents.

“We object and reason for our objection will be till the end of time in this case,” he said.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Atiku Obasanjo

Buhari’s anti-corruption not different from Obasanjo, Jonathan’s style – CACOL

Published

on

The Centre for Anti-Corruption and Open Leadership has said President Muhammadu Buhari’s approach to the fight against corruption was nothing new compared to those of his predecessors – Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Alhaji Musa Yar’Adua and Dr Goodluck Jonathan.

In a statement yesterday by its Media and Publications Officer, Toyin Odofin, CACOL noted that corruption was Nigeria’s greatest problem.

The group submitted that the gross underdevelopment in Nigeria was rooted in corruption, because the resources that should have been used for public good were being cornered by a few individuals.

The statement quoted CACOL’s Executive Chairman, Mr Debo Adeniran, as calling on relevant anti-graft agencies to be “more total and pragmatic in the fight against corruption to root the orgy of corruption completely out of the country.

“The current government’s fight against corruption must be reviewed to make any tangible impact.

“The fight against official heist under the Muhammadu Buhari government has been just same way of its predecessors since 1999, in terms of scope and width of operations and too discriminatory to achieve the ultimate goal of dissuading office holders from their seeming pathological attachment to corruptive acts.

“This is without any prejudice to the courage and greater resolve so far shown by this government in tackling the menace like the Single Treasury Account, whistleblower policy, among others, which are no doubt, very bold and unprecedented steps towards stemming the tide of corruption.

“However, as good as all these measures sound, they amount to little or nothing if in prosecuting this historical fight, some government officials are still seen to be ‘untouchables’”.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

%d bloggers like this: