1,000 clerics of the Christian faith stormed Abuja on Thursday for the grand finale of a rally to endorse President Muhammadu Buhari.
The clerics claim Buhari “is anointed to lead the country for eight years, and as such, should be given the necessary support for him to fulfil the prophecy”.
They gathered at the Unity Fountain, Abuja, under the auspices of the National Inter-Faith and Religious Organizations for Peace (NIFROP).
They urged Nigerians not to disrupt the flow of God’s blessing to the land, but support Buhari’s reelection bid, so he could “continue running the errand God has sent him”.
Speaking at the rally, Bishop Sunday Garuba, National President of NIFROP, said: “Before NIFROP announced today’s rally sometime last week, we had been led by the spirit to hold forty days of fasting and prayer. In the course of this exercise, undertaken on behalf of the nation, it was revealed to us that President Buhari is God’s anointed to lead Nigeria to greater heights.
“As you can see, we are more than 1,000 clerics across faiths and denominations. We are apolitical and only delivered this message concerning President Buhari for it what our maker has collectively instructed us to do and we cannot do otherwise, lest we attract wrath unto ourselves.
“The unison of 1,000 clerics of diverse faiths is something that should prick the interest of Nigerians. But it is not a phenomenon for which we should waste time seeking answers. The leadership style of President Buhari as defender of all faiths, ordained to save our religions, is the source of the newfound cohesion that has toned down the tendency for religion to be the source of strife among communities. The naysayers may argue it but Nigeria is on the way to recording fewer and fewer instances of sectarian strife until the larger population of Nigeria will enjoy the kind of cordial relations we have at NIFROP.
“Fortunately, this godly touch is manifesting in other facets of our national life. The corruption that used to be the trademark of Nigeria is now being recognized as an abomination to our creator, something that has been made possible by President Buhari. We are aware that there are those now seeking to return Nigeria to Egypt, back to the days when corruption and theft of public funds was the order of the day.
“We stand on the revelation given to us by God to declare that as He decreed, so shall it be. We on this note appeal to the electorate to ward off evil from Nigeria by aligning with God’s will by voting President Buhari to continue with the work that has been entrusted to him.
“We are aware that the opposition has been making false claims to present themselves as the ones destined to take Nigeria to a greater height and that they can liberate Nigerians but we know this for what it is. Lies of the devil! They are known to the Bible as it is stated in 2 Peter 2:19 that ‘They promise (Nigerians) them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved’. Nigerians must therefore take heed lest they fall the lying tongue that is intent on misleading them to reject God’s choice for them.”
Ondo Communal Clash: Death Toll Rises To Four
Gbenga Akinpelumi, one of the locals that were attacked during a communal clash in Araromi Obu in Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State is dead, SaharaReporters can confirm.
A relative of Akinpelumi, who does not want his name published, disclosed the sad news to SaharaReporters on Friday.
He said Akinpelumi sustained injuries from the gunshots which penetrated his abdomen.
“Akinpelumi could not survive the surgeries carried out on him by the doctors. Sadly, we lost him at exactly 12: 48 midnight on Thursday,” the relative said on the phone.
Akinpelumi, a farmer, was among those injured and rushed to the Trauma and Surgical Centre, Ondo shortly after the clash between the locals.
The clash occurred between the people of Araromi Obu living in Ago Alaye town and the Ikale community in Okitipupa Local Government Area of the State.
Both southern communities in Ondo State were fighting over a “land” as no fewer than eight persons were injured while properties worth millions of naira were destroyed during the attacks.
With the sad development, the death toll in the community has risen to four while the remaining injured are still receiving various treatments in the hospital.
Meanwhile, it was gathered on Friday that the residents of Ago Alaye town in Odigbo Local Government Area of the state have now deserted the community over the fear of another attack.
This development led to the declaration of a 24-hour curfew on the town by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu with a charge on security agencies to beef up security in the nook and cranny of the community.
The governor has also embarked on an on-the-spot assessment of the communities with a warning that any person found culpable in the violence would be made to face the wrath of the law.
He said, “Our administration will not condone any form of criminalities in the state.”
The governor was accompanied by the Commissioner of Police, Mr Undie Adie, the Brigade Commander of the 32 Artillery Brigade, Brig. Gen. Zakari Abubakar, and other security chiefs.
When he visited the palace of the Ajobu of Araromi Obu, Oba Aderemi Adelola, the governor assured him of maximum security of lives and property of the people of the town.
He said, “Our government is ready to take action on Ago Alaye community if the violence persists.”
Akeredolu, who said security forces were on the ground to maintain peace and order, commended the monarch for maintaining peace in the community by appealing to the people against a reprisal.
“I have heard that you called your subjects that there should not be any reprisal. You have maintained peace within Araromi community. We thank you for that. We will not allow miscreant to disturb the peace in this community.”
At the palace of Abodi of Ikaleland, Oba George Faduyile, the governor pleaded with the traditional rulers in Ikaleland to caution their subjects.
Akeredolu added that the state government would set up a committee to look into the cause of conflict.
Transfer: Guardiola reveals player he would love to sign for Man City
The Premier League champions have failed to replace Vincent Kompany, after the Belgian decided to quit the Etihad after 10 years, to become player-manager at Anderlecht.
City are refusing to meet Leicester’s £90million valuation of Harry Maguire, while reports of a possible move for Benfica’s Ruben Dias has been dismissed by club officials.
That means City could go into the new season with John Stones, Aymeric Laporte, Nicolas Otamendi and youngsters Eric Garcia and Taylor Harwood Bellis.
“We are so happy with the squad we have.
“I don’t know if the players here will stay or new players will come, but since I came here I have been delighted with the players we have.
“Maybe we (will replace Kompany), but we have three incredible central defenders.
“And Fernandinho can play in that position, also. We will see,” Guardiola told reporters on their pre-season tour.
City have so far spent a club-record £63million on Spanish midfielder Rodri and £6million to bring back full-back Angelino from PSV Eindhoven.
United States Of Biafra: Asari Dokubo Urges Niger Deltans To Join South-east, Slams Northerners
Asari Dokubo, founder of the Niger Delta People’s Volunteer Force has declared his support for the actualization of Biafra while calling on Niger Delta people to return home following threats from Arewa youths.
His declaration came on the heels of northerners asking herdsmen to leave the South and the suspended implementation of Ruga settlements in parts of Nigeria.
Dokubo made his position known in a meeting with leaders of Niger Delta states.
He said: “We, the people of the Niger Delta today, resolved to be part and parcel of the actualization the United States of Biafra.
“What has brought us here today is the dark cloud that is gathering. In 1967, we did not ask for war, war was imposed on us and millions of our people were killed. Our properties were destroyed and so many people until today are carrying the scars of that imposed war.
“Our people have not gone to Kano, Kebbi, Sokoto, Borno to ask that land be forcefully given to us or that our resources should be used to give us properties in the north.
“But northern organizations and northern individuals have come up to say we must surrender our land to them to create colonies on our land. Are you going to allow that?
“We will not surrender one grain of sand of our sacred land to anybody. We will stand on our land and wait for you to come and carry out your threat and inshallah by the grace of God we will defeat you.
“We have heard that you have called your people to come back home. They should all go, we will assist them to leave (because) this is what we have been looking for all along.
“We call on our people, Igbo, Ibibio, Ikwerre, Ijaw return back home. If anything happens to you and this coward spines on you, you would have yourself to blame. We would not continue to risk our integrity and our pride because of you, return home now.
“We extend a hand of fellowship to our brothers in the middle belt who are suffering the same pain and deprivation as we do. We are with you in your hours of grief and pain and we will stand with you to the end.
“To our Yoruba brothers in Afenifere, and the leader of Afenifere whose daughter has been gruesomely murdered by this Gambari invaders. We condole with you but this is the price we have to pay to wake up.”
Crime2 days ago
Police arrest suspected cultists, armed robbers in Cross River
World News2 days ago
Hong Kong: ‘Silver protest’ as elderly march in support of youths | World News
World News1 day ago
US warship destroys Iranian drone in Strait of Hormuz | World News
Arewa2 days ago
Senate speaks on SSANU, NASU strike
World News2 days ago
Iran seizes foreign tanker with 12 crew accused of smuggling oil | World News
Arewa1 day ago
El-Zakzaky, Dasuki must not die in detention – HURIWA warns Buhari
Crime1 day ago
Nigeria Customs Intercepts Ambulance Laden With Tramadol
Arewa3 days ago
Senate begins screening of CJN Tanko